FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pixar's masterpiece, WALL*E ( no real spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pixar's masterpiece, WALL*E ( no real spoilers)
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I still think the intended name of the movie has the dot. And the red circle, for that matter. And I think both the hyphen (that I was using, actually) and the asterisk that different people were using are both legitimate representations of it. It's not a real word -- no matter how anyone spells it -- neh?

Psh. You're just as bad as the people who insisted that Prince had changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol. What are you, some sort of linguistic anarchist? [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he had. Which made him "the artist formerly known as Prince". And that worked until he got sick of that, and went back to Prince.

Which of course made him "the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince". [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
What are you, some sort of linguistic anarchist? [Razz]

Cool! Ok. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head sadly*
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that movie...
It was so sweet and it made my eyes get wet, which is embarassing.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, he had. Which made him "the artist formerly known as Prince". And that worked until he got sick of that, and went back to Prince.
Prince was not allowed to use the name Prince due to a contract dispute. Once the contract expired, he was allowed to use the name again. The symbol was his response to not being allowed to use his own name. (Which really is Prince)
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except the former does not violate basic laws of physics and the second does.

Sentient, loving machines are accepted as a scientific fact now?

I think I missed a discovery or two. [Smile]

To make sure I'm not misunderstanding you: you believe fiction shouldn't have to have elements that are totally fantastical? I disagree, I guess. It's not like WALL*E is portraying itself as a non-fiction documentary.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

To Shanna:

-If Wall*E had so many spare parts, why didn't he repair a friend or two for himself?

We don't know at what point WALL*E became self-aware, but it was probably too late for the others. Heck, we don't know that the others were fixable.

-The Axiom was "the jewel of the fleet" and video towards the beginning shows the launching of multiple space-crafts. So what happened to the rest of them?

Presumably, they're still off in space. Also presumably, the Axiom can send them a message via the probe ship, or some such.

-I really love the song when Wall*E and EVE are "dancing" in space. Anyone know what its called on the soundtrack? I need to head over to Amazon and listen to the clips and see if any sound familiar.

It's called "Define Dancing" on the soundtrack. It's a slightly reworked version of EVE's theme music.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

And I'm surprised that conservatives aren't railing about the "stay the course" line.

People said "stay the course" decades before Bush did. I'm sure people will still be using it in the future.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:

Not violating basic laws of physics != accepted as a scientific fact
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
Prince was not allowed to use the name Prince due to a contract dispute. Once the contract expired, he was allowed to use the name again. The symbol was his response to not being allowed to use his own name. (Which really is Prince)
I knew that, come to think of it. But I had forgotten (and I like my version better anyway [Wink] ).

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
quote:

Not violating basic laws of physics != accepted as a scientific fact
Precisely. Thanks, Porter. [Smile]

quote:
To make sure I'm not misunderstanding you: you believe fiction shouldn't have to have elements that are totally fantastical?

Not at all. But when they do, it should be for good cause, not out of laziness. For example, I have no objection to the whole "WALL-E grabs a handful of stardust" scene, even though it makes absolutely no sense scientifically. It was wonderful, and no scientifically-plausible scene would have had nearly the same effect.

The conservation of matter & energy thing is just laziness. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.