FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adobe, you sons of motherless goats...

Author Topic: Adobe, you sons of motherless goats...
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Way back in yesteryear, I downloaded the shareware version of a sound editing program called Cool Edit 96. A very nice program: about two and a half megabytes, capable of doing all sorts of nifty things like editing stereo channels seperately, speeding or slowing down a file without changing its pitch, reducing noise, and so on.

The shareware version had its limitations- you have to select two and only two from a list of features to use, one of those features being the ability to save the file you're modifying. But it did more or less everything I wanted it to. The $50 registered version was more than I could afford at the time for the trivial uses I was putting it to, and the $25 "lite" version seemed crippled in ways that made the sharware version preferable.

Fast forward to 2008. I'm again doing a bit of tinkering with sound beyond the capabilities of Sound Recorder, and I'm now comfortable enough that paying $50 or so to support a well-designed piece of software doesn't seem so extravagant. So, what has become of Cool Edit?

Jaws Theme

Adobe has happened to Cool Edit. Or at least, to Syntrillium, the company that made it.

And cute li'l Cool Edit, which did nearly everything I needed in a two-and-a-half-megabyte compressed file, is now Adobe Audition 3, four and a half GIGABYTES, and $350.

Sunuva...

Noting also that sometime in the last year Macromedia Flash abruptly became Adobe Flash, and that Adobe doesn't carry a single piece of software on their website (upgrade versions aside) for under $100, I'm beginning to feel a trifle uneasy about the company's carnivorous nature.

I think I'm going to rummage in the dark caverns of my hard drive and see if Cool Edit 96 still lives there somewhere.

[ May 14, 2008, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Adobe! [No No]

I'm currently playing with some freeware called Audacity for editing sound files. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it does allow seperate channel editing, and it *is* free...

Audacity at Sourceforge

Good luck!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

I'll give it a look. Thanks!
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Audacity rocks my socks. Because it's free. It's not perfect. But it's free.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And because it has an unhealthy fascination with socks.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
If Audacity doesn't have what you're looking for, you could also try goldwave. It's got a fully functional evaluation version available at that link.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
You should still be able to find some copies of CoolEdit Pro somewhere. I've got one.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
switch to mac and get garage band for free
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're willing to pay a reasonable price for a decent program, get Goldwave. It runs circles around Audacity.

And if you're not willing to pay, I've been using Goldwave's evaluation version for 5+ years now. (I use it maybe twice a year... I'm still evaluating it [Big Grin] )

"switch to mac and get garage band for free" umm, that's an awful lot of money for a 'free' program. [Wink]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, but Adobe's buyout of Syntrillium was a smart move. Audition has now become a fantastic audio workstation application, capable of pro-level results, coupled with some very unique features (like selecting parts of the frequency spectrum with Photoshop-like tools). It does suck that there's one-fewer inexpensive audio option on the market, though.

Oh, and if you want cheap (how about free?) and pro-level audio, try Ardour on Ubuntu (both open source).

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

I wanted to mention- I used Audacity to make CDs of some NPR shows for the birthday of a friend with an excessive commute, so, thanks again for mentioning it, anti_maven.

Changing operating systems- whether to OS X or Ubuntu Linux- is rather enough of a time investment to make question of the term "free".

No offense taken, Wonder Dog; I'm sure it was a good strategic move for Adobe. I hope Syntrillium were paid what they were worth. I just find it more than a little irritating that Adobe not only tends to price their software with only the professional market in mind, but is eliminating rivals from the "regular consumer" market.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.