FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Windows xp versions

Author Topic: Windows xp versions
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone might be able to enlighten me as to what Windows XP media center is, and how it differs from home and pro.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiki
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Well yeah, I had read that, but it just didn't seem to be very informative. Is it just software for an entertainment system? Or is it an actual OS for a PC? is there no traditional windows start menu?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Media Center Edition retains most of the features included Windows XP Professional

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
MCE is basically just Windows XP with a Media Center application/suite of applications bundled with it.

The Media Center software allows you to watch/record/playback live tv, navigate a media library, and do other such stuff. You'll need a TV tuner card, of course, if you want to watch TV with it. There are also plugins for doing other stuff like displaying weather information, listening to internet radio, or playing podcasts.

Some people hook up a PC with MCE directly to their TV - that was sort of the original intent of MCE. Another option is to get a Media Center Extender - a lightweight hardware device that hooks to your TV and communicates with your MCE PC over your home network. It gives you the same Media Center experience while leaving all of the storage, tuner hardware, and some of the processing on the PC that's running MCE. The XBox 360 can act as a Media Center Extender.

I used to use the XBox 360 as a MCE extender, but now just use media sharing with Vista to get the functionality I really care about - streaming DivX videos and mp3s.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Does one have to have MCE to use a MCE extender with their PC?

For example, could I use my 360 to stream stuff from my computer to my TV?

MattP
Member # 10495

You do have to have MCE installed somewhere to be able to use MCE Extender functionality with the whole MCE UI, which is designed to be friendly to use like a satellite tuner program guide interface.

However, you do not need to use MCE if you just want to stream video or audio content from your Windows PC to your XBox 360. There is a Windows Media sharing feature built into Vista (and part of Windows Media Player 11, I think, for XP) which will allow you to share media files with your 360.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
MattP, this is probably a bonehead question, and i haven't bothered to research it at all, but in case you have the answer at your fingertips...

Do the media center / media server features in Vista run as services outside of a user session or does someone have to be logged in? And is there a straightforward way to tell the PC "don't go to sleep, because I need you awake for TV recording / media serving / etc."?

If it's involved just let me know and I'll do some googling. Just hoping there's a simple answer.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

I'm not sure if someone needs to be logged in as I'm always logged into mine though my recollection is that there was a service associated with the Media Center stuff so a login may not have been necessary with that.

I let mine turn off the display and spin down the drives, but I've disabled "standby" mode. You can do that through "Power Options" in the control panel.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto (except not the screen -- I use that). And one of my purchases during the recent Woot Off was a couple of these. (For about half the price.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.