FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am settled!!

Author Topic: I am settled!!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well Thursday I finally made the move to my new place, I had an entire pickup truck filled, with 1 or 2 bits of furniture rest was either books or clothes, mostly books. And some clothes.

We got alot of free furniture, like a fridge, a chest freezer. JonHecht came by and helped us unpack everything which was very nice of him my roomate and his mom were amazed and thought I stumbled on some hidden sly and clever way of getting people to come from around the world JUST to help me unpack :rollseye: [Smile] Jon believes it when I say that if anything good happens it is purely coincidental.

The funny thing is when Holden and Jon were talking and I was wondering allowed at something scientific Holden was like "I really don't want to get into anything intelligent sounding with Blayne it ether goes into one of three things: China, Communism, or pointless nothings" and Jon blurted "Its not just online too!? [Eek!] "

Brief conversation of Utilitarianism, brief conversation with Holden and his brother and jon about the origin of life and when explained Holden's brother stated "That's impossible I don't believe it!" Such a brick that one.

Then I spent a day or two cleaning up my room and unpacking and reorganizing with a friend of mine cracking the whip Jon left later in the first day's afternoon. He came over to play D&D but ended up helping us poor guy, yo Jon if you read this I hope your okay and enjoying Canada and its high per capita of attractive women.

Anyways; room is clean now, I just need to await my desk and I can move my computer there. I just did the dishes and now I have laundry to do.

Oy! And Kwea you owe me 5$ I won ze bet [Smile]

Once I find a working camera I shall bring ye all pictures.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, but dude, you definitely had more important things to do yesterday. Are you aware that in your absence AI Byz DOWed Georgia while Georgia was dealing with a major-ish civil war? The balance of power is upset across the entire Mediterranean, and you faff around moving out from under your tyrannically unreasonable parents and stuff!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in the new digs.

Pick up truck and friends helping you with the move? Definitely a good way to settle for less.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you told us you did the dishes but left out the most important info of all: what did you eat?

Congratulations for getting out on your own! Glad you had friends to come help--I think it's nice of Jon to travel just to help w/ your move too! [Wink]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I had some burgers and sausages, we had a little barbeque.

Speaking of which, time to invite friends over for a putluck.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the new pad!

Just watch out for the Borrowers. They tend to take things. [Razz]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
[Cool]

QFT
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

:mutter mutter:

well my roommate invited some friends over and left me alone here to watch the fort while they get to go to a bar a probably meet some pretty girls.

[Frown]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Why does that make you sad? Did they say they didn't want you coming?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm sad for not being able to go see pretty girls, they of course probably wouldn't mind me coming but someone needs to watch the fort.
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no lock on the door?
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

There is but were on the first floor so we have glass sliding pateo doors which while they do lock and don't move it seems like a "break in and rob me" sign. Also bad is that my 1500$ computer is somewhat in the open as I don't have a computer desk yet.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

So you're going to never leave your house empty?

Put a broomstick in the sliding door track, throw a blanket over the computer, and go get a beer.

Oh, and get renter's insurance.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. I always had a broomstick in my sliding doors, even when I lived on the fourth floor.

Congrats on the settling in, Blayne. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoorah for your new place. I hope your mates invited the pretty grils back to party, or at least brought you a beer...

Have fun!

*revels in memories of his first houseshare*

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
So you're going to never leave your house empty?

Put a broomstick in the sliding door track, throw a blanket over the computer, and go get a beer.

Oh, and get renter's insurance.

I agree with the broomstick and blanket plan; it isn't feasible to always have someone at home. The renter's insurance is an absolute must; if somebody does break in, you don't want to be stuck without a computer.

I don't know that I'd recommend going down and getting a beer, though. When I was a freshman in college, I had a room mate who assumed that living with me meant that he now had somebody to hang out with all the time. If I was going to grab a pizza, he'd invite himself along. If I was going to the grocery store, he'd ask if he could come too. If I was going to an arcade to play video games, he was right there. If I was going to a friends house, same thing. If I had a friend over and we were hanging out in my room, he'd come right in. It drove me insane, and lead to my hurting his feelings by telling him in no uncertain terms that he wasn't my best friend, and that I didn't want to hang out with him (I didn't have the social skills then to know how to do this in a less hurtful way).

Even if you and your roommate were friends prior to moving in together, it's important to be careful not to smother each other.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Noemon makes a good point about smothering. I was assuming this wasn't an issue in this particular case, but it is definitely something to watch out for.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The important thing is to pick up on social cues. I have a hard time with this myself - but in my case I tend toward assuming people DON'T want me around. I've had a couple of memorable exceptions where when I replayed the scene in my head later, I was obviously overstaying my welcome - those are painful to remember.

I'd follow this with some advice for Blayne on what kind of cues to look for when deciding whether to invite himself along, but I'd be making stuff up. I think there's this thing called "body language" that might be important.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
That was not a fun day. I have bruises all over my legs. [Frown]
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Blayne. [Smile]

And listen to Dags!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.