FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Conversations I did and didn't want to have with my son...

Author Topic: Conversations I did and didn't want to have with my son...
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past couple of weeks things have come up from my son that have let me realize why the best poker faces must come from fathers. What else would stop me from showing both extreme worry, and laughter, at the same time.

"Mommy, can you guess where my new tickle spot is? A girl at school found it today." (for those who don't know, my son is 7)

"I get half my genes from momma and half from papa, right." (for those who don't know, my son is adopted, and knows it.)

"I want to grow up to be a scientists, and a magician, and do mosaics"
"Oh" I said, "You want to go into Particle Physics."

"I don't like the Harry Potter movie. It leaves so much out of the book." He's not read the books, but have heard them on tape. This was mostly about Azkaban, which leaves so much out its silly.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh heh
i dont have any kids but my friends talks like my old prefessor

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a lot of conversations with our kids (7 years old and under) when I was pregnant with #5.

Discussions on flowers and seeds, and eggs, and babies, etc.

Of course they wait until company's over to review what they've learned, and my perspicacious 5yo dd asked, "But, Mommy, HOW does the sperm get to the mommy's egg?"

Ah...er...*ahem* I'm sorry, but we're too British to discuss that in front of company, dear.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Mommy, can you guess where my new tickle spot is? A girl at school found it today."
My mother would respond to this by saying something like "hey, kiddo, women are too much trouble to let them feel you up this early"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

See, and I was blaming the Orbitz.

"Now, with xylitol--and labia!"

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have kids, I do teach high school, and now and then I end up either involved in or hearing conversations I really don't want to be anywhere near. My personal favorite from this week walking down the hall to my last block, overheard one girl talking to another. Both freshmen.

"Its a secret. Its not legal yet."

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The checkout line gets us too.

My oldest was four when she announced to the checkout lady that we were buying her new pajamas. But, her daddy didn't need pajamas, because he slept naked.

Embarrassing, but also kind of odd. My husband does NOT sleep naked, too much of a firefighter, he sleeps in t-shirt and shorts, so he'll be ready to jump up and go fight fires on a moment's notice. [Wink]

We asked her why she said that, but never got a satisfactory explanation. (for the record, I don't sleep naked either.) [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Our favorite: my wife was shopping with our eldest son, then about 4 or 5. Tony looked at the African American lady in front of us and asked, very loudly, "Mommy, why does that woman look like chocolate?"

Not knowing how it would be received, Teres blushed bright red as the lady turned around and smiled at Tony. Tony looked at her and said, fortunately just as loudly, "She's PRETTY!"

The lady burst out laughing and Teres brought him home to tell me I could do all the shopping from now on...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

[Laugh]
My parents just looked at me blankly when I told them this one. Apparently it is aided by ignorance. [Wink]

Chris, that reminds me of the brother of a friend of mine, who declared (loudly, of course) in the park that it wasn't fair -- the little baby (that he saw nursing) got chocolate milk every day!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you guys have it easy. My son has decided the quiet of church worship is the best time to ask if "dong" is a bad word.

There are people who have that as a last name at our church.

He also asks about which handsigns are bad, systematically putting up every configuration of fingers besides The Bird.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"I don't like the Harry Potter movie. It leaves so much out of the book." He's not read the books, but have heard them on tape. This was mostly about Azkaban, which leaves so much out its silly.

That is one cool kid. Wait till he gets to book 4. It's ridiculous. [Grumble]

quote:
Our favorite: my wife was shopping with our eldest son, then about 4 or 5. Tony looked at the African American lady in front of us and asked, very loudly, "Mommy, why does that woman look like chocolate?"

Not knowing how it would be received, Teres blushed bright red as the lady turned around and smiled at Tony. Tony looked at her and said, fortunately just as loudly, "She's PRETTY!"

[ROFL]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Kids are so funny. My sister-in-law was a young mom and looks even younger than she is. When my niece was little she would point to men in the store and ask loudly "Is he my daddy mommmy?" One time in line she asked loudly "Do I have to sleep in the cupboard again tonight mommy?" (It took us weeks to realize she got this from Beauty and the Beast when Mrs. Potts son asks it at the end)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh. My kids SAVE UP strings of questions with complicated answers specifically for the grocery store. About a year ago, we were going through the freezer section when my son practically shouts:

"Mom how come boys only marry girls?"

(For the record, this is not something I have ever really had occasion to speak about with or around my son, it seems to be something he "figured out" by himself.) When I told him that we would talk about that later, he didn't miss a beat:

"How come girls have to be married to have babies?"

Again, I'm not sure how he came to this conclusion; I have several cousins and friends who are single mothers. Again I told him that this was a conversation for the ride home or later.

"Do I HAVE to marry my sister?"

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Why does he have to phrase his questions in a way that makes it seem like we are complete freaks? Do I HAVE to, indeed.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

And there is no way to shush them without sounding worse, either.

What do you say? "Shhh, we'll talk about our privates later"?

"That's just our secret"?

Ick!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.