FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Poking fun at a film that deserves it.

Author Topic: Poking fun at a film that deserves it.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Eric Snider reviews "Superman IV"

I actually re-watched it (along with the other Superman films) in 2006. If anything, Eric's milder than I would be. [Big Grin]

(My own favorite Superman movie is the Dini/Timm animated series pilot.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That review is so true. I'm fond of Superman, but nothing can make me fond of that film.
The same guy's also written a scarily accurate review of 'Super Mario Brothers'

quote:
The movie bears so little resemblance to the video game that I'm tempted to think their matching titles is simply a coincidence. "What?!" the executives at Buena Vista Pictures must have exclaimed. "There's a video game called 'Super Mario Bros.' too? Huh. Weird. Is the game about a cruel reptilian dictator who hates mammals even though he looks like one himself and who also hates evolution and wants to merge two dimensions and rule the world? No? Then we're safe. Whew. Tell the lawyers to stand down."
[Smile]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I enjoyed Super Mario Bros. But, then again, Dennis Hopper can make any move not suck.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Hey, I enjoyed Super Mario Bros.

I think this is just proof that there's something seriously wrong with you.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Super Mario Bros.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Super Mario Brothers was the first movie we took Amanda to when she was just a baby. It was at a $1 theater in Chicago. I figured that if she cried, people wouldn't care too much, and it gave us a night out. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The ONLY good part of SMB was the cameo by Joe L'erario and Ed Feldman.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually kind of want to see Super Mario Bros. Doesn't Mark Wahlberg play Luigi?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I actually kind of want to see Super Mario Bros. Doesn't Mark Wahlberg play Luigi?

No, but John Leguizamo does!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Knowing that the Superman franchise is borrowing plots from The Brady Bunch should give you a strong indication of how desperate things have become.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The saddest part of the Super Mario Brothers movie is: By the time (very late in the film) Mario and Luigi put on their iconic outfits and actually use mushrooms for weird powers, it ends up being the least cheesy part of the film.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

John Leguizamo? Really? Is Mark Wahlberg in the film at all?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Hey, I enjoyed Super Mario Bros.

I think this is just proof that there's something seriously wrong with you.
Well hell, I could have told you that. [Razz]

In particular, I love the soundtrack: Roxette's Almost Unreal.

quote:
John Leguizamo? Really? Is Mark Wahlberg in the film at all?
If you're trying to make the film sound better, I think you're going about it all wrong.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Cap'n Lou Albano is the only true Mario.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Oh, and they never made a fourth Superman movie. Or a sequel in the new millenium.

That wacky Eric Snider, reviewing movies that were never made . . .

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Oh, and they never made a fourth Superman movie. Or a sequel in the new millenium.

You allow for the existence of Superman III and Supergirl, though. [Wink]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Superman III totally exists, but only as the awesome movie I remember seeing when I was, like, 10 years old. Any crappy versions that contradict my memory of that delightful film are the product of your fevered imaginings or possibly a communist plot. [Monkeys]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw Supergirl. Is it bad enough to be good?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Yes. What Enigmatic said.

(That, and the Clark Vs. Supes fight forgiveth a multitude of sins.)

And Supergirl exists, but solely as a movie I never saw but had heard about and had hope for when I got a chance to see it.

The actual watching never happened.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Supergirl is...weird. It's mostly boring, mostly weird, and seems to be anything -but- a super-hero movie. Despite being a super-hero movie.

Still, Helen Slater was kinda cute. [Blushing]

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Cap'n Lou Albano is the only true Mario.

Ron Jeremy also makes an interesting Mario; I'd post the pictures (they are PG), but somehow I think that violates forum policy anyway...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I sometimes want to see a film adaptation of What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?, an infamous early 21st century Superman story. Superman encounters a team of snobby, know-it-all British super-people who believe in killing their enemies and interfering heavily with the human world beyond catching baddies.

It confirmed that if Superman actually -did- use his powers to their fullest potential and took away his no-killing/no unnecessary force rules, then he'd be the scariest monster in all fantastic fiction.

Powerful story. It'd make a great film.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.