FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Choose Your Own Adventure

Author Topic: Choose Your Own Adventure
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody here ever read Choose Your Own Adventure books? Well, some of them are back in print (mainly some of the books by R. A. Montgomery and a few lesser-known authors---no Cave of Time, unfortunately). Not only that, the reprints have been revised to make them read better and to bring certain details of the settings up to date.

I'm reading Escape, one I never read the first time around, and it's better than I thought it would be. The writing is fairly simple, but it's evocative and has some good lines. Also, there is logic behind many of the choices; it pays to think them through before you make them. Of course, it's also interesting to read the bad endings to see what happens.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I had numbers 2, 3, and 4. There was also one about a haunted house, but the one they show there doesn't look familiar.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love those books...though I always cheated.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
I used to love those books...though I always cheated.

It's not cheating when the choices are, "Climb the ladder onto roof rafters" or, "Walk down the stairs into the basement." It's stupid that one of those choices leads to death and one to success.

[ April 15, 2008, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the "choices" I remember was in a scifi story. A plate of food is put before you, there is a yellow item and a brown item. If you eat the brown item....you shove it in your mouth and promptly choke because you have never actually chewed food before (having survived on protein mixes). If you eat the yellow item...you pick it up and ask the guard, what do I do with this? The guard then explains the concept of eating so you survive. I never did figure out how someone was supposed to figure that out before hand.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love these books too.

But, it was always 20 times more fun to write my own with my friends.

Hatrack would write a HILARIOUS Choose Your Own Adventure novel.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I used to love these books too.

But, it was always 20 times more fun to write my own with my friends.

Hatrack would write a HILARIOUS Choose Your Own Adventure novel.

Incidentally I started a hatrack Choose Your Own adventure thread over a year ago. It was just getting interesting when one of the participants just disappeared.

Linky

Oh that I had time to do another such thread.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My sisters and I got most of the way through making a version of Deadwood City in BASIC on the Commodore 64.

They were a mixed bag, to be certain, but pretty innovative for their time and usually good fun.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought 15 of them for $10 at the local Salvation Army. I'm gonna give them to my son for his birthday.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love them - until I read one where literally every choices ultimately resulted in death.

I was pissed. Never read one again.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looker
Member # 11566

- posted      Profile for Looker   Email Looker         Edit/Delete Post 
Or we could try to do something like the "choose your own adventure", I've always wanted to do this on other forums, but other poepl just don't seem to be able to keep up...

We all agree on a polt, setting, etc. One person starts it, then the next person adds 1 or 2 more paragraphs onto it. It's like a story written from many different perspectives! We should try, comedy would work best here I think...

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
I used to love them - until I read one where literally every choices ultimately resulted in death.

I was pissed. Never read one again.

Sure that wasn't the Hark series?
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed these books. I guess today is "Childhood Book Series" day. Here's a great site that lists them all, complete with reviews on most.

I would be very much up for a CYOA on Hatrack, but not 'til finals are over. Can ya'll wait?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.