FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books that are/should/might be movies

Author Topic: Books that are/should/might be movies
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been buying alot of older science fiction books lately(my favorite book store is going out of buisness) and i was wondering why certain books aren't made into movies.

Alot of Heinlien(spelling...) books could easily make great movies, exspectially Tunnels In the Sky.

Yet it seems they only make the perfectly wrong book into a movie, like the Narnia movies. It's a good movie, but only if i don't think of the book as i watch it. Also the Hitchhikers Guide, i wouldn't have been able to make it though that without telling myself that Adams wrote about alternate universes where this could have happened. Why not make any good book to movie movies, or am i not looking hard enough?

P.S. i have heard alot about a good Dune mini-series., anyone know where i might find this?

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That Snow Crash has not yet been filmed continues to astonish me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

Isn't that the book that described alot of yet-to-be-made video games? I think it was credited with the MMO or something... and it does seem like an obvious choice for the film makeover after wikipedia-ing it.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune miniseries
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have this grand hope that someday someone would turn Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" into a movie.

Oh, well, I suppose I can still hope. [Wink]

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
'cough, cough'
Enders Game

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Tripod Trilogy, which I hear is in production now. [Smile]

I'd love to see Songmaster as a movie too!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Speed Racer has created some innovative special effects, it might actually be time for them to make a Snow Crash movie. I honestly don't think they could have done it until recently.

Nelson DeMille's John Corey books need to be made into movies. Corey is one of my favorite characters, and while it sometimes sounds like he's channelling Bruce Willis, I think there are other actors who could play him well.

Lawrence Block's Ian Tanner books. Except for the most recent one.

Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax.

John Varley's Red Thunder.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Snow Crash is good, but I think I'd prefer a movie version of Stephenson's The Diamond Age.

Robin Hobb's Liveship series. Well, shoot, anything by Robin Hobb, but Liveship is more action-friendly.

I admit it...I want more Tom Clancy movies.

Too bad Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde's stuff doesn't lend itself well to movie making. They are just so perfect in book form, though.

And one more--I think that Sgt. Nibley, Ph.D should be filmed, either as a movie or as a biographical documentary. Hugh Nibley is one of the few people for whom I am a slavish syncophant (ironic, since Brother Nibley would have no doubt been disgusted by that kind of devotion [Smile] ).

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think children's books make some of the better cross-over, mainly because the plots tend to be more straightforward and shorter, and depend less on subtle wordplay or introspection (*generally!).

I'd love to see a new version of The Phantom Tollbooth, and I think The Giver could make an amazing film. The Westing Game could also be a fun flick, although I don't think a film version would be out-of-this-world good.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
Dune miniseries

ahhh, i can't buy this due to my lack of credit cards. [Cry]

I've tried looking around town for it, but i had no luck. Let's all hope it's on Tv sometime soon!

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really cheap at Best Buy. Eight bucks or so. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Outlander
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Not Enders Game!
Enders Shadow!
Please Save Bean!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah and The Subtle Knife.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
new version of The Phantom Tollbooth

Until you said that, I didn't even know there was a movie version.

I loved that book. [Smile]

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
The giver scared me.
[Cry]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
Alot of Heinlien(spelling...) books could easily make great movies, exspectially Tunnels In the Sky.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd love to see a new version of The Phantom Tollbooth, and I think The Giver could make an amazing film.
Ditto to both of these.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my neighbors managed to get his hands on one of the few existing copies of Mary Doria Russell's original script for the movie version of The Sparrow. He claims he'll let me read it, but so far he's put me off. At a recent signing she said that the studio's rights to the movie expire in the next year or so and if they don't renew she will be able to make the movie her way, and much sooner. (Though I think Brad Pitt will still be Sandoz)

I've heard that all of Chuck Palahniuk's books, except Diary, will be made into movie. I think Choke was supposed to be the first. That makes me happy.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, "Choke" starring Sam Rockwell comes out in limited release on Sept. 26.

Don't know much about his other books like "Lullaby" or "Survivor" but I know that "Invisible Monsters" would be one freaky movie!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim (Angel, Firefly, The Inside, Drive) Minear wrote a screenplay for "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" and is trying to get it made.

Several of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books have been made into movies, both animated and live action. "Hogfather" just came out for Region 1 DVDs, in fact.

I want "Good Omens." I want "Stardance" (a modified version is in production with actual floating dance). "Red Thunder" would be fantastic (and local to me!) Heck with Narnia, I want "The Chronicles of Amber."

And I'd love to see how they handled Turtledove's "Guns of the South," it would almost have to be a maxiseries.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Would love to see Nine Princes in Amber/Guns of Avalon, but I don't know that they could be done justice.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall that The Wee Free Men is being made into a feature length... I think Sam Raimi was on board to direct. I read recently that Mort was once pitched to some studio who wanted to make it but "lose the Death angle" because that made it too dark. [Grumble]

I think Reaper Man and Carpe Jugulum could do well as movies and would love to see a quality TV series done out of the watch books, going through them chronologically with about 1/4 book per episode.

Speed Racer technology (being done entirely green screen with computer generated backgrounds) makes The Amber Chronicles very do able. Which, of course, revives the age old argument of who should play whom. I vote Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale reprise their antagonism from "The Prestige" as Corwin and Eric (I think they'd be interchangable)... they need to hurry, though, because I think Alan Rickman would be awesome as Julian if he's not too old.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wild Card series
Sanctuary
Another Fine Myth

anything but--The Wheel of Time

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
I recall that The Wee Free Men is being made into a feature length... I think Sam Raimi was on board to direct. I read recently that Mort was once pitched to some studio who wanted to make it but "lose the Death angle" because that made it too dark. [Grumble]

I think Reaper Man and Carpe Jugulum could do well as movies and would love to see a quality TV series done out of the watch books, going through them chronologically with about 1/4 book per episode.

Speed Racer technology (being done entirely green screen with computer generated backgrounds) makes The Amber Chronicles very do able. Which, of course, revives the age old argument of who should play whom. I vote Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale reprise their antagonism from "The Prestige" as Corwin and Eric (I think they'd be interchangable)... they need to hurry, though, because I think Alan Rickman would be awesome as Julian if he's not too old.

Oh, that would be awesome casting. [Smile] I'm more concerned about narrative coherency and not giving everything a painful level of exposition than the technological hurdles, though. Part of the joy of Nine Princes is getting thrown into a running story head-first; if we have to sit through long explanations of trumps or shadows or who Dworkin is, it would be depressing.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I would also love more Diana Wynne Jones books being made into movies. I thought the combination of Jones and Miyazaki for Howl's Moving Castle was apt.

What about Neil Gaiman's American Gods?

The Time-Traveler's Wife would translate well to film.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm biased because it was my introduction to Pratchett, but I adore "Mort" and agree that it would make a great film. But how can you lose the "death angle" when he is the coolest Discworld character??

I thought "Time-Traveler's Wife" would work but I am not excited about the casting they've done for it.

The script for "American Gods" would be a nightmare to write but I can see a condensed version of the story working well on film. Intriguing characters and cool CGI.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if I have repeated myself.
I want Sawyer from Lost as Jamie Fraser, and Keira Knightley as Claire. I can see Hugh Laurie in there somewhere, as well.

If not Sawyer, then Gerard Butler.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
They're working on another Clarke novel.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
They're working on another Clarke novel.

Which one?

I'm expecting them to try to remake 2001 any day now. If they do, I'll boycott movies forever.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
'cough, cough'
Enders Game

WOW dan i laughed so hard when i read this [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I vote Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale reprise their antagonism from "The Prestige" as Corwin and Eric (I think they'd be interchangable)... they need to hurry, though, because I think Alan Rickman would be awesome as Julian if he's not too old.

"Dammit, Corwin, I think you did it!"

"Not guilty, Julian!"

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for mentioning Neal Stephenson and Snow Crash. I had never heard of the book, so I went out and bought both Snow Crash and the Diamond Age. I read them both in two days and was not disappointed. I preferred The Diamond Age, but I think Snow Crash would make a better movie. I'm currently trying to find a copy of Quicksilver, but none of the book stores around here have it, and the library doesn't either... so either I'm going to have to wait for another library to send it here or buy it off from Amazon...
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Christian Bale would make a wonderful Corwin.

I do think it's possible to do a great version of Chronicles of Amber. I'm a bit fanboy-embarrassed to say this, but when I was 18 I wrote a Nine Princes screenplay. I knew I didn't have any right to do it, but I was bored that summer and it filled my time. I'm not saying they should use my script, I'm just saying that Zelazny has a style and a flow that couldn't be easier to put into screenplay form; all I basically had to do was re-type Nince Princes with a screenplay layout. They could film that book word for word.

It gets trickier after that though. My attempt to translate book 2 was not so easy.

Oh, man. Christian Bale. That's fun to think about.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by DevilDreamt:
Thanks for mentioning Neal Stephenson and Snow Crash. I had never heard of the book, so I went out and bought both Snow Crash and the Diamond Age. I read them both in two days and was not disappointed. I preferred The Diamond Age, but I think Snow Crash would make a better movie. I'm currently trying to find a copy of Quicksilver, but none of the book stores around here have it, and the library doesn't either... so either I'm going to have to wait for another library to send it here or buy it off from Amazon...

Check out Interface. It was originally listed as being by Stephen Bury, but it's actually by Stephenson and his father in law, and I believe it's being sold that way now.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
I do think it's possible to do a great version of Chronicles of Amber. I'm a bit fanboy-embarrassed to say this, but when I was 18 I wrote a Nine Princes screenplay. I knew I didn't have any right to do it, but I was bored that summer and it filled my time. I'm not saying they should use my script, I'm just saying that Zelazny has a style and a flow that couldn't be easier to put into screenplay form; all I basically had to do was re-type Nince Princes with a screenplay layout. They could film that book word for word.

Did you turn Corwin's narration into voiceovers?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
* So You Want To Be A Wizard? by Diane Duane
* Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet
* Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
* I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Because, though I enjoyed it, I refuse to acknowledge the Will Smith movie as an adaptation.)

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

"Not guilty, Gerard!"

No offense, but I fixed that for you. [Smile]

Jackman might be a better physical analog for Caine, but I just really liked the way he and Bale went at each other in "The Prestige". A lot of Chemistry there.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I think So You Want To Be A Wizard would make a great tv series, maybe at SciFi.
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Maybe I'm biased because it was my introduction to Pratchett, but I adore "Mort" and agree that it would make a great film. But how can you lose the "death angle" when he is the coolest Discworld character??

I thought "Time-Traveler's Wife" would work but I am not excited about the casting they've done for it.

The script for "American Gods" would be a nightmare to write but I can see a condensed version of the story working well on film. Intriguing characters and cool CGI.

They're making The Time-Traveler's Wife into a movie?! I didn't know! That was an excellent book.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:

I missed this earlier... yes, that was precisely the "joke" (except that this apparently really happened). How do you do Mort and "lose the death angle"? It's like saying "I'd like to do Cryptonomicon but lose that whole crypto/security angle."

Cryptonomicon, btw, would make a great couple of seasons of TV if anyone could afford to do it justice.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

"Not guilty, Gerard!"

If you hadn't I would have done it. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

"Not guilty, Gerard!"

Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.