FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Check out Whedon's Dollhouse (updated)

Author Topic: Check out Whedon's Dollhouse (updated)
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The first look at Joss Whedon's new show "Dollhouse" is out; this is the trailer presented to the advertisers today.

Coming next January. Comments?

(Updated with link to just-finished new version of thr trailer, with different titles and a few changes in the scenes.)

[ May 17, 2008, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's already been taken down.

Here's another link, seems the link from that site was just broken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9dZFCbq6ec

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

I knew I shouldn't have taken a nap after work! [Grumble]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Just search "dollhouse trailer whedon" on YouTube. A couple of videos are still up.

It looks really good. I wasn't sure about the premise and didn't see the entertainment factor in watching certain players try to take on a variety of personalities. But as a whole, I like the feel of it and want to see more.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to post about this. Looks cool.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
And up here as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ul5EUJWxs

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm concerned. We may all be ready to love it but will the mass audiences? The 'concept' of the show wasn't really explained all that well in that trailer.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Helo!

If I hadn't been going to watch this already, that would be enough to get me watching.

This looks good, though. The city flashes in the trailer were visually very Angel.
Creepy premise - the idea of erasing someone's identity.
I guess the first mystery will be - who were all the dolls before?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Why does Whedon keep going back to fox? Why, why why?

*sigh* I hope Dollhouse survives... it looks like it could be very, very good. Plus it's got Faith and Helo!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...erasing people's identity. Sounds familiar.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Helo!
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Why does Whedon keep going back to fox? Why, why why?

*sigh* I hope Dollhouse survives... it looks like it could be very, very good. Plus it's got Faith and Helo!

I thought he said he'd never work for FOX again...
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
OOo, Tahmoh Penikett was in that preview, from BSG.

It looks interesting I guess. Not particularly original, and seeing Dushku as a tough girl, maybe a mix of what's her name from Dark Angel and her previous role as Faith, isn't really new either.

I guess I'd be willing to give it a try because it's Whedon, but if anyone else had a trailer like that, I'd probably pass over it.

[ May 17, 2008, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple things:

The trailer wasn't really for us. It was for an ad upfront, to show advertisers in the hopes of enticing them to buy commercials. As such all it really had to do was show stars, tones, and production values.

And Joss didn't make the deal with FOX. Eliza Dushku had a production deal with FOX and had lunch with Joss to discuss it and her career. She explained she wanted to do more than just play the violent brat all the time. He thought it over and came up with a name, a concept, and ideas for the first few episodes right off the bat.

She went back to FOX and asked if she could bring Joss along, they said oh, yes, and guaranteed 13 episodes. And Joss went home and said, "Honey? Guess what I did today..."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The trailer wasn't really for us. It was for an ad upfront, to show advertisers in the hopes of enticing them to buy commercials. As such all it really had to do was show stars, tones, and production values.
Meh. Still looks unoriginal. From that little trailer and what I've read the plot is about, I'd say my take on the general idea of the thing is probably right, at least for me and what I like personally. Memory wipes and programmable people? It's nothing new.

But it doesn't necessarily have to be. Annoyed as I sometimes get with the things Whedon does, and with the fact that, though I love the banter in his shows, they all feel the same to a certain degree, I still have enough faith to give this show a try for a few episodes.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"Memory wipes and programmable people? It's nothing new. "

Hmm. I think I've seen this show.

Only, it had pre-teen girls as the memory wiped programmable people. Well, assasins only, anyway...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
There are hardly any new stories. It'll be interesting to see whether this show works. Whedon does seem to be obsessed with hot girls who can fight, though.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
There are hardly any new stories. It'll be interesting to see whether this show works. Whedon does seem to be obsessed with hot girls who can fight, though.
Firefly... Angel... They included hot girls who can fight (why shouldn't they?) but they weren't centered on them.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

A new trailer is out already - more or less the same one, but with better text graphics, a finished logo, and a few changes in what scenes and dialogue were included. Link is in first post.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And Fred! [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it would make a great movie. On the other hand, it looks like it would make a boring and confusing series. Then again, Dark Angel lasted as long as Firefly should have. My prediction is one season unless a secondary cable channel picks it up.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dark Angel lasted as long as Firefly should have.
Your attempts to sow the seeds of conflict and contention shall not succeed here.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
quote:

And Fred! [Smile]
Um... I don't think it has Fred. Where did you see that?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It does, actually, but she's not in the trailer. Amy Acker will be a recurring character.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard somewhere they're having reduced commercials for Dollhouse. Is this indeed true, because, um, yay?
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.