FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sen. Kennedy has a brain tumor.

Author Topic: Sen. Kennedy has a brain tumor.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the article in this link , they found a tumor on the left parietal lobe.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad. No matter what you think of the man or his politics, this sort of serious illness is sad.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's treatable.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Average survival can range from less than a year for very advanced and aggressive types — such as glioblastomas — or to about five years for different types that are slower growing.

That is sad.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine going through chemotherapy at his age. Well, I wish him well.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very depressing news. I feel for him and his family at this difficult time, and I hope the treatments go well.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor guy [Frown] .

I hope surgery can prolong his life.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, his hard drinking could be a complication with the chemo. It's hard enough without a liver that is probably struggling in normal circumstances.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
My academic advisor for next year in my new grad school had a brain tumor last month (eep). Being from MA, the tumor was taken out at MGH, where Ted Kennedy is now. I don't know what kind of tumor it was, but as far as I know he's still at home recovering and everything will be a-ok. When I heard about the tumor I heard surgery in the same sentence. From my understanding of brain tumors (next to nothing), you can (sort of) breathe easy when you hear the word surgery. Basically, if they can get at it and the patient can take it, they will take the tumor out. My advisor is 65ish.

So they mention surgery, just not in the context of whether Kennedy will get it.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, malignant gliomas really aren't curable. Surgery, chemo, or radiation can shrink the tumor and perhaps prolong life or reduce symptoms, but I think most people don't survive beyond a few years, if that. Chances are good that someone else will need to serve out the remainder of his term [Frown]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know anything about my advisor's tumor much beyond they took it out at MGH, surgery took 12 hours, he has to spend a month/6 weeks recovering, probably is getting chemo, and his wife is probably going to give him another talk about dropping his workload a wee bit more like his family did after his stroke.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, people dying of cancer is unpleasant and sad to be sure, but is there a particular reason we should care about this Senator? Surely many people have been diagnosed with brain tumours in the past few days.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on. Are you really this big a jerk?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I think KoM is noticing the same thing I do sometimes... the fact that this board registers its sympathy for the hard times of others, and that this process is meaningless to those people.

Plus, it only takes about, oh, 14 posts before all that stops, and it either dies, or people start talking about the obvious fact that Kennedy is an alcoholic, and that alcoholism is the leading cause of seizures in people his age.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reminded of back in the seventies when Ted Kennedy Jr. (Senator Kennedy's son) had bone cancer. Kennedy's response was to work for Universal Health Care for all Americans. I remember him talking about how grateful he was that they were able to afford the best medical care for their son and how he wanted all Americans to be able to get the same kind of care whether rich or poor.

It over 30 years later and the US has made absolutely no progress in this area. If anything, things have gotten worse and fewer Americans have access to adequate health care. I think it will be a sad legacy if Kennedy dies before this country makes any progress in this area.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think KoM is noticing the same thing I do sometimes...
Does that make it any less jerky?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I think KoM is noticing the same thing I do sometimes... the fact that this board registers its sympathy for the hard times of others, and that this process is meaningless to those people.

No, actually I was more noticing that Senator Kennedy gets the sympathy of the board, and Joe Schmoe from Blow, Kentucky doesn't. Sure, the national media aren't going to tell us about Joe, but none of us have a personal connection to the Senator, either. Why should we care more about him than all the other people who are dying of cancer today?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I think KoM is noticing the same thing I do sometimes...
Does that make it any less jerky?
It makes it relateable, at least to me- your feelings about either one of us aside.

I don't see any reason to post my sympathy for anybody I don't know or care about in particular. You don't strike me as being terribly different in that regard.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

No, actually I was more noticing that Senator Kennedy gets the sympathy of the board, and Joe Schmoe from Blow, Kentucky doesn't. Sure, the national media aren't going to tell us about Joe, but none of us have a personal connection to the Senator, either. Why should we care more about him than all the other people who are dying of cancer today?
To segway:
Having a high school acquaintance murdered last April at Virginia Tech, I can assure you that any death/disease that becomes subject to public discussion is AWFUL. It hurts every single person that has a legit real life connection with the party in question. I hadn't seen Dan in five years before his murder. I cried like a baby. His death still disturbs me, and I hate it when other people dissect the VA tech events like a hypothetical nightmare. I can't begin to imagine how devastated his good friends were, if I felt so awful, annoyed and upset when random people would talk about the incident.

The point I'm trying to make is, people feel sympathy for every sad story with a face, and some people will get their problems publicized. Honestly, it's not a good thing for the Kennedy family and their friends. Instead of telling the people they know that Ted is not okay, the ones they choose to share with, those people will come to them and ask.

Unlike Britney Spears, whose life I believe would not be nearly so messed up if the people with cameras stopped following her around, the people actually have a right to know about Ted Kennedy's health. Or at least the residents of MA, who chose him to represent them in government should be told of his poor health, and given the nature of the condition, be educated on what it is. I think the article was too long, but knowing someone who had a brain tumor removed within the past month, further education on the condition was quite welcome.

King of Men
Member # 6684

[Total derail]
This word, 'segway', I do not think it means what you think it means. A Segway is a moderately cool form of personal transport. A segue is a smooth transition from one topic to another.
[/derail]

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Hey , it was 2 in the morning.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You don't strike me as being terribly different in that regard.
I'm not, which is why I almost never do. However, I don't post when other people are offering sympathy to belittle their decision(s) to do so. It is not necessary for an action to have positive value to me for it to have positive value to someone else.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted Kennedy is my senator, and he has done a lot for my state. I'm incredibly sad to hear about his diagnosis, and yes, his brain tumor does concern me, as he represents me. But I also think that, despite some of his personal habits, he is a great senator and has tried his best. While I feel that it is sad that Joe Schmoe doesn't get recognized, we can't identify and sympathize with every person out there. We wouldn't be able to live our lives. But when someone who has touched are lives is diagnosed with an illness or dies, then I don't think it's wrong to show a little sympathy, even if they may not directly see it.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, my grandma was diagnosed with almost the exact same brain tumor and died within three months. The type of tumor I have heard it is is an aggressively growing one, and is therefore very hard to treat. Also, its location in the brain near the motor and speech sections of the left side of his brain make surgery risky at best, and probably crippling were he to survive it. (again, this is what i've heard combined with my knowledge of the brain, cancer sources--parents, some books about the brain). Soo... He's in a bad way, is what I understand.

As for why he gets national recognition. In this case, it's because more people care if a contributing member of senate falls ill than if the local auto mechanic does. There is a greater public loss as his role of senator is more influential than that of a mechanic, not to say it is not also tragic when bad things happen to non-celebrity people.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
slightly OT: I feel bad for the families of the people who die and get featured in the Darwin Awards.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I don't think there's any such thing as a public loss. All loss is private.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to shed a bad light on a sad situation for him, but to be quite honest I'm amazed he's lived this long.

Not only do the Kennedy's have a history of dying young (I know most of the Kennedys did not have a say in the matter, so to speak, but still), but even though Ted Kennedy might be a good senator, at a personal level he seemed like a train wreck at times.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we, as a country, have always regretted the loss of a monarchy in some ways. The Kennedy family is as close as it gets for us. So, when a Kennedy falls, many people feel personally connected to it.

On another note, I took a class on treating abusive or addictive families, and I always remember the Kennedy genogram. It is quite fascinating. A genogram tracks a family as far back as they can. I don't know a heck of a lot about it, but I feel that the early deaths of many Kennedys is not necessarily general bad luck. I think the ancient Greeks would say it was "hubris." Others might say they have a fatal flaw in their gene pool. Anyway, here is their genogram:

First, here is the key:
http://www.genogram-analytics.com/sample-genograms/standard-symbols

And here is the genogram:
http://www.genogram-analytics.com/sample-genograms/kennedy-family

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering I know of very few Kennedys that died of natural causes (to be honest, I can only think of one), compared to how many I can think of that died due to "external factors", I can't see how it could be a "fatal flaw in the gene pool".
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If the fatal flaw affects behavior, leading to behavior that is risky one way or another?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, genograms are usually done to study a pettern of abuse (physical, sexual, or substance) in a family, so that would make sense, Rivka. I would like to see the genogram cross-referenced(if that is the right term) with the presence of ADHD in the family.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.