FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anyone know London neighborhoods?

Author Topic: Does anyone know London neighborhoods?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a hotel for one night in London in August, and they keep asking what neighborhood I want. I am not sure, and I'm willing to travel a little, but I don't know what is close.

The last thing of that night is at this location: http://www.the-mousetrap.co.uk/mousetrap_location.html, so it would be nice to the hotel near there. Of the following neighborhoods, can anyone tell which are close to the above address?

Bloomsbury
Kensington
The City - Financial ...
Mayfair - Soho
Westminster
South Bank
Notting Hill - Bayswa...
Regents Park - Baker ...
Ealing - Hammersmith ...
Docklands

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Mayfair-Soho is your best bet, at least according to the map.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayfair/Soho is probably best but you could also try Bloomsbury and Westminster. When you find a hotel you can look at it on a map to work out how close it is. You may find that hotels in Mayfair in particular are quite expensive - it depends what you are looking for.

Let me know when you are in London and free to meet - I might be around and would love to meet you.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Done - I have a room in Westminster. Thank you!

Amira, Kama and I are going to be in London on Saturday, August 23, and the next Sunday morning, and as far as I know have no firm plans right now for what we want to do. Could you meet us that day? That would be so awesome!!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm finding at the moment, the tube makes a lot of things close that you might not think of. For instance, I go from a place right near Victoria Station to the UCL buildings a bit north of that address in about fifteen or twenty minutes, most of that walking time.

Looking at the tube map, if you had a hotel right near Elephant & Castle, you'd be able to get there quite quickly.

Actually, a hotel near Victoria Station might work. The one I'm staying in (really a small conglomerate of sorts) is small and dingy, but not absolutely atrocious, and extremely cheap (my research group tries to pinch pennies). One big downside is the shared bathrooms, but it is basically right around the corner from Victoria Station. There are probably other, slightly better hotels in the area.

amira: I'm in London myself a week and half or so more, if you're interesting in meeting at some point.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

And I was too late, heh. That'll teach me to be interrupted when writing posts.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

This is the extra night that I'm staying at because I'm arriving Wednesday morning, not Thursday morning like I thought. I figure that for one night, I can stay in some place nice. [Smile] It's a boutique hotel in Westminster, and I think it will be fun to do once.

I did this when I went to Nauvoo, too - stayed in a bed and breakfast that would have been bad for more than one night, but for one night, I wanted to stay in a Victorian haven complete with homemade peach ice cream for breakfast. It was so much fun.

I got it from hotwire, where you pick the price and the neighborhood and then they tell you where you are staying. My friend Catherine does it all the time and she loves it, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, hotwire will be a good place to remember for future work trips.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Amira, it would be great to meet you if you're around the Saturday [Smile]

(also Lissa and anyone else in London)

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I adamantly recommend Kensington. I lived there for a few months in 05', and LOVED it. The area is fantastic. There is close walking access to the major museums like the Natural History Museum, the Victoria Albert, and the Science Museum, which is one of the largest in the world.

There are also fantastic Indian restaurants in the area, Hyde Park is just a few blocks north, and quick tube access to the rest of zone one, as Kensington is quite central. Herod's is one tube stop away, or in easy walking distance on King's Road, which is very nice for walking.

Don't stay in the Docklands, or the City of London, Westminster is in Zone 2, and a bit from from things, but has some beautiful neighborhoods and lots of French and Americans. If you want to see a play, stay on the South Bank to be close and if you are interested in street markets and shopping at lower prices, then Soho is the place to go. Between Kensington and Soho, the feel is quite different, but they're both great places to go, with lots to do.

Edit: In regards to what Fugu said, the tube does make things accessible easily from anywhere, as long as the tube stop is close to the destination. Be aware though, that if you are walking between stops or judging the geography according to the tube, the tube map bears only a passing resemblance to the reality. The tube map makes things look close when they aren't, and far when they aren't, and represents the lines as if they are symmetrical when they aren't.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*nods* I'm actually collaborating at a research group this very week that has put a version of the tube map aligned with real London geography online [Smile]

You can find it at this site: http://www.maptube.org/

anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
And I was too late, heh. That'll teach me to be interrupted when writing posts.

Just as well, I wouldn't recommend Elephant and Castle to an unwary traveller. NOt exactly the most salubrious area.

Kensington is good - if you have time, and hanker after yet more History (with a capital H) try the Windsor Castle Pub:

Windor Castle - Real Ale and Good Food

I can heartily recommend it (unles you're over 6' tall... [Wink] )

_edit_

But of course you're in Westminster. Try this place instead - it's a good pub in the Parliament area. Good beer: The Westminster Arms

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Beer not applicable, but do they serve bread pudding? I was told by some English gentlemen I ran into here in D.C. that I needed to have bread pudding from a pub while I was over there. Apparently it is divine.
Kama
Member # 3022

and sticky toffee pudding and fish and chips. *nod*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes! All of that. Any good sources of the above in Westminster?
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate!

Ooooooo, a trip to London sounds so fun for you! Woot! Yup, it's Antnie. (Shhhhhh, I have lurked here for years, and posted a few times in recent week or so.)

I shall call you in next day or two by 4th. Busy daytimes atm. I planned to post in Tom's thread, but then I saw you started this one about traveling to London, and it seemed more personal here.

So, what is in London? Business or pleasure? (Slightly jealous [Wink] ) Think you can squish me into your luggage?

I am not sure I have the right cell number, Kate, for your "old" cell? Last time I called was near your birthday. Did you receive that message? I recall you had an older number but I thought that one was discarded.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Beer not applicable, but do they serve bread pudding? I was told by some English gentlemen I ran into here in D.C. that I needed to have bread pudding from a pub while I was over there. Apparently it is divine.

???? Never heard of bread pudding in a pub. Are you sure they weren't pulling your leg?

Bread pudding is something my Mum makes for having with tea.

I wish I still lived in London, as I could have taken you on a tour.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I was talking to a friend last night and he also said bread pudding would be home-made rather than pub food.

you need to come to Scotland one time and I'll make John's mum make it for you [Wink]

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you lucky lucky person! I am so envious! I miss London...

P.S. Are you going to the South Bank at all? The South Bank is my very most favorite bit of the world, and there is a Foyle's and a great big bunch of used book tables.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, August 23 is a definite possibility. Send me an email and I'll send you my mobile phone number.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I heartily recommend the Victoria and Albert Museum. The Natural History Museum was cool, but the Victoria and Albert Museum was awesome. It is extremely easy to reach from westminster; just hop on the Circle or District lines going west from Victoria Station and get off a couple stops away at the South Kensington Station. There is an underground walkway that goes right up to the triumvirate of museums (Natural History, Science, and Victoria and Albert).
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
And there is a cookie shop at the South Kensington station that is awesome. They serve big cookies and hot chocolate to go.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, awesome!!

amira, e-mail sent. Yay!

Kama and amira, we should decide what we want to do that day. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.