FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Living in Guam

Author Topic: Living in Guam
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I passed the Wyoming Bar and so the Air Force is going to send me to Guam and I was wondering in any of you have lived in Guam and have any advice for me. Things to take with me and that sort of thing.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What will you be doing there?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

Whatever I'm told [Smile]

I'll be an Air Force Attorney (JAG) I'm looking forward to doing all those things they do in the tv show (kidding)

As a new attorney I will probably first do legal assistance (preparing wills for service members and retirees and such) then progress to military justice which I will probably do some of for most of my career, and after my first couple of years I may get moved to something like contract law, employment law, or operations law.

One of the cool things some JAGs get to do is act as special Assistant US Attornies and prosecute civilians that break the law on base in federal district court.

So really my answer is: a little bit of everything.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you excited about this?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

Oh yes. My wife and I both SCUBA Dive and look forward to spending our weekends in the water on a fairly regular basis. We had the choice between Moody AFB in Georgia or Andersen AFB in Guam and it wasn't much of a contest. Of course 3 years on an island 30 miles by 8 miles at the widest point may get a little old but then we will know that it is only 3 years and then on to other places.

It also puts us in a different part of the world which makes trips to places like the Phillipeans, Australia, and New Zealand a lot cheaper.

Sergeant

Edit to add: Many of the negatives of living on an island like Guam are associated with the high cost of living but the military does a pretty good job of offsetting this by providing a generous COLA of over $700, covering rent and additionally providing $700 for utilities (which they don't do stateside). I'm curious to know why my utilities would cost me $700 a month, unless the count gasoline.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd imagine a lack of readily available freshwater sources for that many people, having to ship in all food, supplies, etc, and what not would probably drive up the cost of everything, from water to power to whatever. I still can't figure what would cost THAT much though.

quote:
I'll be an Air Force Attorney (JAG) I'm looking forward to doing all those things they do in the tv show (kidding)
Running around shooting stuff? Foiling terrorists? Flying planes off of carriers? Getting dropped in enemy territory to serve a subpeona? [Wink]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Guam was awesome when I went for a TDY. Some of the best scuba you're going to find in the world. Traveling to Japan or Korea should be a breeze since you can Space A you way for free. I was stationed on Okinawa Japan for three years...trust me, use Space A. I had one month of leave once and I flew all over PACAF for free. Osan is close to Seoul, Yokota is close to Tokyo. etc. There are also flights going elsewhere in the area but you have to be careful because there's no guarantee you'll be able to get back.

Back to Guam, I loved it. Went Sky diving/ Scuba dived some WW II ship wreckage. You'll quickly notice that must of the tourist you'll see are japanese. And it get's HOOOTTTT in the summer.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I had cousins who were there for the Air Force several years back. I can't get ahold of them to ask them if they have any advice -- but I do remember that they really enjoyed their time there! [Smile] Best wishes!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm curious to know why my utilities would cost me $700 a month, unless the count gasoline.
The electricity probably all comes from diesel generators which was expensive 10 years ago and probably outrageous with oil at $110/barrel. And I suspect most people use the air conditioners a fair bit. But still $700/month seems over the top.

I have a friend who lived in Guam as a teenager. He said it was a paradise for teenage boys but an ordeal for his mother. He also noted that since Guam is on the Mariana trench which goes down almost forever, you need to pay particularly close attention to depth when you're scuba diving. You can end up much much deeper than you are prepared to handle if you don't keep a close eye on it.

Some general observations from my experience living on a small remote tropical island.

A lot of things may only be available intermittently. Get used to the idea that the grocery will run out of certain things like fresh milk and eggs from time to time. Other stuff that your used to being able to find at any hardware or sporting goods store may not be around at all. If you are picky about certain brands of things like deodorant, shampoo and toothpaste, bring more than one with you. They may not be easily available. You may do better than civilians since you will have access to a PX and a commissary but get used to the idea of ordering stuff through the mail.

Learn patience and flexible. Island life is a bit more laid back than you are used to. Be prepared for unexpected delays. A hard ran is considered a good excuse for being late. Local shops may open late and close early. Expect that a business may be closed for the day for events like the boss' mother in-laws birthday. Some of your colleagues from the states will complain continuously about
this sort of stuff. You'll be much happier if you don't fall into that pattern.

A lot of this is just typical small town stuff. Learn to respect the peculiarities of the local way of doing things. Make local friends instead rather than hanging exclusively with the military personnel and other transients.

Daylight hours will 6 am to 6 pm 365 days a year with very little variation. Dawn and dusk are very short, 15 minutes or so.

A breeze makes the difference between unbearably hot and muggy and quite pleasant. Fans and window screens can dramatically reduce your need for air conditioning, particularly if you aren't home during the hottest hours of the day.

Use skype to communicate with friends and family in the states.

Bug season is 12 months a year. Screens on your windows are a great idea so you can keep the windows open. Failing that, get a mosquito net for your bed. Keep your food stuff in tightly sealed containers (tupperware?) to keep ants and other pests out. If you have a serious bug problem, put things in the freezer.

Find a way to get around with out a car (bike, scooter, bus, foot).

Store a couple days supply of water. Have a 72 hour kit. Guam is a bit too far north of the equator so you will be in the typhoon zone.

Sunscreen and bug repellent. Get a sea kayak (or better yet a yacht). Wear sandals every day. Don't wear sandals hiking in the forest, there are too many biting insects crawling about. (Yes I know this contradicts my previous point).

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
On iphone: if you search "Guam zen habits" you'll get a really good article on life in Guam. Also, there's at least a couple of blogs about Guam that might give you the insider scoop.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
(To anyone confused, I was posting via an iphone, so I couldn't leave a link to the article. Here's the link.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the weather in Guam. Sounds lovely. Too bad there's no variety. [Razz] j/k

Good luck, dude.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like TripAdvisor has some good articles.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you and your wife are both divers, you will want to catch a hope to Kadena at some time while you are there. Okinawa has great diving and there are regular flights between Kadena and Anderson.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.