FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some positive autism-related news...

Author Topic: Some positive autism-related news...
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
linky

This is the theater right down the road from me. I really wish they'd had this option available when my daughter was just a little bit younger - I'm amazed that it turned out to be one of those things that was just there for the asking.

Just something feel-good [Smile] . Maybe others have examples of ways their community supports people with disabilities?

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's awesome. That does make me warm and fuzzy.

I've seen special showtimes for parents with little babies as well, which I also think is an excellent idea.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so cool. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a wonderful thing to do!
Even I flap my arms and squee a bit from time to time at movies. How awesome.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lower sound is a great idea.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.

There's a local dance studio that has classes for "autistic and non-autistic kids" (this is the same class), "all abilities welcome."

My four-year-old wants to take dance in the fall when she outgrows preschool (they go to four and a half) and we homeschool instead.

I am thinking of seeing if the times and prices are conducive to doing it in that class, what an awesome experience that would be for her and us.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I would love if they brought this to my area. I'd actually be able to take Emma to a movie (she's not autistic but she has SPD.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a great idea. I am almost surprised no one has done this earlier than now.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a great idea! I'm glad it has caught on so well.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh, and I would love if they brought this to my area. I'd actually be able to take Emma to a movie (she's not autistic but she has SPD.)

KQ, You need to follow the example of the mother in the article and contact a local theater and ask. Take the article along for support.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. This isn't a particularly new thing, but more of an adaptation of events that have been going on for awhile. I've seen special screenings for parents of infant children and others with unique needs. The AMC theaters where I worked were always opening early for church groups, summer movie camps, etc. You just have to make a request to get the ball rolling.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Our local AMCs won't even do the babies screenings. (I've known people who asked.) The nearest one that does is further than I'd like to drive.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know our theater has screenings for the hearing impaired with subtitles, and the sound is also on, so that hearing family members and friends can enjoy the movie the traditional way, and the hearing impaired can read the subtitles.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome!
I'm inspired to ask the local theatre if they can do hearing impaired showings; I'm tired of waiting til movies come out on DVD to know what all the dialouge was.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be nice if movie theaters could turn down the volume and do away with trailers for everyone? Actually, I'd settle for just turning down the sound a bit. The extreme volume is one of my chief complaints with almost every theater.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why theaters don't have a different screen up top or on bottom of every movie. I personally just like sub-titles, so i don't confuddle words.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love subtitles too!

We started watching tv with closed captions so we could have the volume lower while the kids slept (or hear when they unexpectedly screamed.) Now we just leave them on all the time because you get so much more out of shows that way (at least when they're captioned properly), you never miss a word that way.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate subtitles. I end up missing everything because I am distracted by the captions.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.