FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adventures in the Orient: Idea(s) for a MMORPG (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adventures in the Orient: Idea(s) for a MMORPG
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Devil I think what you say is a good way of doing this, Raven, think we could get some of feng shui casting system?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think feng shui means what you think it means.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I know BUT in this one episode of Ruruuni Kenshin they had this Feng Shui cult that casted energy spells, something akin to that is what I am referring to.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll confess that I'm a little obsessed with games, in general. Here are some interesting articles about game design in general. You can safely skip articles 30 and 36, but the rest will probably be worthwhile to anyone interested in game design. Especially check out the one titled "Removing Busywork." It's not one of the numbered articles, there's a link to it in the body above. They're by Richard Garfield, a man who has dedicated his life to games.

On an even more important note, even if you don't play magic, you will benefit from an understanding of the industry, and designing toward a target audience(or psychographic profile).

In fact, I'll go ahead and quote Mr. Rosewater on why this would be handy for you: "[Let's address] what exactly a psychographic profile is. Marketing (or, perhaps I should clarify, good marketing) in its purest sense is the science of connecting a product, be it a tangible item, a service, a person, a philosophy, etc., with the consumers who are interested in such a product. To accomplish this, a marketer has to understand both what their product has to offer and what various consumers are interested in, the better to marry the two. It is the latter half of this that we are currently interested in.

To understand what consumers want, you have to understand their psychological makeup. That is, you need to know their activities, interests and opinions (known in the marketing business, by the way, as AIO). You then match this up with their demographic information (age, gender, income, education level, etc.) and start to form a sense of who each consumer is as an individual. You then group all the like-minded individuals together and create a psychographic profile."

Here's an article by Mark Rosewater about how the Magic: The Gathering design team makes cards for different target audiences. You can safely skip the intro and just read the descriptions for Timmy, Johnny and Spike. Whenever you see the word "deck," insert "character." Whenever you see "card," insert "class skill." The concept of the Timmy, Johnny and Spike player types fit into many video games, especially MMORPG's, and when designing class skills, character abilities, spells, and equipable items, you should think about what player type it will appeal to, and you should try to make abilities for all of them.

[ May 10, 2008, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: DevilDreamt ]

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.