FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Intuition (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Intuition
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
most people would answer 2.
What's the basis for saying this? It seems generally accepted, but do we know it's true?
I only know what I have been told when I've come across similar questions. That the majority of people pick option 2(or whatever option has the extra information). But I've never done the experiment myself or seen any hard facts to support this, so no, I can't prove it.

I wouldn't even know where to look to try to find data on these types of questions.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
One can be a feminist and yet not a "radical feminist".

Naaaa. That's impossible. In fact adding radical is not necessary since all feminists are radicals. [Wink]

ETA smiley face to indicate sarcasm.

[ June 16, 2008, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: scholarette ]

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You're kidding, right? It could go either way.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
quote:
One can be a feminist and yet not a "radical feminist".

Naaaa. That's impossible. In fact adding radical is not necessary since all feminists are radicals. [Wink]

ETA smiley face to indicate sarcasm.

Perhaps in the common usage, but academically speaking "radical feminism" is one of many different feminist schools including "liberal feminism", "marxist feminism", "eco-feminism", "postmodernist feminism" and many others.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I've seen that, but I've seen it differently.

What if I told you that Anna:

a) Majored in English literature.
b) Is 35 years old.
c) Has had poetry published.
d) Subscribes to American Poetry Review.

Now, which of the two following statements is more probably true?

1. Anna is an English professor at an Ivy-league university.
2. Anna is a truck driver.

I'd probably answer 1. I can't see why 2 would be at all more likely given the limited information available.
Well there are only 8 schools in the Ivy League. I just checked and Harvard has 16 women English professors. By extrapolation I'd estimate that there are only about 120 women English professors at Ivy League schools in the world.

In contrast, there are an estimate 3.2 million truck drivers in the US, about 5% of whom are women and about 30% of whom have some college education.

So as a rought estimate there are around 50,000 college educated women truck drivers in the US.

So given the limited information available, I think its far more likely that the woman is one of the ~50,000 college educated women truck drivers than one of the 120 Ivy league women English professors.

btw...Rabbit won the thread. So I'm not exactly sure why conversation is still continuing. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
You're kidding, right? It could go either way.

You?, It?

Could you give us a hint?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.