FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cheney makes inbreeding joke at W. Virginia's expense

Author Topic: Cheney makes inbreeding joke at W. Virginia's expense
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

...Okay, I'm awful, but I'll confess I thought it was funny.

Now, politicians in general really ought to know better than to make a joke like that. But on the other hand, Cheney has such a reputation as an ogre it's kind of interesting to see him looking, well, human.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So?

Everyone around here makes jokes like that all the time -- except Arkansas is usually the target, not West Virginia.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

"The state of American humor is Arkansas." --Garrison Keillor.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my reaction was pretty similar to Farmgirl's. I'm sure that it gets tiresome if you're from one of the states that is the butt of that kind of joke, but I don't really see this as something that requires an apology.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree...growing up in Iowa it was always Missouri or Minnesota getting those types of jokes, I think it is a very common state to state joke thing...not a huge deal in my mind!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Exactly. It's kind of sad to see the state of politics as such that this is news.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do think it is a little uncouth for someone in high elected office to make such a joke, but I still don't think it requires an official apology, and Robert Byrd didn't need to get up in arms about it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lostinspace:
I tend to agree...growing up in Iowa it was always Missouri or Minnesota getting those types of jokes, I think it is a very common state to state joke thing...not a huge deal in my mind!

Yup - I had the same thing in Wisconsin, except it was the UP of Michigan and Illinois who got the brunt of the jokes.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
quote:

Yup - I had the same thing in Wisconsin, except it was the UP of Michigan and Illinois who got the brunt of the jokes.
Hey! Those freaking Oopers and Flatlanders have it coming!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
In Arkansas, we make fun of Mississippi.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It was definitely uncouth and given his position he probably should not have said it, but my Lord, I've heard much worse and I don't think other politicians should make too big a deal about it.

But, some will. The nature of politics, and all that.

State to state jokes are definitely a staple, my favorite is this one:

"What's Alabama's state motto?"

"Thank God for Mississippi."

Implying, naturally, that we would be #50 in all state rankings except for our neighbors to the west.

Mississippians have an identical one about us.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I used to live it was:

"Why is it so windy in Idaho?"

"Because Utah sucks."

Or

"Why doesn't Idaho have an NBA franchise?"

"Because then Utah would want one."

Here in Hawaii I hear "small island" jokes about Molokai/Lanai, or "center of the universe" jokes about Oahu.

Every where you go, there you are...

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In California, we make fun of Texas (well, most of the South, but TX in particular.) When I lived in TX, they made fun of California. It seems that rivalry/opposition transcends physical geography. Maybe it's 'cause we're the second and third biggest states and Alaska's too far away to make fun of much.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in TX, they made fun of Oklahoma. When I lived in OK, they made fun of Arkansas.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, they made fun of OK and AR when I lived in TX, too. And Louisiana. And Missisippi.

I think maybe TX has a massive superiority complex. (Heck, I know it. My sister-in-law's blog is like a shrine to TX. It's kinda scary. I used to tell TX jokes while living in Dallas. My husband would laugh but the other people around would give me glares of death. No sense of humor about themselves...)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and they also made fun of NY when we lived in TX.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't everybody make fun of NY and TX? I thought that was a given. [Wink]
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't hear many NY jokes here in CA. Not like I heard in TX.

We even got the occasional Wisconsin and Minnesota joke in TX.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that everybody made fun of California.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I don't usually do "lists", but a cheeky young Californian on my staff sent me these and I don't have anyone else to share them with. You might be a Utahn if:
.You keep your clothes in 'Chester Drawers'
.You don't pronounce T's in the middle of words. (Moun'n, Lay'n)
.If there is a G at the end of a word you treat it as if it were silent.
.You know what Fry Sauce is made of.
.You go to the duck pond to feed the Seagulls.
.Green Jell-o with cabbage mixed in doesn't seem strange.
.You can pronounce Tooele.
.The U is not just a letter - Neither is the Y.
.You have actually eaten funeral potatoes.
.You've gotten both heat and frost burns FROM your car's door handle; in the same month.
.You are not surprised to hear words like 'Darn', 'Fetch', 'Flip','Oh, My Heck' and 'Shoot'.
.Your tulips get snowed on three times after they come up and twice; more after they bloom.
.The largest liquor store is the state government.
.You can go skiing and play golf on the same day.
.30% humidity is muggy and almost unbearable.
.Somewhere in your family tree is a polygamist.
.You know the difference between a 'Steak House' and a 'Stake House'.
.You've broken down on the highway and somebody stops to help you.
.You can see the stars at night.
.You were an aunt or uncle before you were three.
.Your spouse's mother was pregnant at your wedding.
.Your family considers a trip to McDonalds a night out.
.Your kids believe the deer hunt is a national holiday.
.You consider a temple recommend a credit reference.
.At least two of your salad bowls are at the homes of neighbors.
.You think Jack Daniels is a country western singer.
.You negotiate prices at a garage sale.
.You can make Jell-O salad without the recipe.
.You've heard about BYU football in a testimony meeting.
.You have two gallons of ice cream in your freezer at all times.
.Your father-in-law thinks Ronald Reagan was a liberal or a member of your family wrote in Lavell Edwards for president in the last election.
.You think all Hotel rooms have a Book of Mormon.
.You buy your wardrobe at the local grocery superstore.
.Your School stay open, even if two feet of snow falls over night, but closes for the opening of hunting season.
.You wear shorts and T - shirts if the temperature rises above 32 degrees
.Your favorite public transportation system is a ski lift.
.In-state college football rivalries are bigger than the Super Bowl.
.You don't have to breathe cigarette smoke until you walk outside a building.
.Your driveway has a minivan and a pickup truck.
.When you buy a new vehicle, cigarette lighters are optional equipment but ski racks are standard.
.More movies are filmed in your town than in Hollywood.
.You make a toast with red punch at your wedding reception.
.You have more raw wheat stored than some Third World countries.
.Your idea of a wild party is a six pack of Pepsi and a PG-13 movie.
.You and all your friends come to your mother for a haircut in her kitchen.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Texas blows. The only thing that keeps them from floating out into the gulf is Oklahoma sucks.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
quote:

Hey! Those freaking Oopers and Flatlanders have it coming!
Like the Yoopers care what us Trolls think. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
In Maine we tend to make fun of Massachusetts (Mostly the ones who come up here.) and Canada. Everyone makes fun of us.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I thought that everybody made fun of California.

They do. Even in CA. But we can take a joke. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Texas blows. The only thing that keeps them from floating out into the gulf is Oklahoma sucks.

*giggles*
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Georgia we make fun of Alabama. But after doing this all my life, I just found out at a family reunion that my granddad was actually born in Alabama and moved to Georgia as a child. Now I've got no one to pick on! [Grumble]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

We (Arkies) make fun of California too. After moving here I find most of the stereotypes.. don't go far enough...

When I first moved here, there was a commercial that was supposed to tap in to California state pride (I don't think there really is any.. at least, not here in the bay area...) where a woman announced proudly "I'm a Californian." I actually winced the first time I heard it. It was a bit like someone proudly announcing that they were the communist offspring of the lizard people. (Now I know she was probably just in the Green Party.)

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
In Maine we tend to make fun of Massachusetts (Mostly the ones who come up here.) and Canada. Everyone makes fun of us.

And all of us make fun of the ones from the County.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, in New Jersey we make fun of everyone (especially our neighboring states). Though I guess it's fair because everyone makes fun of us [Razz]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't have roadkill in South Dakota. That there is boredom induced critter suicide.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hell, in New Jersey we make fun of everyone (especially our neighboring states). Though I guess it's fair because everyone makes fun of us.
It really is hard to take New Jersey seriously.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
In Maryland, we make fun of a lot of states, but not West Virginia. Because that would imply that West Virginia's something to joke about and it's not.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, I wanted to be the one to make the "So?" reference...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Idaho is the natural place for Utahnn to make fun of. But Utah is definitely a unique place in many respects.

I laughed at the spouse's mother being pregnant at the wedding.

Dan Raven: [ROFL]

Maine making fun of Mass seems odd since it was the spawn of the latter. TBH they should just flood OK until about 5 feet of water covers the whole state and then we'd have a continental pool. It would be awesome.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fine because it was West Virginia.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think maybe TX has a massive superiority complex.
I didn't know steers felt that way. And I met the other group that comes from TX. It's more flamboyance than superiority.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Q: How do we know the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia?

A: Because otherwise it would have been called a teethbrush.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
In California, we make fun of Texas (well, most of the South, but TX in particular.)

We do?

quote:
I don't hear many NY jokes here in CA.

You don't? I do.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl: Grump. My mother was from Arkansas, and my father was from West Virginia. But fortunately I was raised a Michigander. (Lower Penninsula.)

It is a good thing that Massachusetts is a Commonwealth. Otherwise we could say it is the stupidest state in the Union, for continually re-electing Ted Kennedy and John Kerry to the U.S. Senate.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohioans, at least in Southern Ohio, tend to make fun of Kentucky. Then again, in my town, where a lot of people are uneducated and living in trailers, the name of the town has been joked as being "Springtucky."

I have family in Kentucky and I still laugh my head off at those kinds of jokes.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pegasus:
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:

And all of us make fun of the ones from the County.
Lubec and/or Medway are the towns of choice for making fun. [Big Grin]
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear the Maine State Library burned last week?

Yeah. They lost both books.

And they hadn't even been colored yet.

----

The Maine Governor's mansion burned, too.

Along with the rest of the trailer park.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
A variation of some of the jokes above:

Why is Kansas so windy?

Because Nebraska blows and Oklahoma sucks. [Razz]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
What do a tornado and a West Virginia divorce have in common?

Someone always loses a trailer.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
The only ones who seemed to care here in WV was the media.
The people laughed at it. Here we just get it down to the county or city level though!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
In California, we make fun of Texas (well, most of the South, but TX in particular.)

We do?

quote:
I don't hear many NY jokes here in CA.

You don't? I do.

Always have, ever since I was a child, and I hear a few but not as many. I must hang in the wrong circles.

Either that, or you do. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Ohioans, at least in Southern Ohio, tend to make fun of Kentucky. Then again, in my town, where a lot of people are uneducated and living in trailers, the name of the town has been joked as being "Springtucky."

I have family in Kentucky and I still laugh my head off at those kinds of jokes.

That strikes me as funny 'cause I've heard all my life that if you're living in southern Ohio you might as well be living in Kentucky. [Razz]
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been joking about West Virginia ever since they started broadcasting their Charlestown slot machine commercials. Wild and wonderful!
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.