FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » California, or "Travelling with Kids"

Author Topic: California, or "Travelling with Kids"
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm SO excited to be visiting the Royal Ketchups next month! I'll be in California from July 15-22, and we're doing all kinds of fun stuff, like visiting Disneyland, and the museum, and IKEA, and the beach, and the pool, and the park, and the thrift store and and and...

I hope we can spend a bit of time with some of the other 'Rackers in the area. Maybe an afternoon at the park, or meetup for dinner, or something. I'm open to about anything, just so long as it's a kid-friendly environment...

Yeah, I'm going, sans husband, with all four kids in tow. I'll be flying for the first time in 15 years, and it'll be with an infant, a pre-schooler, and 10- and 11-year-olds. Besides stocking the diaper bag up like crazy, and making sure all the older kids have plenty of activities and snacks, is there anything I need to know? Tricks to make it easier? Will there be any way to charge the Nintendo DS in-flight? [Big Grin]

::bounce, bounce, bounce::

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Laptop and a movie?

Oh, and hey Rivka, can we come to your house? [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh, and hey Rivka, can we come to your house? [Big Grin]

Of course. [Smile] Did we want to hit a kosher pizza place, or Chick'n Chow, or somewhere?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. I prefer Chick'n Chow to kosher pizza...

Though we're trying to do this on the cheap as much as possible. It might be cheaper to all hit the store and pick out a meal together and cook it under your supervision. The kids could play in the living room while we made something easy and chatted.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Plus, that would be EDUCATIONAL. A big plus to a couple of homeschoolers. [Big Grin] )
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, I'm working all summer (except when I'm out of town). When were you thinking of doing this?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Some weeknight. We could meet you at a store in your neighborhood? Something real fast is what I was thinking. Or if you wanted to do something on a Sunday, we'll bring drinks or something.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(We'll have a van rented for all the kidlings to fit in one vehicle, so we can meet you right as soon as you get off work.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And any day that's good for you is good for us. Nothing in our schedule is set in stone, though Jeff will have to request off the day we go to Disneyland soon 'cause we are NOT doing that without another adult.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And if that's really too much for you just say so and we'll eat pizza. We'll still bring drinks.)
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
(And if that's really too much for you just say so and we'll eat pizza. We'll still bring drinks.)

Well, let's see how I feel closer to then. The last two weeks at work were horrific, and today was just the capper. But right now, pizza sure sounds like a winner! [Wink]
Jestak
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for Jestak   Email Jestak         Edit/Delete Post 
I just drove 9+ hours with my family (wife, 11, 8, 2, and 8 month old) to Glacier Park. Some things I would reccomend are: Buy each child a disposable camera (my 2 older boys have a digital camera, and my 2 year old daughter ended up using mine most of the time, but it was a good time filler). Let them make a document of their journey, help them to take "good" pictures. Buy a child's atlas of California that has neat facts and such for the older ones. If at all possible, use a stroller for the younger ones. I have a double stroller and it is invaluable to keep the younger ones contained. No markers, or sticky drinks, they will end up where you don't want them. I guess the biggest thing, I think, is to have the same (or very similar) thing for each of the 3 older children. If they are at all like mine, the preschooler will want everything the 10 year old wants and the 10 year old will want everything the 11 year old has. Also, headphones and an MP3 player for yourself. Eventually, you will want to drown out the noise... Good luck
Posts: 36 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Then you have to remember that my older two are at the age when they want everything the same, too. And all the kids will be together all week.

Luckily, they get along, and take disappointment pretty well. [Wink]

And yeah, we'll have 2 doubles or a double and a single with us everywhere we go, no worries there. Plus we both have slings. And I have a wagon, too, a 2-seater.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We could probably do something on the 19th or 20th. Weeknights don't generally work for us with the distance.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We are totally open the 19th; the 20th we could do something in the afternoon/evening as long as it wasn't going out anywhere (just someone's house.)
rivka
Member # 4859

The 20th is a fast day for me.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We could do something during the week with you, rivka, and something separate with the Meeses, if necessary.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup. Only problem is I miss seeing the Meese, but what can you do?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. If you can't do Sat. or Sun. and those are the only days they can do... I don't see a solution to that. We'll just have to make sure to shinda some time in the next few months.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
We'll just have to make sure to shinda some time in the next few months.

Yay! [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When we do I bet I can even talk KPC into a cake from Delice...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka and Mama, e-mailed you.
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I just got to say I love how IKEA is a tourist attraction! Sorry I just found that funny!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and just a type...take gum on the flight for the kids. It helps to pop the ears on take off and landing. At least it does for me! And I know kids can get cranky over the ear popping thing. Otherwise the plugging the nose and blowing works too!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, bought gum at the store today, along with some crackery-type snacks for the plane ride(s) down. Less than a week to go! I'm so excited!

:bounce, bounce, bounce:

(sent you an email, kq)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wrote you back!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So far the schedule goes thusly:

Thursday the 17th, Santa Monica Pier (everyone but KPC)
Thursday night, Boonlings and Ketchups (minus KPC) to rivka's place, pizza
Saturday 19th, afternoon (2-ish), Meeses to Ketchup Palace ( [Wink] ) for playing in the pool and munchies
Monday the 21st, Boonlings and all Ketchups to Disneyland.

We are planning a trip to Palm Springs as well one day, but don't yet know which day. And will be at IKEA and the Glendale Galleria at some point (I have GymBucks and Boon has a cute new baby. [Big Grin] )

If anyone else wants to meet us at any point in there, now is the time to say so. [Smile]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately my trip takes me to week before Boon's trip. It'd probably be easier for you folks if you missed Tiffany and I this year.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh yeah! When are you gonna be here? This weekend?
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to go to Pie n Burger. Don't try to put Pine Burger into your GPS, you'll never find it.

I hope Boon and all the Boonlings have fun. I wanted to visit again with the ketchups and Rivka while I was in LA last month, but knew I wouldn't have the time.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ: I'll arrive at San Diego August 2nd in the evening. We should be there until the 4th or 5th. Then we drive to LA from the 5th to the 9th, and then drive back to Utah on the 10th.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh. Then your trip is after Boon's. She's coming this week. [Wink]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Right right, I just can't summon the gumption to insist that you Socaltrackers visit every single one of us that grazes your borders.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well. We were planning to shinda sometime when rivka and the Meeses can all be there anyway. We might as well see if we can do it while you're here. [Smile]

Why don't you start a thread announcing when you'll be in L.A. and asking if we'll throw you a shinda?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I did, Rivka is going to be in the holy land during that time unfortunately.

Remember?

I'm sure Boon will be way more exciting than little ol' me and the Mrs.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh yeah. Well, we Ketchups will still see you, if you have time for us in your itinerary. (We can feed you or something. And we've got a pool...)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I definitely want to see you folks, the tough thing is this time around I am will not be totally sure when I'll have a free day that week until I actually get to LA. I imagine KPC has a pretty unbending schedule no?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, if you want to come to dinner at our house that's easy. He gets home at 6:30. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Will the Moose family be there?

edit: Or rather will they be in town and is 6:00ish a good time for them?

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We are driving down to San Diego on the 8th (stopping in Palm Springs to pass one of the children on to my mother). At this time I can't tell if any of the evenings (5th-7th) would work for us. Feel free to plan without us and if we can make it we will.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I'm happy not to make firm plans. Just let me know if you want to get together; my e-mail's in my profile. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Squee!

We're getting ready to go, first to storage to grab the infant seat base, then to the rental car place to get the van and get everything installed, and then to the airport to pick them up!!!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She's here and you're not. [Razz]

(We're enjoying ourselves, if you couldn't tell. [Wink] )

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Boon is back home and now I'm missing her. [Frown]

It was so weird to look back in the car and not see 7 kids!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.