FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rachel Ray is a terrorist (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rachel Ray is a terrorist
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a childhood memory of Arafat in pictures or on television in a red/white kaffiyeh, and it's really stuck with me. You're right that the black/white is what he frequently wore. I remember looking at pictures of him a few years ago and thinking "huh? I thought he always wore the red/white?"

Anyway, my mistake. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as I dug deeper I found another store that sold both versions. Its blurb said that the red/white was the original design, but the black/white has become the more common. I don't know when the change over occurred.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My memory would be from the 1980s; I lived in Amman for a year when I was six, and went to the occupied West Bank to visit family during that time.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee."

That makes me giggle.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a goddamned scarf, and Michelle Malkin is demented. I wish that word was more hyperbole than I suspect it is.

No, really, some weeks it's almost as if Malkin and Coulter have a running bet to see which can be the more absurd polemicist. They're nuts.

At least they're helpfully nuts, because they make for a really easy red flag when people cite or support them. It's like a giant sign saying "I am not looking for a balanced perspective; I don't even know what it would look like."

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a much smaller sign saying simply: "Ignore me."
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Heavens its Rachel Ray. Good grief. I think Oprah should wear one in support of Rachel. I think the ladies of the View should all wear one too. Sigh.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
British and US special forces have worn shemaghs on many occasions. This would be rediculous even if she were actually wearing a shemagh. As it stands... sigh.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Michelle Malkin must be gay because she wears earrings.

Oh wait, that's men, and only one earring.

Yes, of course, you can tell that a man is gay if he wears one earring.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
In which ear?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Right is wrong, left is right. The saying has it that if you wear an earing in the left ear then you are straight. also, if you wear an earing in both ears, it is ok.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So we should pull any commercial that has a man with an earring in his right ear. Right?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Oh, don't forget buttons on cuffs. That's militaristic. Any commercial that shows men with buttons on their cuffs should be pulled because it's warmongering.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I was just answering a question.

However, I would like to say that if we were to keep commercials on the air of a type. I would love to see the beer commercials with the pretty girls in bikinis that I have no chance with, lol. I would probably watch tv for a change.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
No problem, I was just riffing on Michelle Malkin' conflation of fashion trends with political statements.

BTW, I have a friend named Michelle Malkin. She's an atheist, liberal activist, retired welfare caseworker.

The columnist Michelle Malkin is irked by her presence.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:

It was rhetorical. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Zing!
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
pooka,
I'm not sure what you are referring to with that remark. Could you explain?

I thought you were asking whether it was okay to publicly express either anti-war or Palestinian solidarity sentiments, in a hypothetical context where it was intended as such.

I think the real question, which is one of the principle debates of discourse analysis, is what burden the communicator has for the perception of a listener. One might well say "none" but did the communicator know the listener well enough to avoid misunderstanding?

On the one hand, it's just a donut commercial, how could someone take offense at it? On the other hand, it's just a donut commercial, so if it offends someone, it seems better to err on the side of caution and just pull the sucker.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:

It was rhetorical. [Wink]
I really wish there was a way to impress upon the fact that my comment to Glenn really wasn't in defense. It was just a statement of fact.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Stan: Rivka's just giving me a dig because she once answered a question of mine and I said that it was rhetorical.

Really, I was just making fun of Michelle Malkin, not responding to your comment.

martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. Kale and I were just in England, and I pointed out these scarves that we saw fashionable young people wearing. I told Kale that if someone wore a scarf like that in the States, they'd be criticized for wearing a symbol of terrorism. And sure enough, we get home and here's this Dunkin Donuts silliness. I didn't even realize how ridiculous it really is until I read this thread.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.