FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My XBox 360 died :(

Author Topic: My XBox 360 died :(
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
How I feel about it.

However, it is covered under the warranty because it is exhibiting the [Eek!] [Eek!] 3 flashing red lights of death!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

!ZOMG!

At any rate....I'm trying to look on the positive. Positive #1: Hey, at least I'm not having to pay to get it fixed. Postive #2: I'm about to be back in school and really, really busy anyway. Positive #3: Maybe some of that gaming time can be spent writing instead.

But...but...but...I was about halfway through Half Life 2 in the Orange Box, and I hadn't made it past Level 18 in Portal and I had not gotten cake yet. [Frown]

Though...I wasn't going to finish that anyway because I borrowed the Orange Box from the library and it's due today. *sigh* I guess I shall not renew it.

Farewell XBox 360...I'll miss you while you're gone. *sniff*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem a few months ago and mailed mine in. I got a brand new console after about 6 business days so I am quite happy.

I understand your sadness, Orange Box is pretty much the essence of awesome in a box. I think you will find that Pillsbury can get you cake far FAR faster than Portal can.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
What, Orange Box from the Library?! What is this madness?!

Anyway, just buy the thing. Best collection of games, ever.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the infamous RROD. I'm currently on my second 360, the first one having died after about a year.

I consider myself lucky after hearing about folks who are on their 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. units. It's a good thing Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years. They're also pretty quick about replacements. They gave me an estimated repair time of 5 weeks, but instead sent me a different refurbished unit not even 2 weeks later. I didn't mind that, but if you want to get your own 360 back you might want to mention that to customer support.

I was thinking about upgrading to an elite, as I've heard they're less susceptible to the red rings, but on the other hand I've read a lot of anecdotal posts saying otherwise. I guess if my 360s keep breaking, I'll just keep having them replaced until the warranty ends, and then see if the console itself has enough life left to be worthy of a second purchase.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah, they gave me a long estimate too, but in my experience, those estimates are usually on the long side, to protect them. Very nice guy on the phone. Actually, mine was still within the original warranty, before it was extended. But, regardless, it shall be fixed.

Yes, I borrowed Orange Box from the library. There's one library in town that has a decent collection of 360 games. You have to time it right, however - I look online to see what day it's due, and try to be there that afternoon. In my experience, most people turn them in on the last day. You cannot reserve them - they keep the games on first come, first served.

I was on level 18! 18! I was close to the cake!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
The cake is a...*cough* Oh, never mind.

Anyway, is this a new thing? I've never heard of libraries with video games.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my third, but I'm confident this one is not going to die.
I also had a faulty hard drive and that was a major pain.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
AWWWW that picture made me cry. LOL
belle, does u have live?

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine flashed three red lights when the power went out while I was playing once, I was really worried the entire time the power was out. Haven't had any problems with it since though.

Sorry for your loss, when do you expect to get it back?

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endless Orion
Member # 11017

- posted      Profile for Endless Orion   Email Endless Orion         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend had the same problem. He mailed his in, and it took two months to get it back because of some issue with the shipment. He got back a "refurbished" system. It lasted a week and died in the exact same way. So he had to send it in again. After that it worked fine though.

Hope you have better luck than he did.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you were going to hold out, Belle [Big Grin] I seem to remember that when I was talking about getting mine. Of course, that was on the other side of buying a refurbished one to start with which went RROD in less than 10 hours of play (spread over a couple of days) and then there was a 4 month comedy of errors involving the vendor and the postal service, then another month during which time no 360s could be bought anywhere. So let's see, I bought it on September 17th in time for the Halo 2 release, and I don't think we got our 360 pro (which has the 175w power supply which is supposed to be better) until March. So pretty much a 6 month turn around.

Ha ha. I found the discussion, and you were holding out until Christmas.

[ May 25, 2008, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you, I'm on my secound but it took a month for them to send me a new one.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I was going to hold out, and in fact did not buy this one. My mother bought it and gifted it to the whole family.

We are not on live, because then we would never get anything done. We usually just play things like Halo splitscreen (nothing like coming up behind your seven year old for a beat down, or splattering your husband with a ghost), or Star Wars Battlefront II Galactic Conquests. Then, there's NCAA football, in which we've built a pretty impressive dynasty with Alabama. My husband is the quarterback and I'm the halfback on offense. He plays linebacker on defense and I play defensive tackle.

Good family fun. [Smile]

Anyway, we like our 360, the whole family uses it and we will miss it while it's gone.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on my third 360 as well. My first two units both got the RRoD. The third one is a new model (December 2007 manufacture date), so I'm hoping it won't die on me for many years. Especially since EBGameStop doesn't offer the $50 product replacement "warranty" on 360s anymore, so the mechanism I used to get two new 360s for $50 each is gone.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why i perfer the Ps3, it doesn't even have a ring to turn red! ALthough i do have a 360, and have gotten two rings and didn't realise it wasn't dead, it scared the crap out of me.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine went out a couple months ago. I looked online and found a bunch of free tutorials about how to fix it yourself. I spent about $15 and 2 hours later my xbox was working again and hasn't given me a problem since.

The only problem is that it voids your warrenty so I would only do it if you really, really don't want to wait two months for microsoft to fix it.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I found all those tutorials too, but decided NOT to void the warranty and let Microsoft take it.

I know it's going to be a while, but I'd rather that than take the chance that once I opened the case, it wouldn't be something simple that was easily fixed.

Belle
Member # 2314

It's coming home!!! Today!!!

[The Wave]

I've missed it.

[Party]

It was gone only one week - I shipped it out last Wednesday, and they tried to deliver it yesterday but no one was home. Today, someone will be here and they've already called to make sure we'd be here to sign for it.

I'm happy to have it back. [Smile] And, I'm impressed it was only gone one week.

I'll let you know later if it's truly back and working as it should.

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
When mine ringed I had it back within a week or so of when I sent it in. It had the same serial number as the one I sent, though I had a brand new DVD drive, which was nice because my old one was sticking and wouldn't open half the time.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

This is the same one, I don't know if it's a new DVD drive or not, but it is on, and working and I'm happy again.

Trust me, the XBox 360 not working during the summer when the kids are home all day...bad thing for my household.

Not that I like my kids to play video games all day or anything, but it's also our DVD player. And, with temperatures in the 90's, there are some hours of the day when they are much better off indoors.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, 360s don't seem to last long. I've been playing video games for nearly 20 years and I've never had a system break down on me. Of course, nearly every system I've ever owned was made by Nintendo.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I have logged plenty of hours on my 360 in the 2 years that I've had it and have yet to have a problem. The RROD(red ring of death) is heat related if I remember correctly. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I try to keep mine in a cool room and away from other operating appliances. How many hours a day does yours operate Belle?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
Wow, 360s don't seem to last long. I've been playing video games for nearly 20 years and I've never had a system break down on me. Of course, nearly every system I've ever owned was made by Nintendo.

I had my Gamecube break down on me once, but nothing else ever has.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

My 360 has been flashing the three red lights when I turn it off, but I'm still able to turn it on and play normally. Should I be worried?
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
My 360 has been flashing the three red lights when I turn it off, but I'm still able to turn it on and play normally. Should I be worried?

Possibly. Mine did this for a while before it finally died and wouldn't turn back on.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

That was the pattern with mine as well.

If you have not registered your 360, do so. That makes things easier if/when you have to call to report the RRoD. I had to register first, then they took care of everything so it was just an extra step.

Mine was less than a year old, so it was still under the original warranty, but they didn't even ask for a copy of the receipt. I had it, just in case, but it was unnecessary.

MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
That was the pattern with mine as well.

If you have not registered your 360, do so. That makes things easier if/when you have to call to report the RRoD. I had to register first, then they took care of everything so it was just an extra step.

Mine was less than a year old, so it was still under the original warranty, but they didn't even ask for a copy of the receipt. I had it, just in case, but it was unnecessary.

In case I need to, how do I go about "registering" my 360?

Mine is under a year old.

MattP
Member # 10495

You do it online in the "support" section of the xbox.com web site.
MEC
Member # 2968

Well, I've just been red ringed. I've already registered and called so hopefully this won't be too long.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm My n64 has never broke down and I've had it for 12 years. [Wink]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor dumb microsoft. First they bring us the blue screen of death, then the red rings of death.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.