FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More Songs by Tom Lehrer

Author Topic: More Songs by Tom Lehrer
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found that there are lots of videos of him performing his songs on YouTube. I never realized that videos of his performances existed.

This one is precious, I think, because it gives an idea what it must have been like to have him as a math teacher. I wonder how many of his songs have never seen the light of day outside of a math class.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Delightful! [Smile] But where's the rest of it? [Cry]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. I've spent the last half hour - at least - watching the videos. I love Tom Lehrer.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
No!!!! It cuts off at secant squared!!! I love the videos and the songs... many happy hours...
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Tom Lehrer. I used to have the math AND the elements songs memorized. Actually, elements still is.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
"So long Mom, I'm off to drop the bomb" and "Who's next?" are some of my favorite Lehrer songs but they probably aren't nearly as funny if you didn't live through Vietnam and the Cold War.

The Vatican Rag is also hilarious.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"2 4 6 8 Time to Transubstantiate" is the funniest line in all of Tom Lehrerdom.

I have his boxed set "The Remains of Tom Lehrer" and I love it.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by amira tharani:
No!!!! It cuts off at secant squared!!! I love the videos and the songs... many happy hours...

Second half
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"So long Mom, I'm off to drop the bomb" and "Who's next?" are some of my favorite Lehrer songs but they probably aren't nearly as funny if you didn't live through Vietnam and the Cold War.
They are.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
They are.
I think those songs may be like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. In those cartoons there are some jokes that are accessible to 5 year olds, there is another layer of humor directed at adults and there is yet another layer of political and social satire that you only understand if you know the history of the era. I suspect those jokes are funnier to the people who actually remember that era than they are to those of us who've only read about it. I think the same is true of many of Tome Lehrer's songs.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rabbit and The Pixiest have found something to agree on. Tom Lehrer brings people together.

Must be National Brotherhood Week.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also always wanted to see what his face looks like when he says "yechh!" in Masochism Tango. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual photo of his face, just the caricature on the cover of "songs by Tom Lehrer."
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: Be grateful that it doesn't last all year.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
"There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that!" (National Brotherhood Week commentary)

Given the choice between his songs played in a studio versus recorded live, I prefer the live ones. The songs I've heard from studio recording don't have those comments, just the music, and I think it's better with the comments.

But it's all good - it's Tom Lehrer.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.