FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Not to Handle a Strike Mandate

Author Topic: How Not to Handle a Strike Mandate
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Situation:
You are head of a public transit union serving the largest city in Canada, and you're in contract negotiations with the city. Last week, you almost went on strike but an 11th-hour agreement was reached. You agreed that you'd give a 48-hour strike notice. The public was pretty upset about the potential for a strike, and was kind of nasty to your employees.

On Friday, your union members voted against last week's agreement.

The Decision:
Do you...
a) give 48 hours' notice like you promised, and go on strike?
b) out of concern for your workers, go on an unannounced strike at the end of the day?
c) go on an unannounced strike immediately, at midnight on a Friday night, stranding people who assumed service would go to 2:30am as usual?

Guess which brilliant move the head of the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) union picked? If you guessed C, congratulations!

I suspect the backlash from this is going to be far worse than the 48-hour lead-up would have been. People are pissed. I hope the new contract includes hazard pay, because in one idiotic move the TTC has used up their quota of public sympathy for the next 25 years or so. David Miller, the mayor of Toronto, was resisting calls to declare the TTC an essential service - but now he's reconsidering.

I feel bad for everyone in this situation - the stranded people, the morning surprise for transit riders, the TTC operators who're going to be on the frontlines of the backlash... Everyone except for the idiot who thought this was a good idea.

He, I think, should be stuck on the main floor of Union Station to take the abuse that would otherwise be directed at the regular staff.

(Edited because I put a completely unrelated link in by accident.)

[ April 26, 2008, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.