FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New "Dune" movie?

Author Topic: New "Dune" movie?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Dune

I just bumped into this and know nothing about it. Hope it's gonna be better than the previous versions, although I've always thought that "Dune" is a particularly hard novel to adapt.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who was offered the script and turned it down because he knew nothing about the books at all. Which is admirable i guess. But man...what a missed opportunity!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Peter Berg--he's another decent actor who's made it as a director. A while back ago I posted the rumors that were circulating about this--one of which mentioned Berg utterly adoring the novel(s).

I think the first book can serve as the basis for a two-part epic. You can't whittle down the story of "Dune" to two and a half hours without losing much or coming off as rushed/incoherent. There's enough plot in the first novel to fuel a 20 part mini-series, so I'm kind of skeptical that Berg can pull this off.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
How neat. [Smile]
David Lynch's version is still awesome, and deals with the Noble Houses better, while the sci-fi channel miniseries shows Fremen culture better.

Though the second miniseries, Children of Dune (a combo of Dune Messiah and CoD), was really really close to the books. I was impressed. Music was awesome too. Of course they got Paul's son all wrong, as he never knew Leto II was going to exist because he was just like himself.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think of the two film versions of Dune as being symbiotic, or something. Each one offers whatever the other lacks.

I really liked James MacAvoy in the recent version.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Of course they got Paul's son all wrong, as he never knew Leto II was going to exist because he was just like himself.

Well, I think they had to do something like that, because the point of the first few books is that Paul is really screwing things up. Humanity is, and should be, like an ecosystem...very complex, with lots of different parts doing their own thing, not locked down into the pattern that the guild, or the Bene Gesserit, or any precient Emperor wants. Paul isn't even able to control the Fremen, they end up jihading despite his attempts to turn them from that.

Paul's increasing reliance on precience is locking down the very future of humanity, which will lead to their end. (It's a weakness of the books, I think, that the author isn't able to dramatize this well, he just has the characters say it a lot) Leto is going to fix that, but it's going to take a lot of time, a lot of chaos, and a big sacrifice on his part, so it's useful to have him poking up every now and then to hint to the audience that Paul is doing something wrong.

How effectively the miniseries got that across is a different question.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.