FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Want some torture with your peanuts?

Author Topic: Want some torture with your peanuts?
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Worse than a dog collar...

Just remember, if you aren't breaking the rules you have nothing to fear [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this has bothered me since I found out about it March 25th. [Razz]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

You can't honestly expect me to use the search function!
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Just wanted my a-head-of-the-curve bragging rights!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't fly with one of those.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well who'd have thunk it? Someone invented the absolute best way to kill the airline industry. I thought high gas prices would maim them, but then this little guy come along to put them out of their misery.

I bet rail lobbyists are pushing for it. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was mad about the story in the paper yesterday where the screeners are searching and seizing laptops, cell phones, etc in total violation of the 4th Amendment. Though I suppose if they're not exactly government employees it doesn't count.

At some point, the consumer is going to have to step in and complain. I haven't flown in two or three years (whenever the guys tried to bring gel explosives on one and made my trip home a nightmare) and have no intention to do so soon. I'd rather take a vacation somewhere nearby than deal with that.

If vacationers won't go and business travelers start video conferencing instead to save money, who's left to appeal to?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not April 1, right? Someone in the government is actually contemplating a way to make air travel more expensive and less pleasant in the name of an illusion of increased security? And begging for a lawsuit the first time the stupid thing malfunctions?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Someone in the government is actually contemplating a way to make air travel more expensive and less pleasant in the name of an illusion of increased security?
I am actually not so worried about the airline industry. I can't imagine the outcry being anything short of so deafening it will not fly--no pun intended.

The fact the the the Department of Homeland Security is interested in it makes me more worried about their use in the KBR holding facilities / FEMA camps that could be used on mass scale immigration round ups or disaster relief centers.

Katrina Scenario: Welcome to the Superdome. Please put this on, and remember no fighting.

I bet it won't be too long before they are used on the most violent criminals in the worst federal prisons. Incrementally it will creep upon us.

Threads
Member # 10863

The internment camps are especially disturbing because they have such a large capacity. IIRC we have or will have enough camps to hold over a million citizens.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And within three weeks the criminals, terrorists, and people that need subduing will know how to use a piece of chewing gum to short circuit the thing, turning it either into ugly harmless jewelry, or a weapon to zap others.

Those of us not prepared, who haven't googled a way around it, and think we are innocent will be the ones painfully zapped.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if it's good enough for mentally disabled children, it's good enough for violent criminals, terrorists, and airline passengers!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the article and then read some of the comments. One of the comments is from someone who claims to be a representative of Homeland Security's Science and Technology Directorate. Here is his/her comments:

======================

By: S&Tspokesman
Shocking, but False

Sometimes it just amazes me how these stories evolve. Let me start off by saying that the Department of Homeland Security’s Science & Technology Directorate nor TSA have been pursuing shock bracelets for airline passengers as alleged by the Washington Times Blog.

This allegation stemmed from a misleading video posted on the Lamberd Website which depicts an ID bracelet that would contain identifying information as well as the ability to stun the wearer. The company claims to connect use of such a device to DHS and TSA, but no discussions between these agencies has ever taken place.

This all originated from a meeting held two years ago with a private company representative (not Lamberd) who proposed bracelet technology in response to the TSA's desire to find less-than-lethal means to detain an apprehended suspect.

The bracelet was never intended to replace boarding passes, contain ID information or be worn by all passengers as asserted in the Lamberd video and discussed in the Washington Times Blog.

The hypothetical use of the bracelet would have been for transporting already apprehended prisoners and detainees at prisons and border patrol facilities, and DHS was looking to see if there were potential air travel applications for apprehended suspects.

This concept was never funded or supported by the DHS or TSA and hasn’t even been discussed for two years. The letter circulating throughout the blogosphere from Paul Ruwaldt was not addressed to Lamberd and merely states the DHS was interested in learning more about the technology. Neither side followed up.

DHS/TSA does NOT support the asserted use and has not pursued the development of such technology.
================

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

It would appear from the company's website that there was letter from Ruwaldt on April 2006 (page 2) that must have been followed up with a meeting on July 2006, because the second letter ( page 2) was a follow up to a July Meeting.

But yeah, it seems after that second letter there was/is no indication of further development, which makes me feel a little better. I have little faith in transparency with that department.

I never really thought it would be used on airlines. I do think it is believable it will be used with ICE and maybe inmates.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually in the prison system such a bracelet could be very useful, and would prevent alot of injury. Though I'd start using it with the most violent prisoners on a trial basis. Also I think prison guards who want to use them should be inflicted with the same electricity an inmate would feel.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got no problem with "aggressive interrogation" but making every airline passenger wear one of these just in case is too much.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Actually in the prison system such a bracelet could be very useful, and would prevent alot of injury. Though I'd start using it with the most violent prisoners on a trial basis. Also I think prison guards who want to use them should be inflicted with the same electricity an inmate would feel.

No, no, no... In the prison system it's supposed to blow your head off if you get out of range. Don't you watch movies?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Omega, hopefully if you're ever tortured the torturer will be sufficiently solicitous to use air quotes before getting busy.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

No, no, no... In the prison system it's supposed to blow your head off if you get out of range. Don't you watch movies?
I would never admit to having seen Episode I under any circumstance even if I were to be strapped with one of these bracelets.

But I suppose that concept is found in other movies as well, I can't recall right now which ones.

Why not instead make it so that if an inmate walks out of range his entire family and anyone he cares about blows up instead.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I suppose that concept is found in other movies as well, I can't recall right now which ones.
Right off the bat I can think of at least three movies that had such a thing.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a better idea, we put one of these braclets on each member of Congress so that the people they are working for (us) can keep track of them all the time. Further, every time they make a idiot statement or try to screw the public at large, WE get to shock THEM.

Doesn't that sound like a much better idea???

* Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

* Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I think being randomly Tazered at the whime of some second rate government hack, constitute 'cruel and unusual'.

Further, how about putting these on each of the airline personnel so that when they lose our bags we can collectively Tazer them all. How many bags would be lost, if that was our prerogative?

It's a crazy world and getting crazier every day.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.