FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Dead Arab' Lives after Israeli Denied Him Medical Care

Author Topic: 'Dead Arab' Lives after Israeli Denied Him Medical Care
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's actually Captain Jack.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] They really will do anything to make Israel look bad.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Jack is American. Except when he says "Estrogen." Then he's british.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like there should be more to that article.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Clearly the various news organization are fuzzy and unthorough. The Captain Jack theory makes the most sense - everybody's right!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
How nice that he didn't die.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

Why "estrogen"? Does he pronounce it Britishly? How do you pronounce it Britishly? Hard "g"?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about Captain Jack Sparrow? Or is there another Captain Jack I'm not up on?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I assume they're talking about the guy from Torchwood, no?
katharina
Member # 827

According to the subtitles, he was saying "oestrogen." I don't know what that is, but maybe that's why it sounded different?
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, my bad. Please forgive.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Do you know what that is? I suppose I could wiki it.

Udpate:
http://www.3dchem.com/moremolecules.asp?ID=241&othername=Oestrogen

Apparantly estrogen is a group of molecules, and oestrogen is a specific molecule that has the biggest share of that group.

katharina
Member # 827

Blayne, that is not necessary and is a terrible, terrible spoiler with insufficient warning. Please remove it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I gave sufficient warning.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: He says EEEEEstrogen instead of Eh-strogen. It was right in the first episode. One of (if not THE) first thing out of his mouth. He's standing in the rain complaining about how he can taste all the EEEEEEstrogen falling on him.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What's the point of it, Blayne? It's not in context, and you're not discussing it. If people already know, it's redundant, and if they don't, it's mean.

I think you should post a paragraph or two on what you think it implies for the interactions in the previous series.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, please remove that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Oestrogen is simply the British spelling of estrogen.

It also appears that both the "eestrogen" and "ehstrogen" pronunciations are used in Britain, while only the latter is used in the US.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
When this is how Israelis act on a "search and arrest mission", I'm not particularly surprised that this guy lied to try and hide. If he actually was associated with terrorism, it wouldn't be surprising at all. This guy's lie is no reason to continue to detain or reject people who need medical care that is not possible in Gaza. There are many sick and dying, and the sewage treatment isn't working.

[Frown]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
if they spent the money on development instead of weapons...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So nobody cares about the Israelis allowing zombies to lurch around the neighborhood?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

Why "estrogen"? Does he pronounce it Britishly? How do you pronounce it Britishly? Hard "g"?
The same emphasis rules apply, however commonly British people break emphasis rules for certain words, placing the emphasis incorrectly on the second syllable- this is technically inconsistent with British pronunciation rules, but it is commonly practiced.

examples are: "Controversy," sometimes pronounced "ContrAHversy," and "Aspartame," often pronounced "AsPARtem."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And 'trunk', often pronounced as 'boot'.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Jack had spent more than a hundred years in Wales by then.
Most people's accents change a bit depending on where they live. It's only surprising he wasn't talking like he came from the Valleys.

And there is no one 'correct' way to pronounce anything.
Especially not in Britain, which has more accents than you've had hot dinners.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that "truck" tends to be pronounced "lorry" by my British friends. Even when typing online. Strange.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
if they spent the money on development instead of weapons...

You have a point, but you're ignoring some unfortunate realities in the situation there. Regular people don't have the money you're talking about, it's all in the hands of powerful individuals that do what they want. Saying "they" suggests that everyone would choose a gun over a working sewage system, which I think is an incredibly wrong idea.

Still, that argument certainly applies to their leaders.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
The same emphasis rules apply, however commonly British people break emphasis rules for certain words, placing the emphasis incorrectly on the second syllable- this is technically inconsistent with British pronunciation rules, but it is commonly practiced.

examples are: "Controversy," sometimes pronounced "ContrAHversy," and "Aspartame," often pronounced "AsPARtem."

There are rules for British pronunciation? Who knew?

Meep! Who enforces them? Is there a cape-twirling Holmesian figure who pounces on the felonous mis-pronouncer and whisks them off to durance vile?

We should be told...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.