FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How OSC misunderstood Dark Knight (Spoilers)

Author Topic: How OSC misunderstood Dark Knight (Spoilers)
cmn
Member # 11706

- posted      Profile for cmn   Email cmn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC is wrong in thinking Batman made a moral choice to save Dent over Rachel. He clearly tells Gordon on his way out that he's going after Rachel. He has no reason to lie, because this would simply prevent Gordon's having any chance at saving the other person. I think we're supposed to understand that the Joker, having already seen Batman choose Rachel by jumping out the window after her while he was threatening Dent, knows he will choose her again. He thus gives Batman the two addresses in reverse. Because the whole point of this exercise to the Joker is not to kill Dent, but to try to drive him crazy. For that Dent needs to survive.

So does Batman's choice render him any less of a hero?

[Included spoiler warning. --PJ]

[ August 01, 2008, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. [Wave]

Generally if a thread contains spoilers we indicate that fact in the thread title. Perhaps with a (Spoilers). You can still edit the title.

I can't really comment on the content of your post because I haven't seen it yet. [Smile]

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help thinking that's sort of warped morality though.

"Sorry, love of my life, woman I grew up with, BUT it would be better for Gotham if I saved Harvey instead of you."

fact is, don't they both do the same job? Harvey just gets more props though, but Rachel wants justice too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
There was already a thread on this on the other side.
And he went to save Rachel.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
orlox: It's a comment on a review that has spoilers. There will be spoilers in the comment, that's pretty clear. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
WHOA ARGH WHOA

oh god I just got the crap spoiled outta me

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a given that posters read the OSC articles on the front page...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, reading a thread criticizing an article you haven't read is a bit weird, don't you think?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I do it all the time. Then I sometimes go read the original article if the fuss is interesting. I read Hatrack threads all the time because the forum is bookmarked, but I don't normally think to check other parts of the site.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think choosing Dent is a warped morality. It's a straightforward morality that is nonetheless not one that is easily followed by people with close personal relationships. I continue to believe Batman meant to save Dent; it's the only thing that fits with the point of the movie. (I'm impervious to evidence, I think it was just planted there to mollify audience members of test screenings who were outraged that Batman wouldn't try to save the girl like they've been trained to expect by decades of romanticized entertainment. [Razz] )
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, reading a thread criticizing an article you haven't read is a bit weird, don't you think?
Heck, I'm reading a review of a review of a movie I've not seen.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

See, that to me is something else. I'll read a movie review for something I'll see, sometimes even if it has spoilers. Reading the review takes comparatively little time and it lets me decide whether I'd like to see it or not. Reading a critique of a review, of comparable size, without reading the review first, seems useless; if I see a thread like this before reading the review, I'll go read the review first.

Not that it matters if you read this thread first. [Smile] But I wouldn't be mad to see the same spoilers in here as in the original review, even without warning. I doubt that a thread like this could be written without using spoilers anyway; how can you talk about misunderstanding something without mentioning that something?

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think choosing Dent is a warped morality. It's a straightforward morality that is nonetheless not one that is easily followed by people with close personal relationships.
I think it make the story great if he did, but then why not have a shot of Wayne attending Dawes funeral, grimacing condolences. I thought the Joker switched the addresses.

From the Review:

quote:
And this is the morally right choice. It is exactly the choice that parents make when they send their children off to war, or into the police force or the fire department. If anything, the love of parents for children is greater than the love mates have for each other. Yet, when the needs of the overall society -- the city, the nation -- require it, parents make the choice to permit it, even to honor and embrace letting their children go into harm's way.
This is spot on.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He clearly tells Gordon on his way out that he's going after Rachel.
It is not so clear. It's hard to hear exactly what he says, but when I watched it, I thought he told Gordon to get Rachel.

"Where are you going?" "Get Rachel."

I suspect that it was purposely confusing so that we wouldn't know what was happening.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was going to get Rachel.

I also thought - for separate reasons that I can't quote from memory - that there was a clear statement that the Joker switched the addresses.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
quote:

From the Review:

[QUOTE]And this is the morally right choice. It is exactly the choice that parents make when they send their children off to war, or into the police force or the fire department. If anything, the love of parents for children is greater than the love mates have for each other. Yet, when the needs of the overall society -- the city, the nation -- require it, parents make the choice to permit it, even to honor and embrace letting their children go into harm's way.

This is spot on.
I still think that's a bit warped...
I'd rather go to war myself then let any future child of mine do that...
Them being on the police force or being a fire fighter, slightly different thing, somewhat simular. But it's not just the risk of dying in the war, it can really take a toll on a person's mind and soul. I think it's MORE moral to make the sacrifice yourself then to ask them to do that.
Kamikaze soldiers come to mind.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it twice, and if I'm remembering correctly, when Gordon and Batman ran out the door, Gordon said, "Who are you going after?" And the immediate response was, "Rachel." Remember, in the interrogation scene, it comes out that Joker knows that Batman at least has a thing for Rachel. It would be like him (the Joker) to switch who's at which address--agent of chaos and all that.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmn
Member # 11706

- posted      Profile for cmn   Email cmn         Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies to anyone I spoiled. I guess I assumed you wouldn't read this if you hadn't already seen the movie and read OSC's article to which I was responding. I'll be more careful in future.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's MORE moral to make the sacrifice yourself then to ask them to do that.
It's a nice thought, but sometimes the world doesn't permit you that option.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't mean the alternative is better, just because you're unable to follow the better choice.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is exactly the choice that parents make when they send their children off to war, or into the police force or the fire department.
This is not entirely up to the parents, and it isn't an equivalent analogy. Rachel wasn't asked if she was willing to be sacrificed.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.