FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Atomic Buffalo Turds

Author Topic: Atomic Buffalo Turds
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Also known as ABTs...

I can't say that I've tried one but they look delicious in that disgusting way that some of the hot hoagies from Hoagie Haven (local hoagie store) look.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoagie Haven? The one in Princeton on Nassau St?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

Yep! I live in Princeton.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Many hoagies did I eat there in my day. Good hoagies. (And it wasn't until I left NJ that I realized that, sadly, most people do not know what a hoagie is...)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a hoagie? [Wink]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A sub that has been toasted.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Hoagie Haven? The one in Princeton on Nassau St?

We (my wife and I) used to call the proprietor the "Sandwich Nazi" after hearing him accost several customers who were too slow choosing their condiments. Once, after badgering a woman for awhile, he asked if she was going to sue him if he put Mayo on her sandwich and when she didn't respond immediately he threw his hands up and walked away in disgust. (Don't worry, he came right back).

Great cold-cut sandwiches, but I suggest avoiding the fish [Smile]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
What's a hoagie? [Wink]

A grinder, but not as good.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
From wikipedia:

quote:
In the United States, the terms "submarine" and "sub" are widespread[4], but there are also many regional names for the sandwich, especially in the northeast part of the country:

* Cosmo — North Central Pennsylvania in and around Williamsport — an oven-toasted sub.
* Grinder — Midwest, New England, Fairfield County, Connecticut. Inland Empire of Southern California. Also, a hot hoagie may be referred to as a Grinder in Western Pennsylvania. In Massachusetts, a grinder is generally considered to be a sandwich which includes sliced vegetables and shredded lettuce (if desired) and is heated in the oven after preparation, while a true submarine or sub is never toasted and generally includes chopped vegetables.

It is believed that the term "Grinder" was unknown in Southern California until the 1950s, when large numbers of east coast workers migrated to Southern California to work in the burgeoning aerospace and defense industries. Many roadside stands in the Riverside/San Bernardino Inland Empire advertise "Grinders" on their signage and menus.

* Hero — Downstate New York, North Jersey and the Eastern United States
* Hoagie — Philadelphia, South Jersey, Pittsburgh.
* Sub - Delaware, New England, New Jersey, Detroit and Baltimore **The Sub Sandwich was introduced to the Detroit area by Raymond Nemeckay, who owned Ray's Deli on East Warren on Detroit's east side
* Poor boy or Po' boy — Gulf Coast, especially around New Orleans
* Spuckie — Boston, Massachusetts (used particularly in Italian immigrant neighborhoods)
* Wedge — Prevalent in Yonkers, parts of the Bronx, and other sections of Westchester County, Rockland County, Putnam County and Dutchess County in New York. It was widely believed in Yonkers, that the term “wedge” came from a truncation of the word “sandwich” as pronounced by the wife of Frank Landy, who owned the legendary Landy’s Deli in Yonkers, New York. The deli was well-known throughout Yonkers as well as the north Bronx and neighboring cities and towns in Westchester County. It was not uncommon to see a lunch-time line of people from all different walks of life, stretching down the street, waiting to get a Landy’s wedge. The Landy’s were Italian-American immigrants and Mrs. Landy would pronounce “sandwich” as “san-wedge” with her Italian accent. Eventually the term just became “wedge” (ie. hot capicola and Provolone wedge). Rapper DMX, who grew up in Yonkers, mentions Landy’s deli and their renowned wedges in E.A.R.L.: The Autobiography of DMX:

* Zep (likely truncation of zeppelin) — New Jersey; Phoenixville, PA and Norristown, PA. It differs from a hoagie; the standard Zep contains only cooked salami and provolone as the meat and cheese filling, and has no lettuce.

* Italian — Maine, where "Italian" is used regardless of the filling, which is specified separately, as a "ham Italian", "veggie Italian" or "roast beef Italian". A regular Italian is usually a ham Italian, made up of: ham, cheese, onions, olives, green peppers, pickles, and tomatoes. Italians are made to order at most convenience stores and gas stations. A Maine "Italian" is often served on a larger version of the top-loading "New England style" hot dog bun. Amato's, a chain of stores in northern New England, claims to be the originator of the Italian sub. The term is also found in New Jersey.

Apparently subs have a whole ton of different names.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
* Hoagie — Philadelphia, South Jersey, Pittsburgh.
Also Maryland. We used to eat Hoagies when I lived in Cumberland - and they were not necessarily hot. I never heard of a Sub until I moved to Florida.

And there are still times I order a "sub" when my brain identifies that particular flavor as tasting like a hoagie.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Great cold-cut sandwiches

What? Are you on a diet? [Wink]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider po' boys, grinders, hero(e)s, and hoagies to all be different types of submarine sandwiches. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom on this one. A Po'Boy and a Hogie are completely different.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's unclear to me whether ABTs simply sit with cheese side up until done, or if you turn them during cooking. I'm going to guess the former if I ever make these, which will never happen (bacon is too precious to risk wasting it on experiments).

I thought it would have a more turd-like appearance, though. Otherwise calling them Atomic Buffalo Turds suggests some kind of affinity for poop. Preparing and eating something that looks like a turd might be equally disturbing, but it's already common - I know lots of people who eat these.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.