FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » hey I can see my house from here!

Author Topic: hey I can see my house from here!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://maps.google.com/

[Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, i think were neighbors.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Hmm, it would appear theres no easy way to link google earth searches.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
ahh... so were not neighbors?
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
My house is on street view. [Taunt]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
My house has been cunningly obsured by a well placed cloud. Google has been well paid to hide my mountain lair.

[Cool]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I can estimate roughly where my building is on the picture, but there's too many trees to actually see it. Hooray trees!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you check out the upper-right corner of the map, you'll see "Link to this page". Click that, then copy the stuff in the first text box. That's a link to exactly what you're seeing.

For instance, the building I live in.

For that matter, here's the building I'm in right now.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, that's a pretty awesome building you're in.

Here's where I am. :-)

[ July 08, 2008, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My office is right here.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, there is a tree in the front of my Building . But, if you move out, you will see that it is about 70 miles to the next one!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My house.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
If you check out the upper-right corner of the map, you'll see "Link to this page". Click that, then copy the stuff in the first text box. That's a link to exactly what you're seeing.

For instance, the building I live in.

For that matter, here's the building I'm in right now.

Targeting...targeting...we have a lock.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I like to study. It's a surprisingly nice place to go read.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
My house.

And that doesn't creep you out at all?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! I'm creeped out. Those shrubberies need pruning.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, the satellite picture on Yahoo Maps has better resolution for most of northern WI than does Google.

I would have expected otherwise, especially with Google's new street view thing. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I wonder who will be living here next?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
http://picasaweb.google.com/mucous/Huangshan/photo#map

My latest walk through mountains

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Fugu, that's a pretty awesome building you're in.

Here's why I am. :-)

I'm a bit envious that you have such a concrete purpose.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes I know. Not many can be as lucky as me. [Wink]

(Funny thing is, it could be construed to make sense if I was a die-hard FSU football fan. But alas, I'm not. I just work in the same building.)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mucous/Huangshan/photo#map

My latest walk through mountains

Umm ... I'm not sure how exactly to express how ridiculously envious I am of you.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, the really interesting thing is to move away from the United States, and start looking at the way the world is.

For example. Compare Japan to Iraq.

For Japan, look at how massive the Tokyo area is, for example. Looking across the entire country, you get a feeling for it you can never get any other way.

Japan has hugely concentrated areas, I mean, stupidly massive concentrations of people. And then, in between those huge blotches of gray are huge swaths of green! Tons of it!

I've heard Japan has a huge amount of it's land forested and so forth, but I didn't really grok it until I saw it for myself here.

As for Iraq, you see just how... deserty the place is. And how different the situation is. That is, a vastly different environment, and even the cities are different.

You can see these differences, and zoom in and see individual buildings, even!

It also gives you a feeling of size. The size of countries, and the size of the planet. But also, just how much is here. How many people, how many cities. This place is massive beyond almost all imagination.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Where I like to study. It's a surprisingly nice place to go read.

My step-mum had a little shop on Gillygate so I read there often! Another great place.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, orlox, it really is! As long as it's sunny, though. Actually, my academic building is in that picture, too, so I read a lot there.

I really love how you can see the layout of the abbey ruins. How gorgeous!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

On an other note I just returned home from a friends place and I am happy to note nothing bad happened.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're sharing, I'm a little more rural than some of you.

No street view, go figure. [Dont Know]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Right abouuut...there

BTW, if you just zoom and move the map and don't start fresh, it retains the page title from the saved URL that you started out with. So Pegasus's link currently is titled "Florida State University".

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Right abouuut...there

BTW, if you just zoom and move the map and don't start fresh, it retains the page title from the saved URL that you started out with. So Pegasus's link currently is titled "Florida State University".

Yeah, I always figured Florida State was a bigger school.

Scifibum, what is that on your map, crop circles?

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Right abouuut...there

Laziness strikes again! [Taunt]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Tante, I guess they are, in a literal sense. My understanding is that the irrigation is performed automatically by a large pipe held up off the ground on wheels, and it moves around in a circle (not sure whether it's an internal combustion engine driving the wheels or if the water flow moves the machinery). It's anchored at the center point, so the irrigated green portion of the field ends up circular.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.