FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Earthquake Shakes Midwest

Author Topic: Earthquake Shakes Midwest
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there already a thread about this? I didn't see one, but I expected there to be.

In any case, a relatively small (5.2, it looks like) earthquake shook the midwest early this morning.

Here is the US Geological Survey's report on it.

Anybody feel it?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't. [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Corwin
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up, but I didn't know why until this morning.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of a friend of mine once thought he was too drunk, that's why everything in the room was moving. He tried to go back to sleep. He only realized what happened next morning when my friend called and asked "are you alright? you didn't get hurt in the earthquake?"
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I slept through it, apparently. Which is sort of a shame, since I'm apparently less than a hundred miles from the epicenter.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister lives in Evansville, IN, which is about 60 miles from the epicenter. She said it lasted about 30 seconds or so. She is fine.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there we go, a mild aftershock.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sound asleep and didn't feel a thing, but my poor husband had to work straight through the night on some emergency and he felt it. We're not all that close, though -- Kansas City area. I was surprised he felt it but apparently his building will collapse if there's ever a real earthquake.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just waking up when it started. I woke up very quickly after that!
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No feeling in Detroit... but I was totally sleeping till just a minute ago.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Christine, I didn't know you lived around there. I grew up near Lawrence.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Oh, there we go, a mild aftershock.

I was just wondering why I hadn't gotten a notification of it (I registered to get emailed earthquake reports from the US geological survey a few years ago) when the report popped up in my inbox. Looks like it was a 4.5.
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I had students in my room at the time of that aftershock. I thought I felt something, but none of them did. I'm glad to know that I'm not just paranoid.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard something and thought it was hail... but no hail last night... I think 30 seconds would have been the right duration.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the last time I was in a 5.0 earthquake. I was in the kitchen getting a drink of water and my mother was in a chair watching TV. My mother asked me if I felt the ground shaking. I stopped, and sure enough felt the ground moving. I said to my mother, "Yep" drank the water and went back to my room and my video games. Later found out the center of that one was about 8 miles away.

After going through the '89 quake in San Francisco, anything under 6.0 isn't hardly worth noticing.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's very interesting.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
At about 4:15am my beagle started barking. It woke me up. I went to the basement to quiet her down, and our Chow/shepherd mix went with me. He ran down into the basement, and the beagle quieted up.

I was grumpy and upset that I had to be up in an hour, so had to suffer through another lousy night's sleep.

A few minutes later I thought I heard the dogs coming upstairs, but they started barking in the basement. I thought it might be my son on his way to the potty, walking down the hall.

Then our bed started shaking a bit. It was fun.

The dogs never did stop barking. I think they just wanted to go out for a walk.

Only damage we found were some baseball pennants we had barely hanging on the wall were on the floor.

Oh, and my wife had some--romantically interesting dreams--shall we say. I don't know if they were caused by the earthquake, but I am certainly going to tease her about it for a long time to come.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I live about twelve miles outside of Chicago. I was up a a little after 4 am. Never felt a thing.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Chicago, and I didn't feel a thing. I felt one once in Israel and once in the Santa Cruz area, but nothing here.

The one in Santa Cruz was kind of funny. There was this rumble, and I thought a truck was passing by outside. But it kept going, and after a little bit, I looked at Havah and said, "I think this is an earthquake".

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up right around that time. Then I couldn't get back to sleep because every few minutes for about an hour and a half, small amounts of dust would fall down inside the chimney, slightly freaking me out. I finally did get back to sleep, had to get up to take the kids to school and went back to sleep when I got home, thus sleeping through the aftershock.

I'm in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and am not sure whether the earthquake woke me up the first time or whether the stuff falling in the chimney was related at all ... but it's possible. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up around that time too, but I think it was a coincidence, as Telp said, I've yet to hear anyone in Detroit report anything, but I have heard on the news some people in southwest Michigan reported light tremors, but given how far down into Illinois it is, I doubt that.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a decent sized earthquake once while I was in high school band practice. I thought one of the trumpets behind me was kicking my chair. Then I realized that everything was sort of rippling.

When it stopped, everyone was absolutely still. No one said anything.

Then the guy sitting next to me sprints across the room and dives under a table. He's crouching there, everyone in the class staring blankly at him while he stares back with a huge s**t-eating grin.

Brilliant. I wish my comedic timing was that good.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I live in California. I'm pretty sure that means that I win until Rivka posts.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My teacher's apartment collapsed with her and her 4-year-old son in it in the Northridge earthquake when I was in 5th grade... She was out for a week and then her son came to class for 2 weeks while she found a new preschool for him because the building his had been in was condemned...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.