FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for comfort music

Author Topic: Looking for comfort music
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never thought I'd come to hatrack with a tale of woe and anguish, and I don't want to start now. Suffice it to say, I'm going through a very very difficult time in my life right now. I had a close friend go off the deep end take drastic measures this past week. This was a good friend of mine and I'm mourning the loss of a great friend and a human being that had so much potential.

I take alot of comfort and solace through music, but this is one situationwhere my library falls short. Basically I've been listening to Return to Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins over and over again. Taking myself back to the good times that we had together, and at the same time inspiring some hope for being able to meet again.

I don't know what you'd recommend, but I'd appreciate any prayers or thoughts that you'd have for me or my friend.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences, man.

I'm not sure about comfort music, but I can recommend some relaxing music. Iron and Wine's "Endless Numbered Days" and "The Creek Drank the Cradle" are both really relaxing. I'm not really sure what else to recommend, since my comfort music doesn't really seem appropriate for the situation (music akin to ska or reggae.)

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate Wolf: "Friend of Mine" (and a lot of her stuff is relaxing and just comforting to me, too.)
The Beatles: "Blackbird"

I don't know how you stand on religious music/gospel... If you'd like recommendations for that I've got some.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Van Morrison's "Bright Side of the Road".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's I find great piece of mind in clasical music. If I'm feeling down I like to listen to the album "Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello" by Yo-Yo Ma; especially the prelude for Suite # in G. It was used as one of the themes from the film Master and Commander, and it clears my mind like a cool sea breeze.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest Erik Satie. I'd personally not listen to Bach if I were depressed, but that's just a personal thing.

Some Beatles albums might be the thing, or even something like Bob Marley.

One of the things I like to do when I feel down is to listen to popular music from when I was in middles school. It has an interesting effect.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure exactly what kind of music you are looking for but "From where you are" by Lifehouse is a powerful song for missing someone you lost
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Story's album "Beguiled" is extremely calming and relaxing. I listen to it when I'm really upset and need to get some inner peace.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
It may just make you more sad, but any song from the independent film "Once" is great, light and soft. But most of the songs are about relationships, so while said they may send your mind in a different direction.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably go ahead and watch the Lord of the Rings movies. Thats what I do when Im feeling down. It has a good soundtrack, plus theres the added bonus of a good story... Plus Aragon kills the bad guys... You cant go wrong... Watch... And forget....
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Barber's "Agnus Dei" or "Adagio for Strings".
Both are the same song, one is for choir, the other is for...you guessed it! Strings!

It's a work that, to me, is incredibly cathartic in that it starts out somber and reflective, has increasing anguish, then ends in a....I'm sorry. I can't find the words to express it; you just have to hear it.

Also, "Elegy" by John Barnes Chance is another piece in a similar vein.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Philosofickle,
Can you send me your email address?
I will send you a song or two.

edob63@yahoo.com

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwwbXHNGsjU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rLbFOmurCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiWsWzUgcXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUFtDHwSPU

These songs always cheer me up!!!

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that trance music (my favorite type of music) can be very comforting and relaxing.

Touched by the Sun by Envio. That's Envio's Sunrise Remix of the song which is excellent. The Rusch & Elusive Remix has an extended melody and is also very good. Both can be bought on iTunes (though the full sunrise remix is contained in that video).
Zocalo by Armin Van Buuren.
Airwave by Rank 1. I couldn't find the full version of the song but the radio edit is good.
Sail by Armin Van Buuren.

EDIT: I find the emotions that these songs can invoke to be really powerful. For my own sanity I'd like to know if anyone at least tries listening to Touched by the Sun.

[ April 09, 2008, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Threads ]

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the suggestions, they've helped out alot.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.