FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA: Suspicious emails requesting info sent to hatrackofficial@live.com

Author Topic: PSA: Suspicious emails requesting info sent to hatrackofficial@live.com
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I await confirmation from the purported sender of the email (who I believe is probably not really), but to all the rest of you who probably got similar emails, I have never known this person to use the email address above, and consider it highly unlikely.

As for requesting my password . . .

O_o

Nice try. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one too, i don't even undersand what they would do with my hatrack info. i can't think of anything to do with it.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a similar email, which claimed to be from Papa Janitor, asking me to email my email and password to them.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I just got a similar email, which claimed to be from Papa Janitor, asking me to email my email and password to them.

That's the one.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
I got one too, i don't even undersand what they would do with my hatrack info. i can't think of anything to do with it.

Spreading spam with a known legitimate account.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one also. I rather like the part where they specifically request that you don't mention the supposed special powers you will receive.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pop confirms that they are NOT from him.
Xann.
Member # 11482

I hope i get lazer vision.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw I feel left out. I didn't get one. [Frown]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not send any such e-mails. Thank you, rivka, for posting this thread. It's not like we're a bank here or anything, but I will never (Lord willin' and the creek don't rise) ask you for your password. And if I'm acting as Papa Janitor, I'll use the Papa Janitor public e-mail address.

--The real PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Spreading spam with a known legitimate account.

I wouldn't call me that. I have like 100 posts....

Also i hope i get lazer vision for m special power.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Want mine?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
The real PJ
How do we know that the scammer didn't steal your password and this is HIM posting in an attempt to earn our confidence that the real PJ is in fact posting?

I mean hey, the guy could be a diabolical mastermind.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

On second thought, you can't have mine.

You is nuts. [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Whoops, accidentally deleted the post.

Insert this post in between rivka's:

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Want mine?
Pfft. I don't want your pity spam!

Edit to add: And now you seem to have deleted yours as well.

Or I'm going completely crazy...

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

me neither

[Grumble]

Edit to add: yes, you are going completely crazy.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Or I'm going completely crazy...

*nods knowingly*
Xann.
Member # 11482

What is the papajaintor public email adress, because i thought it came from you, that given it is 2 in the morning and i probably can't even read right now.

*edited to say i am still hoping for lazer vision*

rivka
Member # 4859

What appeared to be the incoming address on the email is Pop's public PJ address; it's that the email wanted us to send info to this other email address that was the problem. Well, that and what it requested to have sent.
Xann.
Member # 11482

Still, i was hoping for some awesmoe forum power, i could have leveled to become

{X}A[nn]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread needs dobie "Cooking phish?"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get an e-mail [Frown]

my password is "ender" [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the email I got, it came from: PapaJanitor@hatrack.com

quote:
Hey there, as a frequent poster in hatrack we would l like to give you a couple executive abilities there. I will send you a list of the after it is completed, but first I need you to send me the email and password on the account to verify.
Send it here so my email doesn’t get clogged. But also don’t mention this around we don’t need anyone getting upset at not being chosen. Hope to see you soon,
PJ

Immediately set off my spam alert. Executive abilities? Really? Also the screwed up ' characters.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
That is one hilariously pitiful attempt at spam! Do the guys who do this kind of thing really think they'll find such unintelligence at Hatrack?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

*quietly waits for someone to shamefacedly admit that they did, in fact, send in their password*
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
That is one hilariously pitiful attempt at spam! Do the guys who do this kind of thing really think they'll find such unintelligence at Hatrack?

Look, I was in a hurry when I composed that! No making fun!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
*quietly waits for someone to shamefacedly admit that they did, in fact, send in their password*

Uhhhh! [Angst]

Just kidding. I didn't get the e-mail.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Interestingly, mine didn't have the weird characters -- I must have a different character set defaulting than Alcon does.
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm deeply offended that I didn't get an email. I know my posting numbers aren't high but I do have a very low user number and if you are going to pick people for executive powers you really should play fair and pick people who have been here longer [Razz]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But your email address isn't publicly visible!
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Who knew PJ had such poor grammar skills?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I especially liked the bit about not mentioning it around so people wouldn't get jealous, very discrete [Wink]
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww I thought I was special, I was waiting for somone else to post this thread, boy would I look stupid if it really was real.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one too, and I totally fell for it, despite the bad grammar.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
But your email address isn't publicly visible!

[Evil]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Culprit (method used only -- I'm not singling out a person). I guess it works.

I'm assuming this was mischievous rather than malicious, and probably "masterminded" by someone here (and please don't do it again, thanks). But anyone who sent their password should probably change it.

--PJ (or is it?)

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in hatrack we would l like to give you
Heh!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, if you want my password, you'll have to visit me. I'll only tell you in person.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I can fix this problem for all of you so that it doesn't happen again. All I need is your full name and address, Social Security number and...

What? Why are you looking at me like that? You can trust me, Honest! Look at my post count!!!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.