FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A new-found freedom

Author Topic: A new-found freedom
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been bumping up against the limits of the 60GB hard drive in my laptop for years now. I have two external hard drives, but my music and photo files, which I always wanted to have on my laptop, together claimed almost the whole space. I finally caved and moved two of my photo libraries exclusively to an external. I now have 12GB of free space on my main hard drive. I feel giddy with all the possibilities that have opened up! Strange.

I hardly know where to start. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
When I found out that iphoto had it's own trash that needed to be emptied separately, I realized I had three years of pictures I had thought I had deleted, and suddenly I had six gigs of available space. I could download new things and manipulate files and move stuff around to externals. All you need is a couple gigs of wiggle room and it's like a whole new computer.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My main computer has 1.5TB of storage; I try to keep 500GB free at any given time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

Someday.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
My main computer has 1.5TB of storage; I try to keep 500GB free at any given time.

Show off.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:

[Razz]

My only computer is a 12.1", 4.5lb, 4 yr-old laptop.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really much to show off, when you think about it. All you really need to have 1.5TB today is $200 in disposable income. [Smile] Storage has gotten so cheap that the real show-offs need to actually bling their hard drives with spindle windows and LEDs nowadays. *grin*

[ June 08, 2008, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
(Sigh) I need to change my primary hard drive for something bigger one of these days; all the little additions and programs that really "want" to be on the C: drive are starting to cramp its confines.

I'm looking forward to re-installing the OS and trying to get all the various drivers and "essential" programs working again in much the same way one looks forward to a long-delayed visit to a dentist.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
What are spindle windows anyways?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Sterling: if you buy a retail drive, you might luck out and get a ghost utility bundled. This would allow you to copy your entire current drive intact onto the new drive, thus eliminating the need to reinstall anything.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

If you have a mac seriously consider this app. It gives a really nice visual representation of your hard drive use and lets you find little things that can save you space. I found that I had two versions of keynote and that Microsoft Office is morbidly obese. It's a really nice, free little app.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
If you have a mac seriously consider this app. It gives a really nice visual representation of your hard drive use and lets you find little things that can save you space. I found that I had two versions of keynote and that Microsoft Office is morbidly obese. It's a really nice, free little app.

SequoiaView does the same in Windows

Edit: Miro, if you ever get back to having some real free space on the drive, try to keep a good chunk free. Drives are happier when they have some breathing room. I know how hard that can be with a laptop (I had a 30GB main drive for about 4 years), but it's worth it!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sterling: if you buy a retail drive, you might luck out and get a ghost utility bundled. This would allow you to copy your entire current drive intact onto the new drive, thus eliminating the need to reinstall anything.

I'll look into it, but I'm torn. Part of the reason to do a reinstall is to get rid of the accumulated detritus that slows everything down. It's kind of a "eat your vegetables, they're good for you" kind of situation...

Still, it's a good thought, thanks.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

dp - Thanks for the link. I used that program and found out that an iPhoto library I had deleted a long time ago (I no longer use iPhoto) still existed in a second location. That's 5 gigs of additional space!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.