FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did my thread get deleted?

Author Topic: Did my thread get deleted?
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a thread called "The Alcon Filter" and it's gone. Anyone care to explain that to me?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Attacking other posters is not allowed at Hatrack.

I'm guessing I was not the only one to whistle that thread.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously? That's enforced? It was in jest, and I can't believe that thread, of all threads, would be deleted. This place is starting to become really lame.

I mean come on! Look at how bad some of these threads get! And MY thread gets deleted because I was making jokes? What were obviously jokes at that?

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously? That's enforced?
I think you're mistaking kindness for weakness.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you emailed the moderator? They would know the details.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I'm guessing I was not the only one to whistle that thread.

You're guessing correctly.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Well, you've run another one off. Soon this place will be filled with a bunch of people who think exactly the same way. Won't that be fun!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're saying that you're leaving, don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll all think the same way about bare minimums of interpersonal courtesy, I hope.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a thread 'about' someone who was a jerk to me in a different thread about a year ago. I was told that you just don't DO that around here and then was asked to delete the thread... I felt sort of like a kid called to the principal's office, but the 'rule' makes sense.

I probably post a whole lot less now (because the whole 'in-group at hatrack' became oh so apparent and i suddenly realized that real life was way more important to me that an on-line forum) but I still get the idea behind the 'rule' and it makes sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - Life's too valuable to let this forum, the people who see things completely different from you, the people who don't get your humor, whatever... get to you. If it's not fun - then leave and find somewhere that 'gets' you. Hatrack is great... but it's not the only forum in the wide world of the internet...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Soon this place will be filled with a bunch of people who think exactly the same way.
This is the single greatest evidence that you owe it to yourself to lurk more and post less.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that people didn't understand you were making jokes. Some of us just find insulting people as part of a joke to be mean spirited. I find mean spirited humor offensive even when I think its funny. Hurting people for a laugh is wrong.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
Seriously? That's enforced? It was in jest, and I can't believe that thread, of all threads, would be deleted. This place is starting to become really lame.

I mean come on! Look at how bad some of these threads get! And MY thread gets deleted because I was making jokes? What were obviously jokes at that?

You do realize that you sound like a kid who just got sent to detention because he made fun of someone else, right? This is, word-for-word, the kind of argument presented by the person doing the insulting.

You do realize that, just because you think it's funny, doesn't mean it's not insulting, derogatory or complete crap? You have to remember that humor doesn't come through well on forums if you're not good at it. Sarcasm is especially difficult to pull off. But what really matters is the perception of the recipient. If they're insulted, then you've lost and you're not funny; just a jerk.

I'd wager it wasn't even funny (I admit I didn't see the other thread, I generally avoid threads that you start).

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that because you're a super-prude? (referring to the "This website speaks to me" thread title. I am attempting to be humorous because Primal seems like the opposite of super prude, but I'm not sure if he will find this remark funny.)

Wow, cmc, I had no idea. Also, I think you're really cool and I remember reading about your car accident.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
resh/cmc: It is worth pointing out that aside from the in-group dynamic that cmc pointed out, that a forum like this probably always appeal to a certain range of demographics mostly due to OSC's own background and the distribution of his readership. Barring a major change in that demographic (perhaps if that long-awaited movie comes to fruition), that range of demographics will probably change very slowly.

Obviously, there are many valuable statistical outliers (including myself;) ) and it is the reasonably polite interaction between those outliers and the majority of the forum that often keeps me here.

However, I guess what I'm trying to say is that due to the demographic that is dominant here, it will always be an uphill battle for statistical outliers to fully post and present their views. If you're comfortable with that dynamic then Hatrack can be an interesting place. If you're not then the Internet IS quite large and I'm sure you'll find a place more suitable for yourself.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, pooka. It might be the leech-ish alien growing inside me, but I got all teary eyed...

Mucus - I'm not complainin'.... Hatrack is what Hatrack is! I've learned tons since I've been here, especially about things Mormon. I was just kind of trying to point out that I'd done the same thing and while I still chose to stick around, it's not like anyone HAS to come here, especially if it's not enjoyable. : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Principal
Member # 5721

- posted      Profile for The Principal           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
I started a thread 'about' someone who was a jerk to me in a different thread about a year ago. I was told that you just don't DO that around here and then was asked to delete the thread... I felt sort of like a kid called to the principal's office, but the 'rule' makes sense.

It's not a problem, just don't do it again.

Have some candy. [Wink]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember as well, cmc, and I think your attitude is the right one. I don't agree with a lot of people here, but most of the time we listen to each other and comment on our own views. On the rare occasion I have an issue with someone on a personal level, these days I usually just whistle the offending post and leave it at that. It takes a LOT to offend me, so at that point there is always something very offensive/insulting to report.

I know from experience that my RL humor doesn't always translate well to this forum, so I have to be careful how I say things at times because of it. Hell, even IRL people have a hard time telling when I am joking, s I have a very dry sense of humor.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
yay one less intelligent designer!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I fear you are being over-optimistic, Blayne. First, Resh talking about leaving in a huff is not, alas, the same thing as actually being rid of Resh. Second, even if he does leave, he hasn't been convinced of anything, he's just been silenced on this board. He'll likely go spread his lies elsewhere.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Show some class, guys, will you?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's one thing to celebrate someone leaving because you think they're rude. I won't say it's a good thing to so celebrate, but wanting Hatrack to be more civil is at least a decent motive.

Celebrating someone leaving because of the views they hold about a dispute over a scientific theory is a much worse thing.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how it is any worse. Celebrating someone leaving, for whatever reason, is mean-spirited.

And wanting people to be correctly informed about science or other issues is at least as good of a motive as wanting Hatrack to be civil.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
I don't see how it is any worse. Celebrating someone leaving, for whatever reason, is mean-spirited.

I agree.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Because there is a difference between rude behavior and disagreeing with someone about a factual issue. And acknowledging that difference in how one reacts makes celebrating the absence of one better than celebrating the absence of the other.

quote:
And wanting people to be correctly informed about science or other issues is at least as good of a motive as wanting Hatrack to be civil.
There's nothing in Blayne's celebration that's about someone being better informed.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
<repeated post. stupid internet.>
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You'll also note that I did not say that celebrating a rude person leaving was a good thing. Tres's second sentence doesn't actually support his first sentence. Two mean-spirited things do not have to be the same level of mean-spiritedness.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
You'll also note that I did not say that celebrating a rude person leaving was a good thing.

Did anyone accuse you of it?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

No. Did I say anyone did?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:

If it was all in jest, then you should not feel any huge loss if it's deleted at the request of other posters.

Again, IF it was all in jest.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I was just wondering why you would bring it up. I don't think anyone misunderstood your previous post.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
cmc: I fully agree. I would also add I didn't think you were complaining and neither was I [Smile]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you've run another one off. Soon this place will be filled with a bunch of people who think exactly the same way. Won't that be fun!
This is among the least original works of parting spite. In my activity on forums I've seen it about 17 times.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
I was just wondering why you would bring it up. I don't think anyone misunderstood your previous post.

I brought it up in the context of the remainder of my post, which is addressing the "celebrating someone leaving is meanspirited" aspect of his post. Even if that's true, it doesn't actually address what I said.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
I don't see how it is any worse. . . . <irrelevant implied mischaracterization snipped>

I disagree.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As do I.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, hope that Resh sticks around.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm with Icarus and mph.

Mike, I'm curious -- why?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, yeah? Well I agreed with them before they did. [Wink]
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
I, for one, hope that Resh sticks around.

Ditto. Don't leave over this, Reshpeckobiggle.

That was a lame thread that referenced a jatraqero in it's title, with a negative OT, with only a soupcon of humor to balance it out. It deserved to be at least locked, and deletion was reasonable.

I actually posted on that thread then immediately deleted my post because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of the thread.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Mike, I'm curious -- why?

Hope springs eternal? I dunno, I've learned a lot from my time at hatrack, much of it from people I've disagreed with strongly. I've changed my mind about a few things, seen things from new perspectives, and I've seen others go through a similar process. Perhaps Resh will find that he can benefit from interacting with this community, and I think this community can withstand any trials Resh puts it through. [Smile] (Resh, that's not a challenge, just a prediction. [No No] )
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That makes sense. [Smile]

Dags, you have a new time machine, and you're not sharing? [Cry]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.