FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prince Caspian! I pine for you....

Author Topic: Prince Caspian! I pine for you....
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I least I can read Eric Snider's review.

I don't know, maybe we'll get out to it next week, though it's likelier my husband will want to wait and take the kids to the dollar movie after we move.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a subplot so underdeveloped that it is an insult to subplots
Heh.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm not sure it takes much plot to have a woman get a crush on Ben. It's kind of like getting wet when it rains.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night when it premiered. I thought it was great. It was a much better film than the other one (technical wise) I thought. They did a better job of now that we have some established characters, let's just do a little bit more with them.

Everyone complains that the characters are very underdeveloped, I would have to say that was my biggest problem when I read the Narnia books when I was younger is that in fact, there were no characters.

They made a couple of additions too which just astounded me- one in particular- a really cool, dramatic scene the emphasizes some of metaphorical stuff behind it, but was completely not in the book whatsoever. I'm sure people will mention that below- I tried to give my ideas spoiler-free.

All in all, I really liked it though.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I have no idea what Prince Caspian is supposed to be a metaphor for.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I WANNA SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Trying to get tickets.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the changes I've read about are already annoying me, and I haven't seen it yet. I'll still see it, but geez, why do they have to keep giving fantasy movies the Helm's Deep treatment?

The romance thing, eh, whatever. So long as it doesn't really go anywhere I don't really care I guess, though if it takes up a lot of screen time I'll be annoyed.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Helm's Deep was awesome.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And would have been just as awesome without Elves. Frankly Minas Tirith would've been a lot cooler if they had done it the way it was done in the books. That was just silly in my opinion.

Caspian was fine the way it was. Jazzing it up with made up battles is just annoying. I'm a purist, I don't like all this adding on of things just to have more explosions and CGI infested battles. I agree they ARE cool. They just don't belong. There are already great fight scenes in the movie, use those. I guess I'm not surprised though. I wasn't uber impressed with the first one.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

They're offering a $10 gift certificate to post a spoiler on themoviespoiler.com... Maybe I'll try that sometime.
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I practically grew up on the Chronicles of Narnia, but it's been so long since I read Prince Caspian that I pretty much have no idea what happens in it. So I'll be perfectly ready to judge the movie for what it is, and not just an adaptation of the books.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'll likely be stoned by Narnia purists, but I honestly liked the first one better than the book. There, I said it.

My sister is taking me tomorrow as an early birthday present. Should be fun.

Oh, and I'm not reading reviews because I hate movie reviews and hate how they bias me towards a movie before I even go to it.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

*starts collecting stones*
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
And would have been just as awesome without Elves. Frankly Minas Tirith would've been a lot cooler if they had done it the way it was done in the books. That was just silly in my opinion.

Ah. I had no idea what you meant by the "Helm's Deep Treatment." I take it this refers to the "and here's another army now!" thing? Agreed that Minas Tirith was pretty silly. That's why I preferred the Helm's Deep battle. That and the awesomeness. [Wink]

Also, your first sentence makes me want to link the "Elves: They're just better than you." motivational poster, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
A "purist" adaptation is very difficult for Prince Caspian, Lyr. The previous live action adaptation (the BBC one) had to add action, battles, and other such things too. In the book, the main characters mainly walk, talk, and flashback...not even meeting up for good and earnest until right before the climax. Almost immediately thereafter, the story's over.

No perfect solution for adapting that to film.

As far as Eric's review goes, I very much disagreed with his assessment of LWW, I'll see how I compare with him on PC.

The reviews on the hardcore Narnia fan sites seem to be quite on the positive side...several prominent fans who loathed LWW are trumpeting this one as wonderful. A good sign, for me. [Smile]

(Mainly, I think LWW had a pacing problem once all the Pevensies get into Narnia, and didn't quite find a solution to portraying certain key internal character moments from the book.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I said it before, and I'll wonder it aloud again. Since there does seem to be a propensity towards Helm's Depth in fantasy movies, what are they going to do with Dawn Treader?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn Treader doesn't lack for action pieces, though. [Smile]

LWW had one, but only barely described. PC had several, but mostly described in flashback. VDT had several, all well-described. There won't be much of a need to create an action sequence...they're already there.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope they DO make all of them. All the books into movies, I mean.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
A "purist" adaptation is very difficult for Prince Caspian, Lyr.

You can change bits and pieces, even adding in some good battles (like, I don't know, the one where Caspian is supposed to blow the horn) (sorry if that was a spoiler) without completely changing the tone and overall feel of the book. I understand the need for some adaptations when adapting a book to film. I don't understand the need to completely alter the story line in a way which fundamentally changes the movie. It was so much darker and hopeless than the book, and I feel it was made that way very intentionally, which pisses me off.

(to clarify, I thought the changes were well done for the most part. They just made me angry. See my other thread)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Lyr, as soon as I stepped out of the theater I was comparing it to "Two Towers" and Helms Deep.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.