FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The summer movie season begins soon...

Author Topic: The summer movie season begins soon...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...no matter what month summer begins in the natural world, in Hollywood it begins the first weekend of May.

Lots of big, bright, dumb, hopefully wonderful films coming out.

Which ones do you plan to see?

• An alcoholic, jerk of a weapons manufacturer saves the world. Um, yay? (Iron Man)
  • Some old cartoon. It was one of those whadyacallums? Japanimation? Now it's live action! Hmmm. (Speed Racer)
  • Evil Spanish people have taken over a nation of talking animals. Only cranky British kids and a lion who sounds like Qui Gon Jinn can save the day! (The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian)
  • Never let George Lucas pick the title. (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)
  • A tradition rich in culture and beauty is used for cheap laughs with a obese ursine. (Kung Fu Panda)
  • This time, the twist is that there -is- no twist! Ooooo. (The Happening)
  • Try to pretend what you watched five years ago never happened. (The Incredible Hulk)
  • Steve Carell...can he make us forget Don Adams? (Get Smart)
  • The one that's obviously a rip-off of "Short Circuit". We're onto you, Pixar! (WALL*E)
  • Will Smith as...Will Smith! This time he has powers and junk. (Hancock)
  • Bears no resemblance in any way to the comic book it's based on. And for once, that's a -good- thing! (Wanted)
  • Remember how the first movie had that cool scene where...uhm...hmmm. Well, the trailer for this one alone had cooler scenes than the entire first film did. (Hellboy II: The Golden Army)
  • Bat-garbed vigilante beats the stuffing out of scarred, mentally ill man. Gee, sounds like a -real- hero. (The Dark Knight)
  • The original "jukebox" musical is now a movie. Coming soon, the first "mix-tape" musical! (Mamma Mia!)
  • They're hoping it's been long enough that nostalgia for the characters will eclipse memories of that "Brady Bunch" episode. (The X-Files: I Want to Believe)
  • Aw, c'mon! How else will Brendan Fraser eat? (The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor)
  • The sequel to a prequel sequel...wait, the prequel to the original...no, it's the pilot for the final prequel which was a sequel to another...AAAARGH, my HEAD! (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
  • I'm sure it'll entertain someone. (Beverly Hills Chihuahua)

Note: I plan to see all these movies save the last one. I'm sure all or most will be fun. [Big Grin]

Edit: I'm sure I've missed several. I know there was one my sister was really looking forward to...hmmm.

[ April 23, 2008, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have a massive crush on Brendan Fraser and will sit through anything where Jet Li does some martial arts, I'll definitely be seeing Mummy 3. The Chronicles of Narnia looks pretty good, too. The rest I may get drug to by my friends, but I'm not planning on seeing them.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The only one I want to see is X-files.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What I'll be seeing and what I won't be seeing, in chronological order of release date, starting in May:

• Explosions? Robert Downey Jr. comedy? Cool CGI? Explosions? Yeah, I'll be seeing Iron Man.
  • Huzzah! Finally I'll get to see a live action rendering of Reepicheep in Prince Caspian! This movie looks like an excellent portrayal of the book. Frankly LWW was a little disappointing for me, and not just because I think Quigon was a bad choice for Aslan's voice. I think this will be an excellent movie.
  • Okay, the title is a bit of a mouthful, but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull looks from the trailer like it will really recapture the feel of the originals. Maybe the old guys still got it.
  • Kung Fu Panda looks funny. Talking animals are nothing new, but they always seem to pick the perfect voice actors for these things, and Black I think will be no exception.
  • Anyone who has seen me post about it knows that I like M Night Shyamalan, and also that I have a mad crush on Zooey Deschanel. Given that, there's no way I'd miss The Happening. It looks freaky good.
  • Get Smart looks funny. I like Steve Carrell, but I think lately he's channelling too much Michael from The Office. If he can do something new, I think I'll like this, but I'll give it a chance at least.
  • Wall*E? No contest. I think it's going to be hilarious, cute, and maybe a little heartbreaking, and it'll be the best animated movie in years and for years to come.
  • Wanted I'll be seeing based on the strength of the cast alone. I'm a big James McAvoy fan, but the plot doesn't really grab me.
  • Puffy, how do you not have Hancock on your list? Will Smith isn't just Hollywood gold because of his name, he picks great movies and he's a fantastic actor. This one looks funny and action packed, and it'll make a great ID4 weekend movie.
  • It's likely that Guillermo del Toro himself being on the project for Hellboy 2 would draw me in, but the trailer was visually stunning as well. I'm in.
  • Okay, when I first read the premise for The Pineapple Express I thought it looked like a dumb stoner movie but not funny dumb stoner like Harold and Kumar, but I watched the trailer and it looks hilarious.

Movies I might see.

• The Dark Knight just doesn't look that impressive for me. I wasn't that impressed with the last Batman movie. If Mark Hamill had been cast as the Joker, I'd be there with bells on, but alas...
  • I've yet to see the stage production of [v]Mamma Mia[/b] but I love musical movies, so there's a good chance. But this one always looked a little silly to me. Why can't they make a decent Les Mis movie?
  • I loved the first Mummy movie, I tolerated the second one, I hated The Scorpion King (even though I like many of Dwayne's subsequent movies), but The Mummy 3 might be a bridge too far. He's supposed to have a teenage son? And no Rachel Weiss?! I don't know if there's enough there. Is Oded Fehr even in this one? And holy crap, I just looked it up, they replaced Weisz with another actor? And there's no Oded? They've gone off the deep end.
  • Tropic Thunder looks incredibly stupid, but, a lot of the best comedies are really stupid. It's a war movie about comedic actors making a war movie but actually they are in a real war situation and don't know it. Convoluted? Yeah. Funny? Could be.

Movies I will almost certainly not see.

• I loved the cartoon as a kid, but this looks over the top and ridiculous. I can't tell what the plot even is. Speed Racer looks like NASCAR and ILM had an illegitimate lovechild. I have no interest in it, despite liking many of the people involved with it.
  • I have yet to see a trailer for The Incredible Hulk, but the last one was goofy, and frankly the comic never really hit home with me. I think I'll rent it, maybe, but not a theater visit.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely going to see The Dark Knight, I will very likely see Indiana Jones. Beyond that, nothing really looks all that interesting to me, unless Get Smart turns out good.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

[*]Puffy, how do you not have Hancock on your list? Will Smith isn't just Hollywood gold because of his name, he picks great movies and he's a fantastic actor. This one looks funny and action packed, and it'll make a great ID4 weekend movie.

It's there. I added it earlier after editing it to add that I had forgotten something I knew porc was anticipating. (Think-think-think...)
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see the trailers before Iron Man...

But in terms of actual movies, I imagine Iron Man itself, Indy, Harold & Kumar, Hancock, TDK, Caspian, and possibly WALL*E will make my summer viewing list - with several of them being multiple showings. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember how the first movie had that cool scene where...uhm...hmmm. Well, the trailer for this one alone had cooler scenes than the entire first film did. (Hellboy II: The Golden Army)
My fondest memory of the first Hellboy was

"My kittens! My kittens!"

"Aw, give me a break, lady!..."

I'd like to see about two-thirds of those. Going to wait on reviews to see if Speed Racer offers more than a virtually instant migraine. Chihuahua can return to whatever circle of Hell that was responsible for its development.

ADD: No Rachel Weisz, no Oded Fehr? They call that a Mummy movie? Pah!

[ April 22, 2008, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark Knight, The Happening, and Iron Man are definitely on the list. I'll probably see WALL-E when it comes out online. Other than that... I probably won't intentionally see anything else unless it gets rave reviews.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
WALL-E.

*double-checks*

Yup, that's it.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Definite = Indiana Jones, WALL-E

Maybe = Iron Man, Get Smart, Prince Caspian

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my list, a la Puffy and Lyrhawn.

For sure gonna be there, opening night if possible:
  • WALL-E is the Big One this year. I figure, based on past experience, that any Pixar movie will be at least ten times as good as its trailer. Usually, their trailers are so-so, and the end product is fantastic. WALL-E's is the first Pixar trailer that made me want to see it RIGHT NOW, THANK YOU. So clearly, it'll be the best damn animated movie ever made. [Big Grin]
  • The trailers have made it clear that Iron Man is essentially what you'd get if Joss Whedon made a big-budget superhero movie. I'm so there.
  • Loved Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight looks to be even better. I have a feeling that Heath Ledger's final performance will be mindblowingly awesome- even in the trailers, his Joker takes the established character and improves on it in every way. And they replaced the one weak actor in Batman Begins with the lovely and talented Maggie Gyllenhaal.
  • I really enjoyed the first Hellboy, so Hellboy 2 is a must for me. It's an action flick featuring Ron Perlman muttering sarcastic one-liners under his breath while wielding a giant pistol. Not even Uwe Bolle could mess that up, much less Del Toro, one of the finest genre directors working today.
  • Tropic Thunder gets on the list, because it's got some good buzz AND is the second movie this summer to feature a (semi-)comedic Robert Downey Jr. role.

Movies I'll see if my friends invite me:

• I love Steve Carell, but he's been in a lot of pretty crappy "comedies" lately. From the trailers, Get Smart seems to be more like Evan Almighty in tone than, say, The Daily Show or The Office.
  • I was originally thinking of it as the second coming of the Star Wars prequels, but the trailer for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was good enough that I may give it a try, depending on the reviews.
  • Hancock gets in because I like Will Smith, and the premise is of the sort that will end up either hilarious or horrible. Or both. Plus, I derive a wee bit of amusement from its original title: "Tonight, He Comes." Yes, I'm twelve.
  • I never watched much of the X-Files when it was on TV, but I'd give the new movie a chance if it gets good reviews.

Movies I will not see- which, in fact, I will avoid at all costs because I'm afraid that any association with them will result in infection by some sort of horrifying eyeball-eating bacteria:

• The Mummy 3 is the third installment of an action franchise that didn't interest me when I was a pimply teenager and thought that "Episode 1" was a work of genius. No thanks.
  • Although I do loves me some Zooey Deschanel, The Happening ain't happening. M. Night Shyamalan officially became uninteresting to me something like four movies ago.
  • Nothing I've seen about Kung Fu Panda makes it seem remotely worthy of my $8. And this is coming from someone who actually kind of likes Jack Black.
  • I think I was the only little Christian kid in America who found the Chronicles of Narnia insufferably dull after the first book. So Prince Caspian will be getting a pass... especially after the snoozeworthy CGI-fest (and not even good CGI!) that was the first movie.
  • Speed Racer looks silly and fun, but I feel like I'd come out of the theater either completely blinded by the shiny colors, or dry-heaving from motion sickness. Also, even as a kid, I couldn't bring myself to watch a show about a character whose actual name is "Speed Racer," and who, get this, races cars. It's as if Captain Picard was named "Space Commander Baldy McLikestonegotiate."
  • I actually liked the first Hulk movie, so I'm a bit annoyed that they're just jettisoning it entirely. Add in the unimpressive trailer, and the recent stories about the director and Edward Norton fighting with the studios over the final cut, and The Incredible Hulk looks to be a miss.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
I couldn't bring myself to watch a show about a character whose actual name is "Speed Racer," and who, get this, races cars. It's as if Captain Picard was named "Space Commander Baldy McLikestonegotiate."

[ROFL]

quote:
I actually liked the first Hulk movie, so I'm a bit annoyed that they're just jettisoning it entirely. Add in the unimpressive trailer, and the recent stories about the director and Edward Norton fighting with the studios over the final cut, and The Incredible Hulk looks to be a miss.

But on the other hand, the DVD should be worth picking up. (Double-disk set with "Director's Cut" and "Leading Actor's Cut"!)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Incredible Hulk generated a lot of anti-buzz late in the game, it's true.

Plus, there are rumbles from NY Comic Con that Lucasfilm showed nothing but the teasers that came out way back in February for Crystal Skull and Clone Wars, causing some to wonder if the films are having problems.

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I will be seeing:

Indy!
Batman!
Wall-E!
Will Smith!

And....that's probably it. 4 movies for a summer is a lot for me. I think last summer I saw 3. Everything else gets rented from the Netflix.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mummy 3 might be a bridge too far. He's supposed to have a teenage son?
Actually, I just looked up the movie on IMDB. Apparently, the son is 27.
Brendan Fraser is 40.
It's like Sean Connery and Harrison Ford all over again.

However, since I only liked the first two Mummy movies for the cheese factor, this might be fun.

I'll be seeing Caspian and Indy, too. Probably wait for Batman to come out on DVD.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah that's even worse. The only thing holding this together to make it look slightly like previous movies is the fact that Fraser is still in it, and probably a small role for what's his name, the British guy who was Evie's brother.

I might not even rent it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as we're having a baby tomorrow, and I EBF the first 6 mos. or so, and my previous two were NOT good at taking a bottle now and then...

I'm betting we'll see 1 movie this summer.

I'm betting it'll be Indy.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm betting Cate Blanchett will be a better villainess than that creepy chick in Crusade.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Indy
WALL*E
Get Smart
Prince Caspian (Reepicheep!!!)
Forbidden Kingdom (*grumbleenglandgrumble*)

And possibly Hancock, because I like Will Smith and the trailer looked amusing. I will not be seeing Kung Fu Panda unless it gets universally glowing reviews. I was underwhelmed by the trailers, to say the least.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.