FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music Writing/Composition Programs

Author Topic: Music Writing/Composition Programs
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I like composing music. I do a lot of it in my spare time. I don't really have means to record things, so I mostly rely on either MIDI programs or sound generators. I'm currently using Guitar Pro 5.2 with the Real Sound Engine, and I'm really liking it. I was wondering if any of you used different programs to do this kind of thing. I generally prefer to avoid using loops, but I'm not completely averse to the idea. Free would be nice, but I wouldn't mind paying for something, if it came with a strong enough recommend.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably not exactly what you're looking for (I'll let the music majors give better answers), but I have a little (free) program called Hyperscore that I really like playing around with to compose music.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually pretty awesome, Farmgirl. Thanks a lot.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Fruity Loops is nice. You can download a demo of it here for free. You can't save any of the music you make, but it is a great introduction to a very powerful music making tool.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh... I would probably 'somehow acquire' Adobe Audition 3.0 if I were you. Its what my band uses to record everything. Learn to play the instruments if you dont know how, and then record through a mic... Or a mixer, depending on how rich you are....
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband does a lot of composing/ arranging, both professionally and for fun, and I know that the two programs he uses are Sibelius and LogicPro. He's gotten a lot of use out of Sibelius--he's been using it in different versions since around 2001. Not free, but the student price is not bad.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.