FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I CAN DIE HAPPY. I finally met Mr. Card in person. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I CAN DIE HAPPY. I finally met Mr. Card in person.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I met him. I MET HIM. I shook hands with him, he signed my copy of Maps in a Mirror, we took a picture together. I feel like this day had magic in it, heck I even went inside the Emerald Plaza lobby afterward just to give it the extra pixie dust. That building is my favorite one in all of San Diego, and it certainly turned out to be a treat on the inside as well.

Dear Mr. Card,
You have inspired me, you have touched me at a deeply personal, emotional and spiritual level. Because of how nervous I felt and the line of people who also wanted to talk to you, I thought that perhaps it would be more prudent for me to write this here.

I've been wanting to meet you since 2001 at 14, when I first realized that your stories and writing style had captured me. They fueled my imagination and they helped me get through the hardest times in my life when I thought that nothing mattered and I felt I was alone. Those books I read were my friends, and because of them I am the person I have become today. Your words have strengthened me mentally and emotionally. I try to be compassionate, intelligent, considerate, and imaginative. Your writing has affected the way I write, the way I feel and think about this world, and it has also made me realize that I can be more than I ever thought I could be if I only put effort into my dreams.
Thank you for making this day, quite literally, a dream come true. Because it was a panel, I was afraid that I was only going to see you from afar instead of having the joy of meeting you. I am so thankful that I got to approach and speak with you. I honestly cannot believe that it even happened. But here I have Maps in a Mirror, signed and dedicated to ME.
I don't know how to put in words how much you and your work mean to me. It's because of your characters that I could pull myself together when I needed to cope with my life. Whenever I opened a book by you and started reading, I was taken away into their distinctive worlds and left reality behind. I was in Treason, I was in Worthing, I was in Path, even in Lusitania. I was there.
I remember I cried when Ender died and after I finished reading Women of Genesis. Those have been the only times I have cried because of a book.

I've seen the pequeninos, the Unwyrm, Baba Yaga and the Hive Queen.
Perhaps they can be more real to me than reality itself.

Thank you for writing, and thank you for coming to San Diego, I made up my mind long ago that I will read anything you ever publish. I had to move the sky, the sea and a mountain to see you, but I don't mind at all. Because you made it all worth it.

-Vianey

P.S. Does this mean I'm a real Hatracker now? [Razz]

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, the bag I'm wearing was signed by Sheila, Tex, Tucker and Simmons from Red vs Blue. They were in the Con as well, right next to the Penny Arcade guys.
I got to meet them too! Again, that day was entirely worth it. WORTH IT.

[ July 28, 2008, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
No, what it means is that you have extremely low aspirations. And that I'm somewhat annoyed that I wasn't in San Diego at the time, despite being there 7/10 of the year.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Alt! Great picture. And I hope that all goes well w/ your job.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Oh, and Ender dies?!? Thanks for ruining it!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, if Mr. Card can't make a hatracker real I'm not sure anybody else could possibly do it. Congratulations on experiencing something that felt so epic to you. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You ought to touch wood after making a statement like that. And in writing, too! Sheesh. Don't they teach you kids anything in college these days?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Alt. It's nice to put a face with the name as well [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
No, what it means is that you have extremely low aspirations. And that I'm somewhat annoyed that I wasn't in San Diego at the time, despite being there 7/10 of the year.

You have absolutely no idea what he means to me and more importantly what his books pulled me through, so if you're not going to say something positive, please go to some other thread.
It sounds like you're being a troll just for the sake of it. If you think that me saying 'Ender dies' is ruining the book, then I'm not sure you would fully appreciate the book whether I had said it or not anyway.

Man, the lack of expletive here actually surprised me.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How is that comment even approaching acceptable?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, honey, I'm so glad that you got to go and have a great day.

I'm sure you deserve it.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by aragorn64:
quote:

How is that comment even approaching acceptable?
It's not.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade, the reason that he's not considered making someone real is he doesn't post that he met them, so there is no vouching for you. Oh and he's just one person, the "rule" was 2.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Blackblade, the reason that he's not considered making someone real is he doesn't post that he met them, so there is no vouching for you. Oh and he's just one person, the "rule" was 2.

Just because he's not posting doesn't mean he's not vouching for me. I've got pictures and a book signed by him to prove I met him. And besides, he's the guy who started this site and the reason we all came here in the first place, shouldn't that count towards making me 'real'?
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! Did you do anything else at ComicCon? And, unless I missed something (again) how did you make it?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just saying what the decision was back when "real" was made up. That was that they'd have to post admitting it on here.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
And besides, he's the guy who started this site and the reason we all came here in the first place, shouldn't that count towards making me 'real'?

*shrug* Nope.
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Meeting OSC was a banner day for me, too. I'm glad you decided to do it. You have the right kind of priorities, as far as I'm concerned. Jobs are important, but I think we fail ourselves when we let them rule our lives and give up the things that really matter to us for the sake of the paycheck.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Amen.
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Im new to the forum and don't post that often. What is this "real" thing. Are all of us who don't follow that rule posers or fanboys or sellouts or whatever you want to insert.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rodger, a very long time ago (in internet time--I think it was right around the turn of the millenium, though I'm sure that breyerchic or one of the people involved can provide a more accurate date), the first Hatrack get together happened. It was a picnic, I think, somewhere in California. The attendees could all vouch for one another's existence--they had concrete proof that, say, Slash the Berzerker wasn't just one of Pat's aliases or something. It was decided that the status of "real" could be conferred on any forum member who could be confirmed to have met two of the attendees of that picnic, or any two people who had been made real. Somebody who has only met one "real" forum member is often referred to as "half real".

It's one of those things that's fun, but doesn't really matter.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You for the clarification. I feel much better. I think I might like to be real someday until then I suppose I might be three of four different people posting all the time
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, I'm so ...simultaneously jealous and ecstatic for you. I'm glad this thread was on top because it made me smile real big. Vicarious pleasure sure can be sweet. And I would definitely write something similar concerning OSC, and be happy of the company it put me in [Wink] .

Oh, and I say you're real. Maybe not by the rules, but you said my eyes were hypnotizing and that you wanted them for Christmas (I looked back at the comments on the photos... that was back in 2006!), so you're real by my book. [Smile]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I apologize for my previous post, upon re-reading it you're right and it was completely unacceptable. I was under the impression at the time that it was akin to the joke made by Altariel in Blayne's thread, however that is no excuse.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Not that Alt's was necessarily acceptable either but I take everything in good grace as I keep more friends that way.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really jealous Alt. I had the opportunity to meet him when he was in the San Francisco bay area(I'm in the Sacramento area), but it fell through. Stupid work, I didn't think asking for time off so I could meet my favorite author was acceptable. I just hope he's in California again someday.

I would actually like to confirm my realness by meeting any of you, but I can never seem to get it together when it comes to going to get-togethers. [Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pic, congrats.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the pic! Your big happy grin made my day. I agree about vicarious thrills.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that you are half-real now, as he is only one person. If his wife was there, as she often is, she would make you real.

Although they would technically have to post here saying so. [Wink]

As far as real vs not real......I personally held one of those Hatrack picnics, and I don't think less of anyone who isn't "real", nor does anyone I know, real or not. It is just a fun thing to talk about, and a fun reason to hold more Hatrack picnics/gatherings.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I've spoken to people. Does that make me real?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... I was in San Diego today. Hm. Went to the Zoo today.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I would say that you are half-real now, as he is only one person.

Conveniently, as he has met at least 2 "real" Hatrackers (e.g., Slash and Olivet at the first Writer's Workshop, among many more), OSC has also had realness conferred upon him, so yes, he can indeed be one of the ones to infect others. As it were. [Wink]

---

Edited to note: For purposes of clarity, we should note that realness can be conferred retroactively; i.e., if someone is made real, then people they have met before turning real now also have at least half of the condition met, retroactively.

That was decided at the official meeting, right? With the banners and the hair spray?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

And the go-go boots.

Wait, that was just me......

Nevermind.

[Wink]

Yes, if you become real and you had met someone else before that, it still can count if you vouch for them.

Elmer, no....it has to be a face to face meeting, and they have to know who you are on Hatrack. If you met someone and they didn't know you screen name, but you told them later that would work as well.

In reality this all started because of the large number of alts people had. It has morphed into a meme though, hopefully one that is fun and a bit silly. It isn't made to make people feel bad if it doesn't apply to them, but rather to get them to meet IRL other Jaquertos.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think those Hatrackers who have met in excess of 100 real Hatrackers should have a special degree of reality.

Not that I know anyone like that . . . *whistles*

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
That's awesome! Did you do anything else at ComicCon? And, unless I missed something (again) how did you make it?

I called in at work and told them I couldn't go. Told them it was personal, gave them a few details and stuff. They said it was a no-go, but it didn't matter to me because whether they had excused it or not I would've gone anyway. Even if it had cost my job, I would've gone. There was absolutely no way I wouldn't have gone to ComicCon to meet him.
He's one of the people who's had the most impact in my life. How could I say no to him? It would've cheated me out of the experience of a lifetime and I know I would've regretted it forever. Retail jobs are a dime a dozen, there's only one OSC.

[ July 28, 2008, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Alt, I'm so ...simultaneously jealous and ecstatic for you. I'm glad this thread was on top because it made me smile real big. Vicarious pleasure sure can be sweet. And I would definitely write something similar concerning OSC, and be happy of the company it put me in [Wink] .

Oh, and I say you're real. Maybe not by the rules, but you said my eyes were hypnotizing and that you wanted them for Christmas (I looked back at the comments on the photos... that was back in 2006!), so you're real by my book. [Smile]

Can I get them for this Christmas then? :B
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!

I remember the day I met OSC. I skipped class to drive down to Provo to meet him at a signing, and he signed my book and we even talked a little bit about other things. I was absolutely floating. I went to class the next day and my professor asked me if I'd fallen in love, because I looked transported. I remember everything about that day, and it still ranks as one of the Best. Days. Ever. So much fun. I am content.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Noooooo I wanna be real, it was hard enough to type before I became a figment of my own imagination.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I think those Hatrackers who have met in excess of 100 real Hatrackers should have a special degree of reality.

Not that I know anyone like that . . . *whistles*

I do believe that rivka is surreal.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL] (almost literally)
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i've met jon hecht in person and spoke with at least 3 others over skype.

Get skype.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bummed I wasn't in L.A. this summer or I most assuredly woulda gone to ComicCon. Even though I had no idea OSC would be there.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, it appears that you are feeling much better now than you were a few days ago!

Now I wish I could see Mr. Card.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I met him and his wife in Boston a few years ago, and they were both very cool.

All the vendors said OSC was the ONLY author they met who made a point of meeting them, and he had no problems if they wanted their books signed, as long as they didn't raise their prices because of his signature while he was there....and he checked back with their booths to make sure they weren't lying to him as well. [Smile]

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never get to meet OSC.

What, with the restraining order and all. 500 yards is a helluva long ways, you know...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Altįriėl!
I would love to meet OSC myself.
And yes... you are an official Hatracker. [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I met Mr. Card and glimpsed his wife about a year ago when Empire just came out. He was very gracious and though I'd like to say we had some sort of transcendent conversation it was more along the lines of,

Me: We miss you on the hatrack forums.

Mr. Card: Oh? What's your alias on hatrack?

Me: BlackBlade

Mr. Card: Oh...

Me: I'm still pretty new on those forums.

Mr. Card: Well whenever I log on it's usually to the Orson Scott Card side of the forums to answer questions.

Me: Thanks for signing my books.

Mr. Card: You're very welcome.

Maybe next time...Though I must say Mr. Card has a very pleasant sounding voice. Mrs. Card also has a very cute personality. Next time I see him I'll probably mention that I had a fairly unique anecdote concerning him that I posted on the forums that he responded to and perhaps that will jog his memory.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Me: BlackBlade

Mr. Card: Oh...

Well, you gotta say you made quite an impression. [Smile]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to two book signings, and as silly as it seems, I was so pleased with myself when Mr. Card remembered me the second time.

I was so excited for the first one, but it was in Pittsburgh and I didn't have my copy of Maps in a Mirror with me, and I wanted that book signed more than any of the others.

Still, the first meeting was probably the better one, since Mrs. Card was there as well and we talked briefly about the Hatrack forums, and both of them knew my screen name despite the fact that I so rarely post.

Congratulations, Alt, I understand how excited you were. Nice picture, by the way.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
It's one of those things that's fun, but doesn't really matter.

And I've worked so hard to be real! [Cry]

Alty, I'm glad you got to meet OSC. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.