FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music Festival Season

Author Topic: Music Festival Season
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Our first real festival these days is The Taste of Amherst:

http://www.tasteofamherst.com/entertainment.html

My favorite was Ben Taylor, James and Carly's son. Sort of a mix between James Taylor, Ben Harper, and Jack Johnson.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

July 4th-6th, 2008 is Great Blue Heron in Sherman, New York:

http://www.greatblueheron.com/

Wow, great line-up if you are in the area.

[ June 26, 2008, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, DtB!

Speaking of. I can't wait for Rhythm and Roots again!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Earlybird ticket sales endJune 28th!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, this thread reminded me to go check out the Kate Wolf Festival site (I like to see the reports even if I can't go-- we're blessing Maggie this weekend) and I hadn't checked it in a while, and noticed at the bottom that Utah Phillips died! I'd known he was sick but hadn't checked any of my folky sites for a long while. [Frown] He passed May 23 but I've been so out of it I didn't know!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Mmmm, wonder if we can make the Sebastapol Celtic music fest in September... KPC should have his EA by then...)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Bonnaroo already happened.

All Points West looks to be a great festival(on the east coast, NJ).

Outside Lands also looks awesome. This one's on the west coast(San Francisco).

Radiohead is headlining both of them. The only drawback with both of them is that they're not overnight camping venues. You have to leave each night. Which sucks because not only do you have to worry about hotel accommodations but it also kills a lot of the fun of going to these kinds of festivals, imo.

The Philadelphia Folk Festival looks fun. I may go with some friends this year who have gone for the last few.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That ll Points fest looks good, except for Radiohead. Ugh. I love the Sunday line-up the best. I love Jack Johnson and Ben Harper, and they have been doing some shows together, so they will probably appear in each other's set. Then, I have wanted to see Rodrigo and Gabriela. In fact, it reminds me I need to get that cd for my son.

Keep 'em coming!

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Rodrigo y Gabriela too, I'm upset I haven't seen them live yet.

I just saw Thievery Corporation and a bunch of other bands live in Central Park yesterday. The show was fantastic.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Cornerstone is in 2 days...

[Party]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Rothbury Music Festival in Rothbury, Michigan is July 3rd - 6th. It's the first year, and I really wanted to go because Dave Matthews Band is headlining and Gomez will be there too, but it's a little out of my price range at the moment.

Hopefully next year.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Lyrhawn, you might like Donna the Buffalo, and they are playing a fest in Michigan(I know, it is a big state). Empire, Michigan? July 31-August 1.

http://www.dunegrassfestival.com/

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh by the Dunes, that's just north of where Rothbury is. I'm going on vacation in that area in a couple weeks.

I've never been to that kind of festival before, and it certainly looks cool. Plus my friends and I were thinking about going camping later in July or early August anyway. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are welcome. I just love Gandalf Murphy(Neil Diamond meets Pink Floyd), and a few of the other bands. Railroad Earth is phenomenal.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, Lyrhawn, have you done festival camping before? If a Dave Matthews fan, I am thinking yes, but if you need any tips,. let me know. It is a different sort of camping, more like a refugee camp than a Boy Scout camp!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm a Bela Fleck fan, who I see is playing at the Dune festival.

I actually haven't gotten the chance to go festival camping before. I've always wanted to go to the Gorge before, which is the big end of the year camping concert for DMB fans, but it's on the other side of the country.

If I get anyone together to go, I'll drop you an email, and I'll appreciate any and all tips.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I leave for Cornerstone tomorrow!

[Party]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Post a link!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Cornerstone

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.