FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Small Questions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Small Questions
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recomend a free online game that doesn't require downloads? I enjoyed the galactic trading game, physics game and HHGTTG game that were posted here and thought someone might have a suggestion.

Thanks.

Edit: Has anyone played Tribal Wars? Is it worth 5 bucks a month?

[ August 20, 2008, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Kingdom of Loathing?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about it. Thanks. Now I have to play Tribal Wars for a month though. FYI, maybe not worth the 5 bucks.

EditL Gah! Forgot my KoL login.

[ August 20, 2008, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I just found a poster named Rivka in the Tribal Wars forum. Is i the same rivka?

[ August 20, 2008, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any Hebrew speakers willing to help me look up an email of a prof at Ben Gurion university? The English version of the website doesn't seem to extend that far.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

In economics, referring to monetary policy and affecting money supply, what do the terms "PR", "DR", and "Sell/Buy" refer to? As in, to increase money supply, you decrease PR and DR, and Sell. But what does that mean?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Those aren't standard terminology for anything I'm familiar with. They might be references to some of the terms in basic equations governing money, which you can find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantity_theory_of_money
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Thanks for the response. The link is way beyond my economics prowess at this point. I think this may be a case of my professor making up abbreviations that have no obvious connection with anything in the text book or online. Yay.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Did the professor write any equations using those terms?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I don't know how to do the symbols here, but i was given:

(lower)PR, (lower)DR, Buy => (raise)MS => (lower)r* => (raise)I => (raise)GDP => (raise)AD

This is given as the monetary policy solution to fixing a recessionary gap.

fugu13
Member # 2859

r* might be the real interest rate, increasing which would raise the Investment rate I. I'm not sure what the AD after GDP would be. MS is obviously money supply, and I'm now guessing that PR is Prime Rate, DR is Discount Rate, and Buy might refer to how much the Fed is buying with open market operations (which would be how the Fed raises the Discount Rate, which would be what raises the Prime Rate, so the litany of all three is redundant).

I'm assuming this is just an example of a toy policy, not him on a tear about how he thinks things should be approached.

vonk
Member # 9027

Your assumption is correct. And Prime Rate and Discount Rate are what I am looking for! It's not covered in the chapter we are currently on, so I didn't see it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

And AD is Aggragate Demand.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Are there any Hebrew speakers willing to help me look up an email of a prof at Ben Gurion university? The English version of the website doesn't seem to extend that far.

Missed this! I assume that by now you've found it? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Isn't there somewhere you can watch House debates/proceedings live? I thought there was but my googlefu is failing.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN_wm.aspx

There's this.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
If my husband gets a job (so our income like triples), how long does he need to work before we can refinance our house? When we bought the house, he was working so the income thing wasn't an issue. And with student loans, we have never had a problem paying our bills.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Thanks scifibum. That's great.
vonk
Member # 9027

The financial aid department at my university is requiring a non-filer form form from the IRS because I didn't have any income last year and didn't file a tax return. I'm browing the IRS forms index with little luck. Does anyone know what this is?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a layman, here's my reply: you might just need your college's standard Declaration of Non-Filing Status Form. If they're demanding IRS proof that you filed nothing, you'll need Form 4506-T, the Request for Transcript of Tax Return, and will need to check the "Verification of Non-Filing" checkbox.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

That's the first form I've seen with a non-filing option, so I guess that's it. Thank you.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.