FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » must type faster

Author Topic: must type faster
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Typing, racing, with multiplayer.

Go!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
ooooh...fun. bad for productivity. unless typing faster increases future productivity...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow that's addicting.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't register my spaces. Wha?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
AAUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHH

(I always hate these tests where the text moves -- very hard for me to focus. They should let it all stay there and only move the line I'm typing)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I won my first race! I'm retiring now.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I won one! Woohoo!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
What kills me is that they make you go back and correct your mistakes rather than just docking you a wpm for each. And that they only let you one space between sentences while I was trained to do two.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. They totally censored the Pulp Fiction quote.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh freak. That's going to drive me nuts if I do it again. I'll have to settle for 5th place and 70 wpm.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergeant:
What kills me is that they make you go back and correct your mistakes rather than just docking you a wpm for each. And that they only let you one space between sentences while I was trained to do two.

Sergeant

I really hate it when people do that. It's a holdover from the days of typewriters that is completely unnecessary now. Typing instructors need to stop telling people to do that. *grumbles as he remembers all the time he spent removing the second space in news articles when he was copy editing at the student newspaper*
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*grumbles as he remembers all the time he spent removing the second space in news articles when he was copy editing at the student newspaper*
Why in the world wouldn't you just do it with a replace all command.

I learned how to type back in the days of typewriters. I read quite a lot of student reports and think it is indeed easier to read text with their are two spaces after the period.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
It didn't register my spaces. Wha?

That's cause you made a typo, and after you do that the spaces don't come out until you fix it. You can only type one word at a time. It did the same thing to me.

I had more problems with the punctuation than I did with the words! I kept reading periods as commas.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Man... I suck. I'm only averaging in the 70s on this, and I keep getting 2nd or third place.

Typos keep getting me because I keep typing, and before I know it I have to backspace over twenty characters.

It *really* helps to know the quote. I didn't even have to read the one from A Clockwork Orange and Star Wars. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I won one!

Yay!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just tried it again and it didn't take my spaces again - and there was definitely no typo in the one-letter first word! Oh well, I didn't want to play their silly game anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a cute game. I won a few games, but mostly was second or third. I think my best was 83 WPM.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I was getting over 100 WPM after awhile. Hmm. Can I really be that fast?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.