FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The new ambition of the younger generation

Author Topic: The new ambition of the younger generation
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... sort of

Slightly more interesting than the "ambitious" 1% of respondents (6 people) is the fact that Penn supposedly thought that he encountered a real trend [Eek!]

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
well, in my high school, there were at least 4 kids who openly wanted to be assassins, so I'm not really surprised.

I wish I had something more productive to add, but you know... I wonder how many responded Jedi?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is convinced that in ten years he wil be living, already rich, as a ninja in the woods on a mountain in vermont.

I beilieve it to. He takes swordfighting classes, gets staight A's, has a job, owns various weopons, has already built a small cabin in the woods near his house, and is one of my best friends.

You can just imagine the adventures we have.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall a similar survey which discovered that 2% of America's youth responded "myself" when asked who their biggest hero was.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Only one percent?

Slackers.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly. If only 1% become snipers, we're going to be at a critical disadvantage in the Zombie Wars. Come on, young people, step up for America and non-undead mankind!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm figuring on defecting early on in the Zombie Wars.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I will offering refuge in my Mountain Lair to those fleeing from the Zombie Hoards. The kitchen is not Kosher, but provision could be made.

It might be a bit of swim from New Jersey, Tante, but we *do* have fluffy towels...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, you're offering refuge to an admitted turn-coat?

I've seen that movie, include me out.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
In all honesty, there is little chance of me making it past the zombie hordes, across the ocean and up the mountain. You go on with out me, and remember me kindly whenever you towel off fluffily.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Snipers is kind of vague. I wonder if they meant Army special forces snipers, or Antonio Banderas vs. Sylvester Stallone snipers.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm figuring on defecting early on in the Zombie Wars.
When I first read this, I could swear there was an "a" in the middle of "defecting". It still sounded pretty feasible.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that in fifth grade, a significant percentage of my class were planning on becoming ninjas...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tante Schvester Memorial Towel.

"Whenever wet things are dried, in a fluffy manner, we will remember her."

*sniff*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if they'd asked me what I'd be doing in 10 years, I'd have said, "I'll be a zombie, or have had my brains eaten by one." 'Cause I'm pretty sure I have no chance of running fast enough or hitting hard enough or blowing things up cleverly enough to get away, so I'll either be infected/undead or dead and eaten (depending on what kind of zombies they are.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, please do consider that the world really does need Snipers. The military has them, the police have them, and I'm sure there are a few free-lance snipers around for hire.

Some kids really do grow up to be legal snipers.

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but 1%? That's a little much.

ketchupqueen, I'm right there with you. I'm definitely not fast/hardcore enough to take out multiple zombies. If there's ever going to be a zombie war (and with the data I've read, it looks likely in the next 10 years), I'm going to be a strategist for the zombies. Those guys could use some organization.

Edit to add: But really, that poll was only 600 people. That means that only 6 (or less, given rounding) people needed to say that. I would have much rather been a pirate or ninja though.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anyone who lives in a major population center has very poor chances of survival in the coming Z War. After watching The Mist last night I realized that the house we just bought is very poorly equipped to fend off anything, from giant bugs from another dimension to zombies to velociraptor attacks. Poor planning on my part, I guess.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, looking into this microtrends book lead to me wondering what the heck a philo-semite is.

I didn't get that Penn's whole methodology is to look for something that is only 1% and then exploit it to his own nefarious ends. It's like he's a meta-sniper.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.