FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A culture so exotic, National Geographic just had to do a documentary

Author Topic: A culture so exotic, National Geographic just had to do a documentary
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty old, but I just saw it, and I thought it was hilarious:

Wow, that is so exotic

Favorite part: "KILLER OF KOREANS!!"

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I love comments on youtube they are so insightful and eloquent

edit: I wish I had any clue how that last game was won by the protoss player. I mean last I checked, dragoons vs. st did not work so well.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
numbers.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the commentary
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
People who look like they're typing and speed-reading while they're playing a RTS scare me.

(Then again, I've never seen footage of myself while playing an RTS. Maybe I'd scare myself.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
People who look like they're typing and speed-reading while they're playing a RTS scare me.

(Then again, I've never seen footage of myself while playing an RTS. Maybe I'd scare myself.)

It's true. I'm glad I've never seen footage of me playing video games, especially when I get mad. Still working on investing in some dignity for that department.

I didn't really find the game announcers to be all that helpful in describing the action. But then again maybe it was just the way the said things that rubbed me the wrong way. But then again National Geographic probably just cut to the emotionally heavy moments.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAskIndiana
Member # 9268

- posted      Profile for JustAskIndiana           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've mentioned this before, but in South Korea, Starcraft has become a very very competitive sport with salaries comparable to wealthy doctors in the U.S. The thing most people don't know is how deep this game is. There is simply no game out there that matches it in terms of complexity and competition. If you're rolling your eyes right now thinking "ZERG RUSH" or that "this unit counters this other unit" or "mass carriers FTW" then you clearly have not experienced the art of this game.

If anybody wants to play, or just find out more about how this game which came out in 1998 can still be challenging, I'd be glad to explain or play.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I'd call Starcraft lots of things, but deep isn't actually one of them. The thing about Starcraft is that it's optimizable. There is a sufficiently low random element in the game that a focus on numerical efficiency essentially produces a win. Watching any Starcraft game at the pro level reveals that there's very little tactics happening at any time; it's all strategic production decisions.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAskIndiana
Member # 9268

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Hm. I'd call Starcraft lots of things, but deep isn't actually one of them. The thing about Starcraft is that it's optimizable. There is a sufficiently low random element in the game that a focus on numerical efficiency essentially produces a win. Watching any Starcraft game at the pro level reveals that there's very little tactics happening at any time; it's all strategic production decisions.

You're absolutely wrong. The type of style you're talking about is macro and timing-oriented and it's just as viable as a micro and tactics oriented style. Tank drops, vulture sneaks, mutalisk harass, positioning and flanking are all examples of ways to play an efficient micro-oriented game. (which, by the way, is why starcraft 2 is looking disastrous at the moment--because auto-mining and multiple building selection have largely taken out the dichotomy of micro and macro.)

Perhaps you can explain more about how you would "optimize" a certain matchup?

Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The type of style you're talking about is macro and timing-oriented and it's just as viable as a micro and tactics oriented style.
I don't quite understand how you're making the "micro" argument. Most pro players I know of play the game so fast that actual micro play is essentially impossible. Can you think of a competitive pro player who plays micro games at the speeds usually used in tournament play?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAskIndiana
Member # 9268

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
The type of style you're talking about is macro and timing-oriented and it's just as viable as a micro and tactics oriented style.
I don't quite understand how you're making the "micro" argument. Most pro players I know of play the game so fast that actual micro play is essentially impossible. Can you think of a competitive pro player who plays micro games at the speeds usually used in tournament play?
Julyzerg, Boxer, Nal_ra, Yellow all use low economic styles. They play the game so fast, yes, but they control their units and manage economy at the same time. However, you do not need to have some godlike speed to be good at starcraft. Decision-making trumps speed tenfold. But to illustrate a game, this is an excerpt of a video of Julyzerg vs some terran pro: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJVait72LOU

Here's the what's going on strategically: the Zerg player wants to expand and control the map in order to secure the economic advantage he needs to match the terran player in midgame. But the terran can roam the map, taking out his expansions so what the zerg does is get a group of mutalisks and threaten the terran's main. Here, Julyzerg takes out numerous scvs and marines, but that's just a bonus; the real goal is to keep the terran from moving out and threatening zerg expansions. Note the hit-and-run method the mutalisks use, as well as targeting any part of the base that's not well defended. Then, just as the terran is able to cope with the mutalisks, a lurker containment is set up outside the terran expansion.

Now, the terran has a problem and it's not the lurkers: the problem is that the zerg is taking the map, which will inevitably lead to a victory, so the terran has to time a push out and target a zerg expansion. As he comes out, the lurker containment will fallback. As the terran gets farther and farther along, the zerg places units to the side and even behind the terran, until the crucial moment when the zerg flanks the terran from behind and attacks with his lurkers from the front.

[ July 13, 2008, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: JustAskIndiana ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched enough of the pro tournaments to see some really insane micromanagement of units.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.