FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you write a press release?

Author Topic: How do you write a press release?
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
My son just wrapped a lead role in a short film. Under advice of an acquaintance, I contacted the local, small town paper, because my son was the lead and the director is a former resident of our town.

They want to run something, but asked me to write a press release about the film and my son, with a pic. I thought I'd send a few head shots, and a few photos from the set so they can choose what they want.

HOWEVER, I have no idea how to write a press release. Does anyone here know what to say?

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Some links with instructions:

http://www.publicityinsider.com/release.asp

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Press-Release

http://www.ehow.com/how_8793_write-proper-press-release.html

The first link has a template. For your first press release, I'd take that and fill in the blanks.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Google to the rescue:

A guide to writing successful media releases.

This site seems to focus on a "formal" press release and for a small town paper, you might be able to be more relaxed.

Key points -

• Use 3rd person.
  • Stress the local connection.
  • List facts, not opinions - Where was the show? When did it run? Who was the director? What exactly did your son do?
  • Include some basic biographical data on your son.
  • List some personal things to stress the human interest - a paragraph or two about your son's interests and hobbies. But put this at the end.
    Include your name and contact information in case the reporter has additional questions.
  • Don't be surprised if the article winds up different than you expected - they will use the release as a guide, but they usually don't publish it word for word.

Check out websites for theatre groups or individual actors and see if they have their press releases posted - that may get you started.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks SO much. I was seriously foundering looking at the blank page on our word processing app!
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.