FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer help please!!

Author Topic: Computer help please!!
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I unplugged my laptop and ran it on the battery for a little while. The battery died before I expected, though, and when it booted this morning the display is strange - big icons and big fonts and not our normal setting colors. This has happened before when the battery died (our battery has never worked very well) and my husband usually solved the problem by reinstalling windows. The icons really irritate him. I think that's kind of drastic, but I don't know why this happens or how to fix it. Anyone know what to do?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming your husband tried the obvious - readjusting the display/resolution settings - before reinstalling Windows.

Maybe the button cell battery needs to be replaced. When this happens, do the time and date get messed up, too?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

I wouldn't assume that either he or I know enough to try the right things. We both fiddled around but aren't computer savvy enough to accomplish anything except by chance.

The time and date seem ok. Everything seems kind of fuzzy, though, which I should have mentioned in my first post.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
If you right click on the desktop, go to properties, and then click on the settings tab, you can check the screen resolution. More than likely, that just got messed up. If the slider is all the way to the left, move it all the way to the right (Or find somewhere in between).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Hey, that worked! I am going to go lord it over my husband now. Thanks Boris, you saved my computer (and me...) from his reinstalling wrath!
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I'm glad it was that simple. Computers can be such a pain sometimes.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
Hey, that worked! I am going to go lord it over my husband now. Thanks Boris, you saved my computer (and me...) from his reinstalling wrath!

You have my permission to make him think you came up with it yourself [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.