FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need a little computer help (probable mayfly)

Author Topic: Need a little computer help (probable mayfly)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm trying to play a really old game (Star Wars Rebellion) with my brother, but we can't for the life of us make it work. We're trying to do a direct connection, since we're both on the same network and all, but when we try to connect to a game that the other person has made, nothing shows up.

We have each other's IP addresses, which is all you have to enter to supposedly search for the game, but nothing. I'm wondering if maybe firewalls or virus protection is somehow denying access to the other person's IP address or something? I really can't figure it out.

It used to work, but no matter how many times we've tried, we've never been able to get it to work on XP. I don't get why we can't just do a direct connection since we're on the same network, but it's a really old game.

Anyone? Ideas?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure Windows Firewall is disabled on both computers while you try to connect.

Also, there's some information here.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's possibly a Firewall issue.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the program is on the "allowed" list of the firewall.

Usually when a new program tries to access the internet, it will give you a prompt to choose whether to put it on the "allowed" list or not.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eklrru
Member # 11650

- posted      Profile for eklrru           Edit/Delete Post 
Here [swrebellion.com] is a fairly decent guide/faq to trying to get multiplayer to work. It's a touch overkillish, since you're on the same network, but see if it works for you.

edit: That is of course, if the windows firewall didn't end up being the culprit.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks. I was trying to avoid going the Hamachi route, because it just seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth, especially when I've read that people have played quite easily over a wireless network before.

We're going to try it again tonight with the firewalls disabled.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you doing a direct connection from NIC to NIC (need a crossover cable and NICs set at half duplex), or are you connected via a hub, switch, or router?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well we have a wireless router. But I think the way we were trying to connect was a direct IP connection.

I don't know how to just directly connect over the router.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
if you're both connected to the same router then using IP address is the right way to address the other computer, I think.

There might be more than one firewall to worry about...the router probably has one, Windows XP has one, sometimes if you have additional security software installed you can have one, my motherboard even had one built in.

You might start your troubleshooting by simply opening a command prompt (Start: Run: cmd) and then seeing if you can ping the other computer's IP address (e.g. "ping 192.168.0.3"). If that times out instead of showing you successful ping times, then there is probably a firewall issue somewhere that you'll have to track down.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That sounds like something that'd be a bit beyond my computer skills to fix.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.