FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Artemis Fowl Graphic Novel

Author Topic: Artemis Fowl Graphic Novel
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

- posted      Profile for L_mustang94           Edit/Delete Post 
I meade a review of the Artemis Fowl Graphic Novel. Here it is.

I have just recently recieved the Artemis Fowl graphic novel from my loving Aunt, who knows that the love Artemis Fowl more than I do life. When I saw it I was extremely excited. I’m thinking that if this book is coming out then the movie soon will follow. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed by the artwork of the many of the main charaters.

One main character I am extremely concerned about is the giant bodyguard, Domivoi Butler. In my mind I expected him to be around maybe 6′ 5″ with short brown crew cut with a normal neck. In the graphic novel however, his neck is bulging profusely from the suit of his jacket threatening to tear what must be a very expensive designer suit.

Another character’s artwork that attracted my attention is the robber Mulch Diggims, or, as known in later books, the Grinch. My idea of him is that he looks kind of like of the Seven Dwarfs, but with a closer cut beard. I also imagined him with rectangular teeth. In the graphic novel he looks less like my idea of what he should look like to the character Mole, from the movie Atlantis.

A third character that has attracted my attention is Commander Julius Root. I had expected the elves to look more humanly. Instead, the great Commander Root looks more a like a crime boss. The crime boss I am not speaking about the notorious Jon Spiro, but about the crime boss from the movie Space Jams. With Root having the cigar and the satilitte ears, he looks exactly like the crime boss from space jams.

There is another minor character drawing that has me totally petrified. This character in question is the troll. I thought tha the troll would look more like a very, very large human mixed with a panther for the the long claws, and a wild boar with the tusks sticking out of the side of the mouth. But instead, the troll is green with sickly, green tusks coming from it’s chin, not the sides of the mouth. It completely horiffied me when I saw, and I don’t me I was scared or repulsed.

Another character that I would have loved to see the way I pictured him is the paranoid centuar Foaly. I expected him to look more human, like the centuars from Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia. In the graphic novel Foaly looks more part green ape and horse than part human and horse.

Another very minor group of characters whose artwork concerns me are the goblins. I expected them to look more human with long noses and a snakes skin, but instead they look like minurature part human, part dragon.

I also have some issues with some of the Lep’s equipment. The helmet’s, unlike in the Artemis Fowl files, are very low tech for what was described in the book. The wings are also way to big that what was described in the book.

There are two more complaints that I have just recieved. One is that Holly Short’s eyes are green instead of hazel, which is mentioned in the 5th book, and that Artemis looks like he’s wearing eyeliner and mascara all the time.

For now I am done critisizing the book, but if you would like to voice your own complaints about it then please leave a comment along with the reviews.

This post is due to change with your comments.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ick, I share your grief.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
L_mustang94
Member # 11693

- posted      Profile for L_mustang94           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have anything to add?
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

???

I went to the official website while I think Holly, Artemis and the Demons are alright I agree with you that Butler has been horribly mutated, he should have been a tall Eurasian man who exuded strength through his bearing and sheer professionalism not through how many muscles he has.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an excellent reason why:

a) you should never use your imagination.
b) you should never look at pictures of things.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually I am of the persuasion that rather then say use my imagination to give characters a "voice" in novels if there is for example a movie I use the voices from the movie. This is the case for LOTR and HP.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, some of us read LotR well before the movies existed and had no choice.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Thats your fault for not having a time machine. *smug*
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't know if I'd see the Artemis Fowl movie if it gets made, because I have such strong mental images of the characters. It'd be totally weird to see them on screen. Then again, I got past that with Harry Potter, so who knows. Though I think with Harry Potter I was more open to different interpretations than I am with Artemis Fowl.

Haven't read the graphic novel in a while, but yeah, i remember it being kind of unsettling because everyone looked different than I imagined them to be.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.