FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mayonnaise! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mayonnaise!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've made my own mayonnaise, but it is better that I don't. The jarred mayonnaise is passable, and I'll have a little once in a while, but the homemade kind is so delicious that it tempts me to eat more mayonnaise than is good for me.

Quid, if you don't have mustard, that's OK. Season it up with hot peppers, and you'll like it just fine. You know you will!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm resurrecting this old thread.

Turns out that mustard powder was available here. Hidden, not readily available all the time, but occasionally and often enough that it's not a problem. [Smile] I also frequently add red chili powder for flavour. [Razz] And my favourite so far is with a clove of minced garlic added. Yum!

I haven't bought a bottle of mayo since, well, then. I had a few issues with emulsion, but switched from grocery store eggs (labelled as five days old on average) to eggs from the shop a hundred yards down the road and haven't had problems since. [Smile]

So. You know. Happiness reigns.

That is all. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Even though this thread reminded me that I forgot all about going to Ruth's Diner in Emigration Canyon for Polenta Benedict while I had the chance.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sorry about that. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, minced garlic is nice in mayo. I like doing that with chopped basil too. Chili powder sounds good.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Red chili powder is heavenly. [Smile] Gives it a nice bite. [Smile]

I'd love to try chopped basil. I've tried growing some, but the seeds didn't germinate, or the ants stole them, so it looks like I'm going to have to order more seeds before that happens. And that'll take another couple of months or so... [Smile]

I also once made a batch with coconut vinegar (it was the only kind I had in the house at that moment), which gave it an interesting flavour. That was pretty nice, too, but doesn't work all the time for everything. But then, garlic mayonnaise doesn't work well with tuna sandwiches, in my opinion.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.