FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nine Inch Nails Fans Rejoice!

Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails Fans Rejoice!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
For Trent Rezor is following in the financial footsteps of Radiohead by releasing a whole new album of songs for free online here.

The album is available in four different audio types.

I haven't actually finished downloading the album yet myself, so I haven't listened to it yet. But I've heard some really good buzz about it.

An announcement was made stating that a physical version of the album would be made available in CD and vinyl in July.

EDIT:

I'm listening to the new album. And it's sounding pretty good. Weird combination of their older and newer stuff. But it sounds really good. It's got that aggressive yet catchy thing going on.

It's only about 44 minutes long with ten tracks. But it's good stuff. Very energetic.

[ May 11, 2008, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded this last week. I'm no connoisseur of industrial music, but I've got the first couple Nine Inch Nails albums and I enjoyed this one as much as either of those (which is a fair amount, and more than I anticipated.) Certainly much better quality music than one would expect from a free disc.

Also, I love the fact that it was offered as a FLAC download. You can't even pay for uncompressed music (or lossless compressions) at the standard outlets. Offering it here shows an admirable respect both for the music and for the listener. Hopefully iTunes and Amazon are taking notes.

I'd be interested to hear what a real fan thinks of the album, but for me it was well worth the effort to pick it up.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Trent Reznor understands the value of free content and how to make it have value to his fans much much better than Radiohead does. Reznor released his album under a Creative Commons license, making the content available in a wide range of formats at high quality. Meanwhile, Radiohead pissed off their fans with essentially a gimmick marketing ploy and low quality files. Now Radiohead is offering the different tracks of their new single for sale separately in compressed format while they (or some industry entity) retain control of the copyrights of derivative works made with the tracks, which would make it unwise to actually use that material to do anything interesting--you wouldn't want your own content tied up in somebody else's copyright... NIN's CC approach is much better, because you can use it for what you want and release it how you want, as long as you keep the CC-noncommercial license.. And NIN's going to make enough money touring anyway (and Reznor has complained that they hardly make anything from album royalties anyway.)

As Reznor said of OiNK, no commercial service is available that lets you get FLACs..

Anyway, I haven't heard the new album, but I think what he's doing is very important, and musical artists at all levels should pay attention to him. Take responsibility for your own content, make sure it's free!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got tickets to the Atlanta show in August! Any other jatraqueros going?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.