FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey folks who live along the Oregon Trail and stuff.

Author Topic: Hey folks who live along the Oregon Trail and stuff.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm driving across and should have time to drop in on folks. I'm especially thinking of Noemon and Farmgirl - though are you more on I-70? Well, PM me on GC or email me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, according to maps of the Oregon Trail, that's quite a bit north of me. I'm in lower south-central Kansas - less than 100 miles off the Oklahoma line.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked playing the game when I was a kid...but there was no I-70. I did ford a river or two though. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, we're probably getting from Maryland to Salt Lake first, and then continuing on to Oregon, so we can be somewhat flexible, especially if there's chickens need pluckin'. [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm much closer to the Oregon trail, but it's still about 100 miles or more to the north and east of my current location.

What's your starting point and destination?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Question answered. Well, I'm in Concordia, on US-81, which connects I-70 in Salina, KS to I-80 in York, NE. I'm afraid the road isn't terribly scenic, but it's a nice four-lane divided highway.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite close to the end of the Oregon trail.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you bring enough oxen!
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We are right on the Oregon Trail. Also the Mormon trail and the Lewis & Clark historic trail. This must have been a good place to cross the river or something.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Grueling pace, 20 oxen, no rest, 1 set of clothing and 1 blanket to trade with the natives. that plus food= one oregon trail run.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think it would be cool to see you, dkw, though I realize our timing may be really poor for your situation.

We're still waffling between departing on the 18th vs. the 23rd. If the 23rd, I'd probably have to make somewhat better time.

Honestly, I can't believe I'm even considering the 23rd.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pm you our phone # and you can give us a call when you're close. If it works out, great. On this end, as long as I'm not actually in labor it will be fine. I'll be off work by then, and we're not moving until sometime in July. The house might be a disaster of packing and sorting, but we could for sure meet somewhere for lunch or ice cream or whatever.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
Question answered. Well, I'm in Concordia, on US-81, which connects I-70 in Salina, KS to I-80 in York, NE. I'm afraid the road isn't terribly scenic, but it's a nice four-lane divided highway.

T-Storm! Why have you never mentioned this before? (I knew you were Kansas, but I thought K.C. KS area). I go through Concordia quite often, on my way up to York NE, and points east or west from there.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

pooka -- you do realize that Noemon no longer lives in Kansas, but in Ohio now? I don't know if the Oregon Trail goes that far east [Wink]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Well, I used to live in the KC area, but I moved about two years ago. I only occasionally make it to Wichita, though, and then I'm usually occupied hanging out with college friends.

But hey, next time you're coming through, we should meet. Or vice-versa...but I don't know the next time I'll go to Wichita.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live on the Oregon Trail but I got tired of typing BANG over and over every time I was hungry
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - I went through your town about three times last year -- but I don't have any plans that way yet this year [Frown]

If you contact me in Wichita sometime, I'll buy lunch! [Smile]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

Or we can get a deal on lunch where my buddy works...

It's looking like we'll run a race in Wichita sometime in the fall. Either the half marathon on the Sept 21 or the marathon relay on Oct 19.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(curious as to where he works now, and whether I've ever eaten there) but.. I don't want to derail pooka's thread [Smile]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Any more than it has been derailed, agreed. [Smile]

We now return you to...The Oregon Trail!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I live along the Lewis & Clark trail, about 30 miles south of I-70 in the STL area. Whether the Oregon trail starts in St. Louis or in parts farther west is debated between real historians and St. Louis promoters.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
but we could for sure meet somewhere for lunch or ice cream or whatever.
Deal!
I'll send you a PM on Galacticcactus, Farmgirl.

(I may be working with an inadequate understanding of relative geographies).

[ June 06, 2008, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.