FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HELP! I've run out of books ... GASP

Author Topic: HELP! I've run out of books ... GASP
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Well OK I haven't really run out of books, but I could do with some help.

I tend to not sleep very well, and when I can't sleep what works best for me is to read kids books / fantasy / sci fi. I'm not saying these books are boring, I love the books too, but they are help my overactive brain can let go of whatever is preoccuping it!

I can happily send myself to sleep with our beloved host, Tamora Pierce, David Gemmell, JK Rowling . . . but having now read all their works at least three times each I beginning to get a little bored.

Any suggesting for other authors to try?

Thanks!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Lois McMaster Bujold and Octavia Butler.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Sherwood Smith.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Garth Nix's Abhorsen series.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

Yup.

-----

Also, I've been reading a lot of Murakami lately. It's not fantasy per se, but there are definitely fantastical elements in most of his stuff.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to read Octavia Butler as mr_porteiro_head recommended, I would specifically recommend Kindred. Wonderful book.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, that should keep me going for a bit!
Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
George R. R. Martin
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

This is the only correct answer.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I'm actually writing an essay on the Nix series right now. I wrote a 10 page research paper on the character of Sameth already...and for my take-home final I have to write another short essay and get to pick which young adult book I use so I chose Nix again. [Smile]

I love this class I'm taking - I wrote my first essay in the class on Ender's Game. [Big Grin]

At any rate, this is one of those cases where close reading and study of a work has made me appreciate and enjoy it even more - so I'm on a big Garth Nix kick right now and recommending him to everyone.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

I recently reread the Abhorsen series, and was absolutely blown away. Again. One of those series that's even better the second time around. I also passed them on to my dad, who hasn't been able to put them down. He doesn't read much, but when he finds a book he likes, he becomes completely engrossed and spends all of his free time reading.

Did you hear that he's writing a prequel to the series? It's going to be about Chlorr of the Mask.

I've read Shade's Children (which was really good) but haven't read any of his other series. Do you know if they're any good?

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I have not read any of the others, though I have read some of his short stories. I recommend "Charlie Rabbit" and "Hansel's Eyes."

Nix is amazing. My understanding is that his "Keys to the Kingdom" series is for younger children...so I guess that's why I haven't picked it up.

manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aragorn64:
Did you hear that he's writing a prequel to the series? It's going to be about Chlorr of the Mask.

I think his website mentioned two more Old Kingdom books, including the Chlorr of the Mask prequel, titled Clariel: the Lost Abhorsen. There's also going to be a sequel to Abhorsen.

Some authors I've been reading lately are Sherwood Smith, Patrick Rothfuss, and John C. Wright. I recommend Orphans of Chaos.

[ August 06, 2008, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: manji ]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

I have nothing against books written for younger children by principle or anything, so I might check out the Seventh Tower or Keys to the Kingdom series. I'm positive they won't have the same impact that the Abhorsen series has, but still. Also, I highly suggest Shade's Children.

Where can you find those two short stories? Are they in his "Across the Wall" collection (which I'm definitely going to pick up)?

Belle
Member # 2314

Yes, they are. [Smile] I borrowed that book from the library, and read them. Then, when my young adult lit class started up, she began the first night by passing out Garth Nix short stories. [Smile]

Both "Hansel's Eyes" and "Charlie Rabbit" had appeared in other anthologies previously, but were reprinted in the Across the Wall volume.

I've read Shade's Children - it's okay, definitely not as good as the Abhorsen series.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading the 5th book of the Keys to the Kingdom series. They're very enjoyable. Not as serious or beautiful as the Abhorsen series, but good, lighter reading.

I also read the Seventh Tower series, which was also very good, but also a little on the younger side. I would say that the writing is as good, the characters are interesting, but the subject matter is handled in a more child-friendly manner, and the plots aren't as complex.

Both sets are great reads though.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Something annoyed me about the Keys to the Kingdom series, I can't remember what ... maybe I just didn't enjoy the first one enough to justify buying the others. I'll have to check out that other one.

Two suggestions: Shannon Hale's Goose Girl. Hubby and I both loved that one.

And Jane Austen.

<ducks and runs>

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Second for George Martin, I'm almost done with Clash of Kings.

Try out:
Lawrence Watt-Evans
Jim Butcher (Codex of Alera series or Dresden)

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Butcher is very enjoyable. I love Harry Dresden, but the Alera series is excellent as well.

I love Butcher for his "OMG he did NOT just write that!" moments - there are several in each series, where you as a reader just go "wow, he really went there!"

So, I'll second the Butcher recommendation, as well as George R.R. Martin.

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Julian May's Many Coloured Land series and its interconnecting Intervention and Galactic Milieu series. FANTASTIC reads.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel Abraham's The Long Price series is fantastic; I recommend it as heartily as I recommend Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Give Wen Spencer a try. It won't take you long to get through all her books as she only has eight or nine, but they're all fantastic light reads.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.