FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » i am a science teacher. today we are branding a cross on your arms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: i am a science teacher. today we are branding a cross on your arms
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The school board of a small central Ohio community voted unanimously Friday to fire a teacher accused of preaching his Christian beliefs despite staff complaints and using a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms.

School board members voted 5-0 to fire Mount Vernon Middle School science teacher John Freshwater. Board attorney David Millstone said Freshwater is entitled to a hearing to challenge the dismissal.

Freshwater denies wrongdoing and will request such a hearing, the teacher's attorney, Kelly Hamilton, told the Mount Vernon News.

School board members met a day after the consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc. released its report on the teacher's case.

The report came a week after a family filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Columbus against Freshwater and the school district, saying Freshwater burned a cross on a child's arm that remained for three or four weeks.

Freshwater's friend Dave Daubenmire defended him.

"With the exception of the cross-burning episode. ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch for a story published Friday.

Several students interviewed by investigators described Freshwater, who has been employed by the school district located 40 miles northeast of Columbus for 21 years, as a great guy and their favorite teacher.

But Lynda Weston, the district's director of teaching and learning, told investigators that she has dealt with complaints about Freshwater for much of her 11-year term at the district, the report said.

A former superintendent, Jeff Maley, said he tried to find another position for Freshwater but couldn't because he was certified only in science, the report said.

Freshwater used a science tool known as a high-frequency generator to burn images of a cross on students' arms in December, the report said. Freshwater told investigators he simply was trying to demonstrate the device on several students and described the images as an "X," not a cross. But pictures show a cross, the report said.

Other findings show that Freshwater taught that carbon dating was unreliable to argue against evolution.

I mean I can think of worse ideas but honestly I think that man deserves some kind of award.

he ain't even smart or honest enough to know not to present an impossible defense (it's just an X!) to authorities so obviously he is a perfect candidate for teaching science to our students. bless.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
He probably could have got away with being a really bad teacher, so it's really a good thing that he went crazy and decided branding students was a good idea.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he has been a teacher for 21 years, so there has to have been support from faculty or parents somewhere. It even said there are students who like him as a teacher. All this means to me is education today isn't about learning, but about politics.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why wasn't he arrested immediately after the 'cross-branding' thing? To me that's perhaps a more troubling story than this one.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, he has been a teacher for 21 years, so there has to have been support from faculty or parents somewhere. It even said there are students who like him as a teacher. All this means to me is education today isn't about learning, but about politics.
He's being fired for doing something undeniably inexcusable for a public teacher. He's being fired right after he does it. You conclude that it means that education "isn't about learning, but about politics."

What the heck do you even mean.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Occassional, if you brand a student, you get fired. Period.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the "branding" permanent? I mean, I can't imagine he'd cause the students pain, which a real branding, like branding cattle, would. I'd assume it's a temporary process that'd wear off, otherwise I can't imagine that he wouldn't be fired, brought up on charges, and the district sued.

I'd like more details on the process.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know, also, how a high-frequency generator works, and its effect on the human body. It could very well be that the default pattern really WAS just an "X." Doesn't it use radio waves, or something along those lines? It's not like he took a poker off the coals and laid it on a kid's arm.

So, we don't know a number of things:
1. How the generator even works and if it's permanent,
2. If the student volunteered or not,
and 3. the SOURCE of the article. Speaking from experience, newspapers in Columbus can be pretty skewed and unreliable.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
3. the SOURCE of the article.
When an article says (AP) it is Associated Press.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D91DVT200&show_article=1&image=large

Doesn't really look like a cross to me...

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
he's crazy theres a reason we have a separation between church and state
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:

Where's your imagination?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:

It looks like bad acne. If you look for it I think you can see a cross, and I certainly don't see just an X. I'm more curoius about the process at the moment and whether or not the students volunteered.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't imagine he'd cause the students pain, which a real branding, like branding cattle, would.
The original CNN article on this quoted the kid's parents as saying he was crying in pain so bad he couldn't sleep the day it happened. The article has changed since then and doesn't include the quote anymore.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The school board of a small central Ohio community voted unanimously Friday to fire a teacher accused of preaching his Christian beliefs despite staff complaints and using a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms.
This sentence is worthy of the attention of the Grammar Ninja Death Squad. He very likely preached in spite of staff complaints; many people do. It is exceedingly unlikely that he preached in spite of branding a student with a cross. Rather, he is "accused of preaching despite complaints, and of branding a student". The ninjas have accordingly been dispatched, and will not rest from righteous vengeance until their mission is fulfilled!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
About the high frequency thing... my understanding is that, given a high enough frequency, alternating current of extraordinarily high voltage can be applied to a human harmlessly. I remember receiving a 3-5kV shock from a Tesla Coil at the Griffith Park Observatory and remember watching someone demonstrate standing on a similar device unharmed while a piece of wood he was holding burst into flames.

Maybe the teacher was trying something like this?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Occassional, if you brand a student, you get fired. Period.

Thank you.

And what the heck does it matter if it's permanent or not? If I punch a child in the nose, and his nose bleeds, the fact that the blood can be wiped up is really not the point. I can't imagine that any experiment which leaves a semi-permanent mark on skin would be condoned in any public school. I mean, even the Catholic schools don;t brand their students! (kidding)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Hell, I don't care if it's permanent, painful, or impermanent and painless. You shouldn't either, Occassional. It's a disgraceful thing for a teacher to do, and disgraceful for you to excuse it as 'just politics'.

And of course this ignores the non-question of whether there's any learning at all about 'teaching' Creationism in a science class.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't appear that it matters that it looks like a cross, or even if the kid volunteered. Heck, a teacher with 21 years under his belt can ask his class "who wants to get kicked in the rear?" and *someone* will probably volunteer; that doesn't mean he has a free pass to do it.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Edited -- Try this link instead:
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D91DVT200&show_article=1

I think the [image first linked a few posts above, url ends with "large"] is in such close-up that it is harder to see the overall design (as in a close-up of a tattoo). [There is some pixilation, suggesting it is losing image quality on close-up. Other parts of the image are less fuzzy when not zoomed in as well.] The original view of the article [linked above in this post] has an image at resolution that is more suggestive of the cross interpretation.

I don't think it is clearly a deliberate cross, although I'd want to see it firsthand to judge. I am surprised this was done on more than one child. From what I see, I do expect that would hurt quite a bit.

[ June 21, 2008, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5214063&page=1

It's a deliberate cross and the guy's a liar (now on more than one issue)

And seriously occasional, what were you talking about. I know you are reading this thread. It's not very covert.

sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, even the Catholic schools don;t brand their students! (kidding)
Maybe not physically, but...
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
And what the heck does it matter if it's permanent or not? If I punch a child in the nose, and his nose bleeds, the fact that the blood can be wiped up is really not the point. I can't imagine that any experiment which leaves a semi-permanent mark on skin would be condoned in any public school. I mean, even the Catholic schools don;t brand their students! (kidding)
You don't see a substantive difference between say, writing on someone with a Sharpie and melting a couple layers of skin with hot metal? Other than ElJay's account, I've seen absolutely nothing on the process itself, how painful it is or isn't, or what the longterm effects were. If he had written on them with a Sharpie for whatever reason, would there be such an uproar? I highly doubt it.

The controversy seems to be stirred up mostly by the word "brand." But without details, I have no idea if the word is appropriate or not.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, the example she gave was punching someone in the nose, from which one can heal. But it's still an injury, not writing with a sharpie.

The picture shows an injury.

And for what it's worth, I can't believe those here who claim they can't see the cross shape, which is clearly visible in the photograph.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The report came a week after a family filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Columbus against Freshwater and the school district, saying Freshwater burned a cross on a child's arm that remained for three or four weeks.
Next Mr. Potter, for detention, you will write "I will not lie" on the back of your hand.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
That is so weird. I thought MY biology teacher was bad.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
If he had written on them with a Sharpie for whatever reason, would there be such an uproar?
Well, I'd be less pissed because it wouldn't have involved an actual violent assault (as we usually think of stuff like that). But I'd still be pissed.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It's not even much of an injury. Marking someone with a high-frequency generator probably doesn't even hurt. I'm not assuming he tortured or maimed or assaulted any students.

He just branded them. With a christian cross. In his science room. Where he displayed the ten commandments and taught creationism and preached christian religion.

Injury isn't the issue. It's (1) this guy turning his classroom into a pulpit, (2) pulling an insanely stupid stunt as part of 1, and (3) being a flat-out liar.

adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a College student in the Town were this happened, studying to be a teacher, actually. Never thought it would show up here.

On several occasions I had a chance to meet, observe his class, and talk to him. And after this happened (This is actually old news) I heard the reactions from the teachers around him. They were very supportive, not complaining about him like the news articles seem to say.

There are really two different claims here:

1) That he was preaching in class and

2) That he branded a student

Now to address them from a personal experience.
1) He never preached in the classroom. He had posters, as many teachers do, hanging on his walls. Some of them included quotes from the Bible. He also had a Bible sitting on his desk for his own personal use. He offered to remove the posters, but the Bible was for his personal use, and would not remove it.

2) The branding, from my understanding, happened to more than one student. They volunteered and even asked if he would. The high voltage generator (my understanding is it was a Tesla Coil) does not produce any serious pain. No more than a Van de Graff generator. Just minor discomfort. The claim that the kid was unable to sleep because of pain is flat out not true.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Injury isn't the issue.
Injury is a separate issue. I'd be hard pressed to say that injury is of secondary importance.

And I'd also be hard pressed to say that marking someone with high-freq current doesn't hurt. Especially when it leaves significant tissue damage.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Injury, however, is the issue if you're trying to figure out why the guy wasn't arrested immediately, which I am. Most school districts these days don't even allow a formal paddling. I don't think a teacher could have gotten away with an actual branding even 100 years ago. If this inflicted injury, that the teacher wasn't in a jail cell that evening demands an explanation.

It seems more likely that something other than "burning" occurred here. Hence my previous suggestion that maybe it was some kind of demonstration along the lines of what I have seen from people with Tesla Coils and the like. Edit: and while I was posting, someone has confirmed that hypothesis... thank you.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Lyrhawn, the example she gave was punching someone in the nose, from which one can heal. But it's still an injury, not writing with a sharpie.

The picture shows an injury.

And for what it's worth, I can't believe those here who claim they can't see the cross shape, which is clearly visible in the photograph.

See, I doubt the generator hurts. Punching someone in the nose hurts. Sharpie doesn't. The picture shows a mark, not an injury.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
" With the exception of the cross-burning episode... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district,"

How do you even say that with a straight face?

"With the exception of the beating episode, I believe he loves his wife."

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

quote:
[QUOTE]
And I'd also be hard pressed to say that marking someone with high-freq current doesn't hurt. Especially when it leaves significant tissue damage.

If he were to have taken them outside and one of them got a sunburn, that's significant tissue damage. It also heals.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
The high voltage generator (my understanding is it was a Tesla Coil) does not produce any serious pain. No more than a Van de Graff generator. Just minor discomfort. The claim that the kid was unable to sleep because of pain is flat out not true.
I have a tesla coil, which I've used in school demonstrations. I hold the coil in one hand, and with the other I hold hands with several children to form a chain. The last child holds a fluorescent lightbulb. With about five kids, the lightbulb doesn't light, unless we all raise one foot. But I preface the demonstration with a warning: Don't let go of your neighbor's hand, or both of you will get a shock, and it will hurt like hell.

When I've seen Van deGraaf generator demonstrations, the same warning is issued. As long as you are in direct contact with the electrode, you just build up a static charge, and no spark is thrown. But if you remove your hand and a spark jumps, it hurts.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
The picture shows a mark, not an injury.
The picture shows tissue damage.

quote:
If he were to have taken them outside and one of them got a sunburn, that's significant tissue damage. It also heals.
It also causes skin cancer, and it also hurts. If he performed an "experiment" in which he subjected a kids skin to sunlight long enough to get a sunburn, that's still inflicting an intentional injury.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is also just a line a teacher should not cross! (so to speak...)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about you when I saw where this article was talking about Adfectio. I knew MVNU was in Ohio.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

yeah. I haven't been on Hatrack a lot recently, but the gf mentioned that this article was on here so I had to come say something.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
The picture shows a mark, not an injury.
The picture shows tissue damage.

quote:
It also causes skin cancer, and it also hurts. If he performed an "experiment" in which he subjected a kids skin to sunlight long enough to get a sunburn, that's still inflicting an intentional injury.

That is exactly what I was thinking-- "Doesn't any burn inflict damage that can increase the risk of skin cancer, and if it left the mark, didn't it damage cells, whether it hurt or not?"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
" With the exception of the cross-burning episode... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district,"

How do you even say that with a straight face?

"With the exception of the beating episode, I believe he loves his wife."

[Wall Bash]

Have you ever had siblings? [Wink]
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't talking about the branding. That IS very stupid. I am talking about the underlying assumption both in the article and in the first few posts that he is a VERY bad teacher; especially of science.

Lets put it this way, I have seen far more times a teacher was fired or not rehired because of political or personal reasons than because they are a bad teacher. Sometimes it because the faculty doesn't like them and sometimes its because the influencial members of the community don't like them. I suppose that happens in any work environement, but it is especially the case in education. It takes a very serious stupid move like this stunt to remove some teachers where others are dropped almost without reason.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Occasional, it is actually the opposite of what you are saying, at least in most public school systems these days. It is nigh on impossible to get rid of teachers, unless they are still in the probationary period, even ones who are incompetent or who blatantly break the rules. Administrators are faced with more and more roadblocks to weeding out incompetent educators. No one even dares giving a bad recommendation.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting zapped with a tesla coil hurts like HELL. Getting zapped with one long enough to leave a mark? I can't even imagine how badly that would hurt.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the difference, Elizabeth, is whether or not the teacher is tenured.

In Alabama, if you're not tenured your contract can be non-renewed because they don't like the color of your hair. And, some school systems lately seem to like the idea of non-tenured teachers - I've heard of many people non-renewed the year before they get tenure, and of course, they have to start over again if they get hired in a new district.

I know some teachers who've been teaching more than 10 years but are unable to get tenure because every time they are at the brink of being tenured, they're let go.

I don't think they're bad teachers - other districts are quick to snatch them up, but administrators seem to want the ability to let go of teachers whenever they wish.

I should note - all of these teachers who get bounced around without the chance to gain tenure are in English or Social sciences. If you're math or science or foreign language, it's easy to get tenure because there is such a shortage in those areas.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I understand that difference, and I am pretty sure I pointed it out in my post, I just didn't use the term "tenured."
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
Getting zapped with a tesla coil hurts like HELL. Getting zapped with one long enough to leave a mark? I can't even imagine how badly that would hurt.

This was not my experience.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I wasn't talking about the branding. That IS very stupid. I am talking about the underlying assumption both in the article and in the first few posts that he is a VERY bad teacher; especially of science.
Actually, if he teaches Creationism in his Science class, I'm quite comfortable in saying he is a very bad teacher. Even if a bunch of kids liked him.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Many school systems use a straight seniority system: adjusted for needed subjects/qualifications, teachers are always let go in the reverse order they were hired (excepting cause, of course).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

He may be skilled as a teacher and still be a bad teacher.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.